Steam canner?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've done so and it worked out just fine. Been doing it for years, BB.

Mine has no temp gauge on top, nor a handle, the handles are located on the sides.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You can ever flip it over and it turns into a pot you can cook in if you have to. It's so very light wt that it's a joy to work with, easier to store, etc.

Do you still can? It's never too late to get one. :)

I don't can much at all these days, a few jars of tomatoes, some salsa. Last season I was pretty puny at the wrong time, so I just froze quartered and froze my tomatoes.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've used it in place of a water bath last year, and when I canned before my hiatus. I like it a lot better. Not nearly as messy or hot as water bath canning. I think your food turns out better in a steam canner too.

However, it is not an approved canning method by the USDA. But, I think it works well for high acid foods.

I'd never do a low acid food in it or a boiling water bath.

For the little canning that I've done the past couple of years, I did oven canning. Same thing, not approved, but it works for tomatoes and salsa.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Please tell me how that works???
Oven canning is slick for high acid foods. Preheat your oven to 250 degrees. Basically, your hot tomatoes go into sterilized jars, etc, just like regular canning. Put all the jars on a cookie sheet in the oven, leaving plenty of space between them. After 20 minutes, turn the oven off, but leave the jars in there for a few hours or overnight. If any have not sealed, pop them in the frig and use within a few days - that's never happened to me. Just remember that they have to cool down before you hear the familiar pop of sealing lids.

Please do your own google search for oven canning as there are a lot of varying opinions. I finally sided with a scientist who said there is no difference between 250 degrees in water or 250 degrees in air. It's still 250 degrees.

Since the majority of my canning jars are stored and used often in my kitchen, I always consider them clean. So to sterilize, I'll fill them with water and pop them in the microwave. Sure, I have to use a dish towel to handle them because they're stinking hot, but they stay hot while I'm filling other jars.

Last edited: