Stock up alert!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I do alot of couponing, and i give away more than i use because most times it's free or very close and i can't use it all. We have many many outlets...the homeless shelter, the halfway house, and the local nursing home program through our church, not to mention contless friends family and neighbors that we share our things with. I STILL have more than 3 bottles of shampoo around here :lol: I just wanted to say i DO know what you're saying though. If I have a years supply of whatever, and someone else needs some...I'm giving it and will catch another sale. What we do here at SS is stockpile, and I think most if not all of us ALSO help others in need any chance we get.

edjanuary39

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I can understand that, but for a person to spend $30 on $900+ on things they can't possibly use before it expires blows my mind! These people have basments -whole house basements- full of everything! And I think that if we weren't greedy, we would have less people hungry and struggling. I think your situation is a bit different and I would do the same. But they have 10 different brands of all sorts of things. I hope I didn't offend you. But I dont think they have any allergies, just overly obsessed.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
edjanuary39 said:
I can understand that, but for a person to spend $30 on $900+ on things they can't possibly use before it expires blows my mind! These people have basments -whole house basements- full of everything! And I think that if we weren't greedy, we would have less people hungry and struggling. I think your situation is a bit different and I would do the same. But they have 10 different brands of all sorts of things. I hope I didn't offend you. But I dont think they have any allergies, just overly obsessed.
I'm not easily offended ;) I know what you mean. THAT kind of hoarding irritates alot of folks.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I actually have to agree with Ed. I'm a "hoarder", however, I don't rip the guts out of a store just to stock my basement with six lifetimes worth of some product. Although I probably do have about that much soap, it's my own stuff, lol. But, nothing is more aggrivating than not being able to buy something because EVERY LAST STORE within a 54mile radius is out d/t some fiend couponer. Like, for real... Stocking up is one thing, but that's absurd and IMO is some goofy personality disorder issue.

edjanuary39

Power Conserver
Reaction score
agree with not destroying a stores stock, so that there is none left for people who need an item, I was talking to someone and there was an online coupon for some toy that was a $30ish item and locally some lady bought all they had for $5 each! And on the show I watched a lady buy 600-yes I said 600! Toothbrushes! The store was out after that- they had a stocker go in the back and bring out a pallet so she could load an entire cart with them! She did donate them all to a local shelter for pregnant girls, but think that shelter might have had a hard time storing them! They didn't need that many!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If it is a product I use and I can get it for free or darn near pennies, I wipe out a shelf. And if it isn't enough to handle my coupons I go back a few days later and get the rest of what I can use.

I don't do this on all coupons. Only my stock items I know I will use, know will last etc. And yea I do give alot away to family/friends.

And I only hit 2 stores. That is all the time I am willing to give to couponing. I thought about adding 2 more stores but then thought, heck no, I won't have any time for fun chasing coupon deals. I can't make it a hobby to that extent. To me it is super fun beating the prices!

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Kroger has a few goodies on sale this week!!

Sonya apples 10lbs for $10
Bragg Organic ACV 2 for $6

Since my ACV experiment didn't work out as expected I will be stocking up. I am planing a batch of Fire Cider Tonic and I have 15 hens to keep healthy this winter.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't always clean off the shelf,but I couldn't resist when I came across some organic fire roasted tomatoes. I can use those in many recipes,so I got about 30 cans over a few visits. I guess that is nothing compared to the amounts some buy,but I still feel funny when I get 5 or more of any one item. I still get it,but can't shake the feeling that I should not buy so much.No idea where that comes from!

TheMartianChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you don't buy it, then someone else will. (It will probably be one of us here at SS!) I don't feel at all sorry when I clear out a shelf if it is something that my family can use before it goes to waste. Other people will happen to be at the store when I'm not and will be able to catch bargains that I don't get. It all works out!

Everything is so expensive these days. I only limit myself when the store places a limit on me and in that case, hubby and I use separate checkout lanes.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Mattemma said:
I don't always clean off the shelf,but I couldn't resist when I came across some organic fire roasted tomatoes. I can use those in many recipes,so I got about 30 cans over a few visits. I guess that is nothing compared to the amounts some buy,but I still feel funny when I get 5 or more of any one item. I still get it,but can't shake the feeling that I should not buy so much.No idea where that comes from!
I can tell my eyes are bothering me. For some reason, I read that as organic fire toasted marshmallows!