SSDreamin Blessings and curses

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
Love the fire place backer! You can do tile work fo rme anytime. I really enjoy remodeling jobs - but what I love the best is when they are FINISHED!!! :)
Finished is scary to me - every single time we have finished remodeling a home, DH immediately wanted to find another project house and move! I do enjoy seeing my 'vision' of what it 'could be' come to life though! :)
After Hurricane Ike we had to replace my entire kitchen....geeze what a mess! Tore everything out to the bare walls and replaced all cabinets and counter tops. Not complaining too much because I finally got my granite counter tops. I had just enough insurance to cover the kitchen re-do - but it left a LOT of stuff for us to do out of our own pocket. :( I looked at granite, drooled over it for a minute, then woke up! This project is being paid for with Christmas money from my Father- he has begun to attach strings to his gifts. He gave up buying gifts, because the things my stepmother buys are totally wasted on us, and just giving us money resulted in us applying it all to bills. We now have to 'prove' that we bought something enjoyable with it :rolleyes:
BarredBuff Very, very nice kitchen! It is nice now, but I'm hoping it's much better and more of a working kitchen when we're done!
Thanks Deb, and I hope so! :D

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Love, love love the tile project you did! :bow

I am also drooling over your kitchen! :drool Yay...another clean spot in the camper now! :gig

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
Love, love love the tile project you did! :bow
Thanks! It took quite a while to try to piece the cut-offs and what-not into something that looked like it belonged together :p Best part was, it only cost me $5, and that was just because DH offered to cut the only two pieces of one kind of tile for me, and it didn't go so well so I had to buy a whole sheet :lol:

I am also drooling over your kitchen! :drool Yay...another clean spot in the camper now! :gig
I was sooooo excited to get this kitchen - it's twice as big as any I've ever had! It just needs a little improving to be my 'perfect' kitchen and, since DH is off and we've 'collected' most of what we need, it seems like the perfect time to get started. Best part is, the 'scraps' from this job should be just enough to do the bathroom with (well, all but the tub, which I'd like to redo. Right now it's olive green :sick )
Clean spot...that's funny :lol:

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Two dogs - a pit mix and what looks like a chow mix- attacked my pig girls this morning!! Ice Cream started bellowing like crazy, so DH went out to check. The pigs were screaming! The dogs had broke down the triple wire electric fence! He ran out there and put both dogs down (they were both still inside the pig pasture, still attacking). Our biggest pig was pretty tore up :hit - DH took her to the vet. The smaller one is scratched up a bit, and won't stop shaking from fear!! Both dogs had tags - we called animal control, they contacted the owner (who lives a quarter mile from here). The guy came right over, and took his dogs. Animal control said the owner will be liable for all costs associated with the pig/fence repair. We decided to have her checked, to see if we can save her, but I'm not holding out much hope - she had chunks missing :( DH is really upset - the pig girls follow him around like puppies. Now, if we lose the big girl, the guy agreed to pay for a replacement pig. Those girls were so attached to each other, I don't know how the smaller one will do, or if she'll fight with a new pig, or what - but I'm also worried about if she'd survive the winter alone. Right now, she's sitting (actually sitting - which would be cute if it wasn't so sad) at the gate, waiting for her sister pig to come back :hit

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
pigs are dang resiliant and she may just suprise you. Vetrmycin for the wounds. shock and infection are the 2 biggest risks.

least hes willing to do the right thing in terms of money but that realy sucks, not only about the pigs butt hat hubby had to put them down, thats never an easy thing *hugs*

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm so sorry! What a horrible thing to have happen. I'm glad you were home and could act quickly - you probably saved the second pig with your husband's quick actions. Keep us updated.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's terrible! Have you had issues with those dogs before? Were they normally kept penned or chained, I wonder? We'll be thinking of you and hoping Big Pig survives. So sad for the little one. :hugs

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Sorry you had to deal w/that. Hope the Big Pig is OK. :hugs