Steam canner?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The pioneers used to use something called a "Hay Box" which was exactly what it sounds like- a box filled with hay. In the morning they would put beans and whatever into the kettle and bring it to a full rolling boil for several minutes, then put the covered kettle into the box and nestle it into the hay so it was completely covered and insulated. The box sat on the wagon all day until they set camp, at which point it was pulled out of the box and dinner was ready!. The other thing they did was that if there were still leftovers in the pot, they just added new beans etc to the pot on top of the cooked ones, rather than start a new pot. I think it's a little like the everlasting soup pot where you just kept the pot at the side of the hearth all winter long, just adding new water and goodies and bringing to a rolling boil for a few minutes each day.

There's a new product that is pretty much a modern version of the old Hay Box called the Wonderbag:
https://www.amazon.com/Wonderbag-Non-Electric-Portable-Cooker-Cookbook/dp/B00ESI97YU?th=1

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I used to keep a corningware casserole dish in the fridge. Every night, when there were a few left overs, but not enough for a full serving, I'd put the left overs into that container. A few green beans, a bit of mac & cheese, half a pork chop, some stewed tomatoes, half a potato... it all went into that casserole dish. After a few days, I'd pull it out, add some broth and a few other ingredients, then heat it up. I called it "garbage soup". It was different every week, and always very tasty!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
@Marianne That's how I can my tomatoes. They always turn out beautifully, and store well. Oven canning works well for that.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The pioneers used to use something called a "Hay Box" which was exactly what it sounds like- a box filled with hay. In the morning they would put beans and whatever into the kettle and bring it to a full rolling boil for several minutes, then put the covered kettle into the box and nestle it into the hay so it was completely covered and insulated. The box sat on the wagon all day until they set camp, at which point it was pulled out of the box and dinner was ready!. The other thing they did was that if there were still leftovers in the pot, they just added new beans etc to the pot on top of the cooked ones, rather than start a new pot. I think it's a little like the everlasting soup pot where you just kept the pot at the side of the hearth all winter long, just adding new water and goodies and bringing to a rolling boil for a few minutes each day.

There's a new product that is pretty much a modern version of the old Hay Box called the Wonderbag:
https://www.amazon.com/Wonderbag-Non-Electric-Portable-Cooker-Cookbook/dp/B00ESI97YU?th=1

Exactly! I remember reading a couple of different ways to make stuff to accomplish the same. The easiest thing for me was to just wrap a couple of heavy bath towels around the pot and push it to the back of the countertop for the day. It works. Hmmm, I wonder why I don't do that now???

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I used my crockpot 2 days ago to convert a frozen chicken and rice casserole into hot chicken-n-rice soup. It worked great for this duty. I needed to simmer the cooked thighs and legs to defrost them and cook them enough to pick all the meat off the bones.
I recently bought an Instant Pot. That one is going to take a little time to learn how to use.
Our son bought an Instant Pot for us. Now I'm hooked on the thing. It stays on our countertop 24/7. Last night it had yogurt going. There are lots of recipes online for them.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bet they would. I usually put a couple of towels on top of my crock pot to help hold the heat in while stuff is cooking. And when I'm doing a night time crock pot session, I will often turn the pot off in the middle of the night, and wrap the pot in a couple towels.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wonder if one of those hot/cold bags would be good for such as that?
I don't know that they'd be insulated enough..? You know, to hold the temp all day?
I suppose if your pot fit inside a cooler, that might work. You'd still have to wrap a towel around the pot so it didn't melt the inside of the cooler.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well filling a small cooler with hot water and letting it bring the temp up before putting items in helps keep them warm. Just make sure it's a good cooler.