Stock up alert!

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Glad you find this all so amusing. Bless your heart.
Are you using Bless your heart in the "funny Southern sayings" way?.... :lol:

'Cause we all know what that means, God Love you.

Now to return to our regularly scheduled topic.

My Kroger will put pasta on sale 2X a year for about $.48/pound usually in the fall. I really stock up then.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Great idea for a thread!

BeccaOh called me on her way home from town today and told me that a store here, Buehlers, has double flats of blueberries for $12! I'm so going to get some hopefully tomorrow! I plan to see about canning some and measuring out and freezing some for pies! YAY!

She said they also had the peaches and apples in - and tomorrow they should have produce from Mt. Hope tomorrow - not sure on prices, but I'm so going to check it out and will be spending A LOT of time putting up some produce!

Food prices are going up, so I'm totally getting serious about preserving/canning this year! Better late than never!

Also, today Becca's mom and I made blackberry jam from the blackberries that E and kiddos had picked yesterday and this morning. I have frozen enough blackberries for 11 pies, and there's more to be picked! Plan to jam some more and freeze more for pies.

We also shredded zukes up and made zucchini jam. We then shredded the rest, measured and froze it to be used in bread or maybe more zucchini jam.

I hope to get some of the fresh produce all year as it comes in and can it up or freeze it- even pumpkins!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Did you say BLACKBERRY PIE?!?! :drool

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
We also shredded zukes up and made zucchini jam. We then shredded the rest, measured and froze it to be used in bread or maybe more zucchini jam.
I've never heard of zucchini jam... what does it taste like? We're about to have a huge in-flux of zucchini in the garden so I'm looking for unique ways to use it :) (something other than muffins and bread)

mmmm.... I can't wait for the blackberries to ripen this year

I'm in atlantic canada and I have cantaloupes growing in the garden... I imagine if they can grow in our zone 4 garden they can grow almost anywhere

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Yeah, she's a tease....:p

I have to get to Carrollton or Rogers and buy me one of those creations.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Yes, ma'am, I did! and I almost got LYNCHED on Monday because I only took Pumpkin pies this week! O M G WERE THERE EVER SOME TICKED OFF OLD MEN! :gig

I had run out of sugar, so no sugar for pie fillings...so I just took pumpkin. One person in particular made a point of telling me that Walmart is open 24 hours! :gig

This week I hope to take apple and blackberry pie (and maybe a blueberry or two!)

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hiker said:
Wifezilla said:
Glad you find this all so amusing. Bless your heart.
Are you using Bless your heart in the "funny Southern sayings" way?.... :lol:

'Cause we all know what that means, God Love you.

Now to return to our regularly scheduled topic.

My Kroger will put pasta on sale 2X a year for about $.48/pound usually in the fall. I really stock up then.
Well that depends or whether she was referring to "y'all" or "All Y'all" which is the plural of "y'all" where I came from. :lol:
//BT//
Trim sends :gig

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Rice is a staple in our house (hubby is a meat & potatoes type of guy, so I trick him sometimes with meat & rice :D ). The price of rice was through the roof for a while, but I've noticed that it's dropped dramatically in the last few weeks so I've been stocking up.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not really a local thing - kinda hard to grow rice in Wisconsin, but I just scored a 20# bag of rice for $4 at the local bent and dent store! WooHoo!

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been picking up rice too, but it seems the larger quantity I pick up the more uses we find for it. I'd like to have a decent stock pile of rice in the pantry so I've been watching the prices.