SSDreamin Blessings and curses

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well the good news is the larger the bat the less likley it is to bite...(and bats are incredibly unlikley to bite in the first place...)
but larger bats tend to be incredibly placid (look at fruit bats....i swear there the hippies of the bat worl...peace and love man...peace an love!!!

in terms fo getting ri of him...simplest solution if youve got power in there, leave a light on block all possible entrances an exits with secure netting except one or 2, on those 2 put a LARGE peice of mesh/netting/screen, it nees to be "movable" attatch form the outside it needs to be much larger than the entrance/exit point and secure from the ousie...
your going to attatch it like a flap the bat cralws out through the entrance/exit they dont fly out usually, so the iea behind the "check valve" is the bat can crwl out form the insie theyl push lightly on the net form the ins pusing it forward and can climb out from under it...
but when they get home they cant get back in because the mesh covers the hole an bats arnt likely to crawl own then back up hence wanting it larger...

http://nwco.net/0530-StepThreeNonlethalToolsAndTechniques/5-4-OnewayDoors.asp
has a picture of what im trying to describe...

the iea being he leaves to go fe and cant get back in and so ecides to go elsewhere.

some people have also had good luc with mothballs.

Personally i LOVE bats...not in the house obviously, but there will be MANY bat boxes going up around here as i get the money to build them.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for that link, Pinky! I bookmarked it for the hubster - he swears it's gone, but I have my doubts! We have several bats outside, which I am fine with, but not inside :/ Bats always dive bomb me, even outside sometimes, which creeps me out to no end!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief, they're not going to get tangled up in your hair-they're going for bugs. W/their echolocation system, and agility in flying, they're able to find a bug near you, grab it, and not end up in your hair. I'll admit, if they swoop near me, it does freak me out a bit, but they're so neat to watch.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Oh I LOVE bats! Wish some would crawl in my bat box and take up residence :/

Glad you figured out your bread issues! :woot

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:weee :bun :bun :weee

I just got the news - This will be DH's last week out of town! Well, for a while, anyways. His boss wants him to 'put out some fires' :rolleyes: at two other job sites - both of which are within driving distance of home! It's kind of serendipity too - I cried my eyes out after he left on Sunday, because I just didn't want him to go anymore (I try hard to NOT do that in front of him, because it makes it so much harder on him). I guess my limit is 1 1/2 years :p I do realize that this is going to be a big adjustment, for everybody. DS and I are used to no set meal time, make a racket at midnight if we wanna and even the dog gets riled up and barks while goofing off with DS... I know it's going to be tough to 'change back' but I am so excited to have the hubster home! :celebrate

lazyday

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Sounds to be such good news. Is he gone 1 1/2 years at a time :ep it be like a honeymoon all over again.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lol, they ive bomb you because they have no idea your actually a living breathign (fgithen) object...to them your just an odd shaped wall...its not untill folks start moving an flailing about that there like "holy hell avert avert, evasive manouvers, duck dive" because sudenly YOUR throgin their flight patterns off...
generally if you just take a breath and stand there youll be amazed at how they can get within 1/2 inch of you and turn on a dime.

I used to do bat rehab...i WISH i could do it here in TN but for whatever stupid damned reason it is ILLEGAL to rehabilitate bats in this state...
youdthing with the country battling a declining bat population theyd be recruiting vector folks to take these little critters in after a cat attack and such...assuming there not showing symptoms of white nose or rabies youd think they want as many possible rehabbed an released back into the wild, and bat rehabbers are actually realy good for helping control white nose because they can help identify it in wild populations based on ill bats comming in and where they were found ect...
but NOOOO...

part of me always wante a "pet" fruit bat lol particuarly Pteropus vampyrus (which has nothign to do with vampires and eats bugs and nectar/fruit jucie...its a fruit vampire! LOL!)

YAY on hubby being close to home for a while! :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
You are so weird SSD :lol: You're wanting your hubster home, and I'm enjoying the peace and quiet of mine being gone right now ;) I KNOW how the over the road mess is though....it's TOUGH! We did it for 3 years, and then me and the kids picked up and followed him and lived out of a travel trailer for a few years and homeschooled. It is SO hard sometimes. Glad he is getting to be home for a while :)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
lazyday said:
Sounds to be such good news. Is he gone 1 1/2 years at a time :ep it be like a honeymoon all over again.
Thankfully no, he only works out of town during the week, although there were several weeks he worked 7's. If he had been gone all that time, I would've done exactly as WBF did - load up and travel with! I'd miss my grumpy hubby too much to be apart that long ;)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
You are so weird SSD :lol: You're wanting your hubster home, and I'm enjoying the peace and quiet of mine being gone right now ;) I KNOW how the over the road mess is though....it's TOUGH! We did it for 3 years, and then me and the kids picked up and followed him and lived out of a travel trailer for a few years and homeschooled. It is SO hard sometimes. Glad he is getting to be home for a while :)
I thought about you being happy to get your hubby out of the house for a while each day when I wrote that :lol: They are bidding on projects in IL though, so I'm thinking I should enjoy the time at home while I can :/ I can't see me giving up my animals, but I wonder if campgrounds would frown on an enclosed trailer full of chickens, pigs and cows?! :p