Stock up alert!

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bimpnottin said:
Not really a local thing - kinda hard to grow rice in Wisconsin, but I just scored a 20# bag of rice for $4 at the local bent and dent store! WooHoo!
My in-laws are talking about growing some wild rice. They have a swampy area next to their house they think might work.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Well Bimp, wild rice is grown in MN. Too bad it is so expensive.

Rice isn't very nutritious, but it will fill a belly. Even I have a bag. But I also have nutritional yeast, dehydrated spinach, and other dried veggies to cook with it.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I GOT 25# OF PEACHES FOR 82 CENTS A POUND TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :celebrate

The blueberries were 5lb boxes for $12 - I bought 3 boxes!!

and I got 17 lbs of apples, $1.67 a pound - but unfortunately these weren't locally grown :p Locally grown ones will be in the end of September they told me, so come September I WILL get locally grown apples!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I GOT 25# OF PEACHES FOR 82 CENTS A POUND TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :celebrate

and I got 17 lbs of apples, $1.67 a pound - but unfortunately these weren't locally grown :p Locally grown ones will be in the end of September they told me, so come September I WILL get locally grown apples!
Are those average prices for you Aly?? Seems kinda high. :hide

g

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The apple prices are high for my area, but you couldn't touch those peach prices for nuthin'!!! I think the peach growers out here water their peach trees with gold plated watering cans and cover the trees with down blankets at night. Well, they should for the prices they charge! LOL

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The week before last my Food 4 Less/ Kroger had peaches for sale 3 lbs for a buck. I bought 30 lbs twice in 4 days. Then went back later in the week, all the peaches were gone. So I asked for a rein check. When the lady asked for how much I told her I wanted another 30 lbs. :hide

I went back early last week to get the peaches. It was a beautiful new crop of just gorgeous huge peaches that were back up to 89 cents per pound. I bagged up my 30 pounds @ 3 lbs per buck. The manager was a bit annoyed with me.

Oh well.

g

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Quail_Antwerp said:

Are those average prices for you Aly?? Seems kinda high. :hide

g
Well, I've normally seen blueberries at 1 pint for $3, and I *think* a pint is a pound? I could have that wrong - but I was excited when I got a pint of blueberries for $1.49 because that was cheap, so yes, I think the price on the blueberries was good?

the peaches yes! that was a good buy, because Becca's mom just paid more than a dollar a pound for her peaches (I don't remember the exact price) and the apples ARE kind of high, but at my local little stores, it's $4.98 for a small bag of apples, and you're lucky if you get 6 apples in the bag!

I can't wait until local grown bushels of apples are available! I think last year a vendor at Rogers was selling bushels of apples for $12 - and that's a GREAT buy!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went out to a u-pick place the other day and got lovely blueberries for $1.15/lb.