Staying home now...what ways can I save money over working?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Jared I'm very interested in your post. We could sure use free chicken!

I giggle as I start to think of how to compose an ad like that.

Me hungry. You have any chickens with bad personalities? :lol:

Or

Is a rooster awakening you in the morning? Rooster pickup with a free trip to freezer camp!

Or

?
:pop

Jared77

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
*BEEP BEEP* All aboard the freezer bound express!!! :lol:

Still don't have enough posts on here yet to link...did you find the article I posted regarding the ALBC? If not send me a PM or email and Ill get it to you. Good info for cook times and temperatures for those who are new to cooking older birds.

Here's her ad...... posted under "for sale / wanted > farm & garden" section of our local craigslist

Willing to take old/mean/annoying/unwanted HEALTHY chickens and roosters, any size, breed or age (banty or large fowl). They will treated humanely and will be used to help feed my family.

They will NOT be used for fighting, be abused, or neglected. I have my own flock of hens and two roosters.

Will pick up within a 20 mile radius of XXXXX on weekends.
She processes banties too. Makes shredded chicken out of them, then makes stock from whats left of the banties. Low and slow, and you've got some great chicken meals. She's told me she gets all sorts of emails and usually get addtional offers when she pulls up. Wife/husband will come out and say "please take this one or that one too". She's even gotten some ameracuas (the real blue eggers not Easter eggers) that were molting and the owner thought they quit laying and wanted to get rid of them. She noticed the feathers coming in and figured she'd give them a reprieve to see if they'd finish their molt and lay. If not they'd be food like she originally planned. They finished their molt and resumed laying. Now they are in her layer flock. They'll be food eventually but it wasn't their time yet.

Give it a try you'd be surprised what you'll get. She did say that some people lie to their kids and asked her not to tell the kids they were going to be food. So she'd say that they were going to go live with her other chickens (even if its only 24hrs while their systems empty so its easier to process them) and doesn't want to upset the kids since she feels its not her place to expose the lies the parents tell their children.

Besides even if you don't get anything right now, give it a while and repost it especially in the spring once the cute and fuzzy phase of chicks has worn off and the kids have moved onto other things. Its free to post so your not out anything but a few minutes to type up an ad. She said she also had someone ask her if they could contact her in a month since thats when their order for a new layer flock would be arriving and the old hens needed to go to make room for the new replacement layers. Something like 20 layers averaging 5-6lbs free all she's gotta do is pick them up when its time. How can you say no to that?!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well I think I'm going to try out that idea! I really like it. I think I would keep these chickens totally away from my own flock. My husband is rubbing his chin and saying "Excellent idea!".....now just to compose a serious ad......

Jared77

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I copied hers to give you an idea of how hers is written. Its to the point and explains what her intentions are no harm in that. She posts this and lets people come to her.

She keeps the incoming chickens far away from her own flock as well. No mingling. She follows pretty tight bio security but then they are only around for 24-48hrs and then they are processed. Just water, handful of scratch and thats it. After that she bleaches the dishes and wipes down the crate with a bleach solution and then folds it up till she needs it again. She actually houses them in a few old wire dog crates she got on craiglist too. Just something to contain them in till its time.

Just trying to help

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I actually own several old wire dog crates...and I've just placed an ad. I did NOT make it humorous like our posts here. People might have a beloved roo but not have any use for it...I don't want to make light of their feelings.

Thank you so much for this idea. I love chicken!

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:frow

Recently I have been reading a blog written by an English woman here in the UK. She feeds a family of 5 (plus the odd friend or two of her children) on 30 per week.......that is $47.64 US.

I think this is remarkable as she buys most of the food. She cooks mostly from scratch & provides balanced sensible meals. She has a host of recipes on her site.

http://thirty-quid.blogspot.com/

*****A 'quid' is old-fashioned Brit slang for a Pound (1) our unit of currency

I have nothing but admiration for her skills as I have for yours :bow

Hattie

Jared77

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I hope it works out for you.

No you can't make it funny you don't want to hurt anybodies feelings. Besides if you make light of the situation they may not take you seriously and not let you have their extras.

Nothing wrong with old layer hens either just like theres nothing wrong with banties. Its all in how you use them.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes! And what an adventure, who knows who you'll meet or in what other ways you may be able to barter with them!

Latest posts