Stock up alert!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I support my local farmers, but until they grow ginger, chocolate, and cinnamon, I won't ever ever ever be a total locavore!

Ginger root (fresh) is about half what I usually pay for it. So I'm stocking up, chopping it in the food processor and freezing it. I use it primarily for chai tea which I drink by the bucket year round, so I can use a LOT of it.

I've heard that you can also immerse it in sherry and it will be shelf stable. But I used far too much for that to be reasonable.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yeah, everyones idea of SS is different, but if you only want to eat local FC, by all means do. that is hard to do with monoculture in most of north america. Ifthe majority of farmers started growing things other soy, corn or wheat, the world would be a much better place, but I digress.

I shop local and the sales and make sure my pantry is stocked from one season to the next. I put up all I can. (no pun intended.) and that includes things that are not grown around here. You basically have to.

And FC, do you really consider yourself "SS"?. Since you have decided to slow down and take it easy, you seem very critical of others here on the forum, and can't wait to take a jab at others for their SS endeavours.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Yeah, everyones idea of SS is different, but if you only want to eat local FC, by all means do. that is hard to do with monoculture in most of north america. Ifthe majority of farmers started growing things other soy, corn or wheat, the world would be a much better place, but I digress.

I shop local and the sales and make sure my pantry is stocked from one season to the next. I put up all I can. (no pun intended.) and that includes things that are not grown around here. You basically have to.

And FC, do you really consider yourself "SS"?. Since you have decided to slow down and take it easy, you seem very critical of others here on the forum, and can't wait to take a jab at others for their SS endeavours.
I need to hand out chill pills. you all take everything way to serious. sure sign of fatigue from working too hard in the garden and under the hot sun! :lol: lighten up people cause ya'll are a big downer :plbb

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Some people don't have the luxury of NOT taking current economic conditions seriously. It's kind of like my dad and time. He is retired. He has all the time in the world. He doesn't have anyone else relying on him at home or on a job so he thinks nothing of calling me at work in the middle of the day. Then he wonders why I don't have time to talk or why I sound like I am always in a hurry. "Whats the rush?" he asks. Since HE has no time pressure, he lacks the understanding the I DO have time pressures. I think it is some kind of empathy deficit disorder.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Good thread WZ. I'll keep a close eye out for deals and post them here. There is a store here that twice a year or so does really large meat sales. They bring the butchers out from behind the glass and have them cut up large pieces of beef etc. to order. (The name of the store is lost in my head right now, but I'll add it in when I find it up there. :p )

My farmer's market sells handmade chocolates and ginger roots. :D We go every Sat. for produce. Right now cherries are big here. YUM! Also walla walla sweet onions are in season. Actually, you can get just about anything you want b/c east of the mountains is very fertile farm land.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I know this will depend on where you live and what stores are near you, but things seem to go on sale at certain times of the year. post your stock up alerts here and give everyone a heads up!

My latest... Pinto beans. Safeway had 4lb bags for $2.49. I bought 6 :D

Cantaloupe are in season now. Rocky Ford melons are cropping up everywhere. Prices are up from last year at both the stores and the farmers market. Between $2-$3 a melon is common. If you can find some at a good price, get a few extra and melon ball them. Then toss in the freezer. To make sure you have a good melon, sniff it where the stem was. If it smells strongly of melon, it's nice and ripe
As I wistfully look at my melon patch with all those lovely orbs of soon-to-be-sweetness, I am leafing through the canning book, reviewing options for freezing, canning and dehydrating options. With the other local fruit already "put up", we won't be paying huge $$$'s in February for nearly-fresh fruit.

My eyes are already peeled for the last of this past years potatoes that are practically given away when the fall crop comes in.

As usual, a most excellent thread, WZ.... :cool:

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, I will also be keeping my eyes peeled for good deals to share. This is the (sadly) the first year I've even paid attention to the fact that prices change throughout the year. Oh well, better late than never!

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Stop the global economy crap.

People forget you can grow tropicals anywhere with the right care, no need for imports if u do it right

For example im in the north, i grow a coffee, mango, 2 chocolate,orange, i grew them from seedlings so no fruit yet. But the wait will be worth it. :ya
The seedlings are fragile, but once they get a few yrs the indoor winter survival rate increases and they will be able to survive. I have lost a few plants to stupidity, but the ones surviving are doing great!!

A suggestion for chocolate seedlings is serious summer shade, at times Till they are a few yrs old! Lol this is where i lost a few chocolate plants lol