SS Garden thread 2011, post your pics here!!

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nothing 'bout snow here. My little Cobalt is surrounded by a drift up to the bottom of the passenger door windows. Good thing the pickup truck is parked way at the end of the driveway where I will have to walk through 20 degree temperatures and 30 mph winds. Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

Annette

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
72 degrees here today but I doubt we're done with the cold just yet.
I ordered my seeds this morning.
286_p1010017.jpg

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Just got the fence put in for the garden area and we are hoping to get the raised beds done today. Gonna start some seeds this weekend I think. I'll get pics once they are done!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
All we have growing at the moment is garlic, but Whoohoo I love garlic!

:weee

319_garlic_rising.jpg
[/img]

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Late last summer, I planted a bunch of broccoli in the hopes that it would produce before first frost. Well, we had an early frost, so I made a mini-greenhouse on my back deck by covering the empty frame of a porch swing with some plastic, and I shoved the broccoli in there. Then the real cold weather hit, and when I looked, they had all collapsed into a frozen mess. I forgot about it until yesterday, when I went out to prepare the containers for new seeds...and there were a half-dozen broccoli plants, alive and well! Okay, maybe not really well, exactly, because some of the lower leaves were yellowed and wilted, but still...I cleared out the dead stuff around them and mulched them and they're going strong.

This will be the first year that I will get to use chicken poop in my garden. In the fall I cleaned out the straw and poop from under my deck, where the chickens spend most of their time, and covered my raised beds with it. The rotting straw has kept the dirt from eroding, and hopefully the poop will have enriched the soil. :)

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beginning my garden this year:
Tomatoes and Tomatillos:
Heirloom Virginia Sweets
Bradley
Siletz
New Big Dwarf
Toma Verde Tomatillo
182970_1829948717823_1513518073_1898966_7537611_n.jpg

and-
Peppers and Pansys:
Purple Jalapeno
Tequila Hybrid
Mucho Nacho Hybrid
The Big Early Hybrid
Giant Marconi Hybrid
Swiss Giant Mixed Color Pansy
184832_1829948957829_1513518073_1898967_7070256_n.jpg

I hope we will be able to get our taters and onions in the ground when we need to, but we just had 2+ feet of snow melt and already today we have had over 2 inches of rain fall. It is muddy to say the least and St Patty's day is not that far away. DH tried to disc the garden a week ago and got stuck. :(

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing everyone's pics :) (except for babblingbrooks... lol )

We got 28 inches of snow yesterday/last night, so now if I look out the backyard I can just see the top two feet of the eight foot posts that hold my deer netting up... It's -11 with a windchill of -27 today (celcius)... blah... I've still got seven weeks before I can start my seeds inside...

Latest posts