SSDreamin Blessings and curses

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
lol, they ive bomb you because they have no idea your actually a living breathign (fgithen) object...to them your just an odd shaped wall...its not untill folks start moving an flailing about that there like "holy hell avert avert, evasive manouvers, duck dive" because sudenly YOUR throgin their flight patterns off...
generally if you just take a breath and stand there youll be amazed at how they can get within 1/2 inch of you and turn on a dime.

I used to do bat rehab...i WISH i could do it here in TN but for whatever stupid damned reason it is ILLEGAL to rehabilitate bats in this state...
youdthing with the country battling a declining bat population theyd be recruiting vector folks to take these little critters in after a cat attack and such...assuming there not showing symptoms of white nose or rabies youd think they want as many possible rehabbed an released back into the wild, and bat rehabbers are actually realy good for helping control white nose because they can help identify it in wild populations based on ill bats comming in and where they were found ect...
but NOOOO...

part of me always wante a "pet" fruit bat lol particuarly Pteropus vampyrus (which has nothign to do with vampires and eats bugs and nectar/fruit jucie...its a fruit vampire! LOL!)

YAY on hubby being close to home for a while! :)
I can honestly say that I can NOT picture myself standing still while a bat flies over me! I would look more like this: :weee only without the big smile on my face :lol:

I think I'm a bat magnet. We've had four, three of which were IN the house, since we've been married :ep Come to think of it, I've ONLY had to deal with them since DH came into the picture, so I think I'm gonna blame it ALL on him :plbb

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well pagans an native americans would tell you mabe its time to listen to bat...
bat has powerful medicine, they teach us how to find our way through even the darkest nights and tell us to look within...
geneally in totemistic teachings someone regularly seeing bats would be told to go into themselves, that somehting internally is pulling them in many directions and your a little lost and having trouble finding your way through...and bat is telling you to focus on what FEELS right rather than what looks right...

:D

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmmm... Think you might have something there Pinky! ;)

I finally broke down and canned up the butter, or at least 22 half pints of it anyway. I kind of hate doing butter, because everything has to be extremely clean and well sanitized before I start. The sanitized part is easy (run the sanitize cycle in the DW :D ) but the rest of it, not so easy. The animals (dog & cat) are NOT allowed in my kitchen, but even so there is hair everywhere in there! :sick I am a huge slob, and hate housework, but hair where I cook is never acceptable to me. Since I've been down, and the DS and DH have been handling things, my kitchen has gotten hairier than usual :sick So I had to sweep, mop, scrub and wash every surface to get ready for butter.

I hate to admit how foolish I was, but here goes: I made sweet cucumber chunks. I was tired and wanted to hurry things up, so I plopped them in the pressure canner. Yeah, I got sweet cucumber mush, couldn't even make relish out of it :p The chickens were thrilled with it. I am kicking myself. :p

We are working on getting the pig pen set up and fenced in this weekend, because the hubster worked a deal with a buddy at work and we're getting two feeders in two weeks :celebrate We'll be swimming in Pork! Not to mention the half a pig we have coming in a week :ep I plan on canning a whole bunch of carnita's and bacon :D

I took a break from drying the taco rocks and hamburger rocks (still have 50# of venison in the freezer, and I hope to get at least 35# of it done up before youth hunt rolls around ) and did up some hot peppers. I sliced up a mess of jalapenos - and sliced my finger and bled like crazy :lol: but left the Thai's and super chili's whole. Already tested the dried jalapeno's on some homemade bean dip last night. This is the first time I've dried jalapeno's, and I'm not sure why. We burn through them (haha, pun intended) all year. Think I'll do up more before the plants give out, if I can rig up a small holder for peppers for my mandolin! The cut on my finger is right underneath my nail, so it hurts, and jalapeno juice made it SO much worse! I'm thinking a small block of wood with a nail poking out just enough to hold the pepper upright? If they didn't always lay down, I'd just use my processor :/

:weee A friend of mine invited us to the races tomorrow night! They have a skybox! Never been in one, but it sounds cool! :gig Her son used to race with DS, and now races there - we've never been there (it's a Nascar sanctioned track!), and I have wanted to go see him run but have been too sick. Now we get to go for free!!! I'm SOOOOOO excited!! We have missed out on going to ANY of the tracks and watching the kids DS used to run with because of me, so I'm happy we get this chance. I am not 100% - I think I've developed an infection :( but I am going anyways! The guys are all geeked up! It's fun to see the kids, and see how far they've advanced - one kid DS ran with is now in Arca! (Arca is just a few steps down from Sprint cup! If he keeps it up, we'll get to cheer him on as he runs against Jimmie Johnson, Tony Stewart and Jeff Gordon!!). :weee I can't wait for tomorrow night :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Have fun. I can't go to races-they're too loud for me. And, watching them on TV is boring. :/

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The races were fun! The skybox was too fancy for us - it was air conditioned (which we are not used to) and smelled closed up and musty, and full of people, so we spent most of our time outside :p We spent part of our time explaining what was going on/why the cars were loud and shooting fire to some out-of-town guests my friend had invited and my friends mother :lol: I sometimes forget that not everyone who shows up at a race track is as much of a fanatic as me :D

Today is my (...?!##!?...) birthday! Yes, that's right, I am 29, again ;) I am sad to say that it's a pretty hard sell these days, and I suppose I'll have to turn 30 next year so certain people quit rolling their eyes at me :cool: I have been canning dilly beans, spaghetti sauce and extreme hot sauce today, plus drying hot peppers, mushrooms and celery and doing laundry. Unfortunately, the garden waits for no birthday, so it must be done. Hubby brought me a German Chocolate cake home :drool I can really taste the weirdness of the commercial frosting, and had hoped for a homemade cake, but I'll never tell him that! Last time I showed the slightest disappointment (with a Christmas present) was the last time I received a present from him :( DH also wants to take everybody out to eat tonight, but I know there is only $35 in the bank, and I really don't want fast food, so I hope he changes his mind and cooks at home. There IS the problem of me leaving dirty canning dishes all over the kitchen that he'll have to clean up first (my main rule is I DON'T DO DISHES ON MY BIRTHDAY!!! I dirty a bunch, but I refuse to wash them :p )

Need to get out and gather more herbs to dry today. I am very pleased with almost all the herbs I planted this year. I should've planted more Thyme, because it is tiny, but everything else is growing like weeds! I should have enough dried basil, sage and oregano to last us for at least 2 years! The one that has grown the best though, is lemon balm. I only wanted a little to try for making tea, but it looks like I need to come up with some more recipes for it :lol:

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Wow, mine is Friday! I hope you had a great birthday sis! :hugs

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Ya know, things are just WAYYYY to similar between you to :lol: its a tad weird :p :hide

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Happy Birthday! Glad to see I'm not the only one who hasn't gotten any older than 29. :D