Stock up alert!

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Mattemma said:
I don't always clean off the shelf,but I couldn't resist when I came across some organic fire roasted tomatoes. I can use those in many recipes,so I got about 30 cans over a few visits. I guess that is nothing compared to the amounts some buy,but I still feel funny when I get 5 or more of any one item. I still get it,but can't shake the feeling that I should not buy so much.No idea where that comes from!
I can tell my eyes are bothering me. For some reason, I read that as organic fire toasted marshmallows!
Pre-toasted marshmallows?? You might be on to something!!!

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I coupon........I will wipe out a shelf and have no regrets.......i have been couponing long before those stupid shows popped up. Rainchecks were created for empty shelves. Anyone who complains about an empty shelf will still have that same empty shelf after they have finished complaining so i dont understand the reason for complaining or what it gets accomplished. RAINCHECKS RAINCHECKS RAINCHECKS PEOPLE...... I find the ad online by tuesday and order coupons for what I AND MY FAMILY WILL USE. I will empty a shelf and then go get a raincheck for the same thing. I buy papers yes but i also buy coupons from ebay.When i am buying coupons from ebay you are darn right im using those coupons when i get them or get a raincheck and use the coupons at some point. i have the same store 10 min to the left and 10 min to the right and they get trucks mon wed and fri. Where i live and within 15 minutes of each other there are 3 bilos 2 publix 2 food lion and a piggly wiggly not even including the 2 super walmarts and the super target.. For example, I bought 10 coupons for texas pete hot sauce and someone gave me 10 more of the same coupons. I cleared the shelves twice by buying 20 at 2 different times. I kept 7 bottles i gave 3 to linda who works in the meat dept and gave the rest to the food pantry here in town. I know we werent going to eat that much but my store has a fuel perks program that the coupons do not interfere with. Those 20 bottles gave me almost a 1.00 less in gas because they were having double fuel perks for texas pete. 1.00 less in gas might not seem like alot but when i keep buying "FREE" items i fill my tank up for about 40 a week. and thats a 20 gallon tank on my truck. you do the math.

edjanuary39

Power Conserver
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong at all with stocking up, its the hoarding aspect of it I have an issue with. Preparedness is something completely different than those shows where they have 200 bottles of body wash. It does have shelf life, and so does everything else! Mascara for instance has a shelf life of 1 year I believe. So having 45, unless you give them away, they aren't good by the time you get to them! Even homemade canned for is supposed to be used in a year, we can all say we have used many products past their 'peak'. But not being able to honestly put a dent in a hoard before it is useless is selfish, so many people could use it! I plan on using my garden and canning this year as gifts for Christmas next year, but I also plan on stocking my shelves to capacity, but we will use all of it before I can get more the following year- my land is pretty wooded, and then there's the bedrock, so I will be lucky to get through next winter on my own food. I understand the guilty feeling, but I think if you really need it and will actually use it, get what you can. its watching it go bad everytime you open the cabinets that's wasteful and you should feel a bit bad about that. Even if my cabinets aren't full, if there is something that is in a 'use now' time frame that I won't use, it goes to the first person I see, or I have my son run it to the neighbors house.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't be too concerned on the shelf life of cosmetics or even over the counter meds. I worked for years in that industry. Generally the FDA insists on a use by date. usually half of what you have test data to support. Getting long term data is expensive so the mayor players got together and concluded Screw it, it helps our sales if customers toss it at the use by date and if they don't and there are proplems, well our rears are covered and the FDA will help us.

WHAT I CAME FOR THERE WAS A HARD FREEZE IN DIXIE LAST NIGHT [1/3-4/12 SO THERE WILL BE A SHORTAGE OF GOODIES FROM THE SOUTH! plan now.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
I coupon........I will wipe out a shelf and have no regrets.......i have been couponing long before those stupid shows popped up. Rainchecks were created for empty shelves. Anyone who complains about an empty shelf will still have that same empty shelf after they have finished complaining so i dont understand the reason for complaining or what it gets accomplished. RAINCHECKS RAINCHECKS RAINCHECKS PEOPLE...... I find the ad online by tuesday and order coupons for what I AND MY FAMILY WILL USE. I will empty a shelf and then go get a raincheck for the same thing. I buy papers yes but i also buy coupons from ebay.When i am buying coupons from ebay you are darn right im using those coupons when i get them or get a raincheck and use the coupons at some point. i have the same store 10 min to the left and 10 min to the right and they get trucks mon wed and fri. Where i live and within 15 minutes of each other there are 3 bilos 2 publix 2 food lion and a piggly wiggly not even including the 2 super walmarts and the super target.. For example, I bought 10 coupons for texas pete hot sauce and someone gave me 10 more of the same coupons. I cleared the shelves twice by buying 20 at 2 different times. I kept 7 bottles i gave 3 to linda who works in the meat dept and gave the rest to the food pantry here in town. I know we werent going to eat that much but my store has a fuel perks program that the coupons do not interfere with. Those 20 bottles gave me almost a 1.00 less in gas because they were having double fuel perks for texas pete. 1.00 less in gas might not seem like alot but when i keep buying "FREE" items i fill my tank up for about 40 a week. and thats a 20 gallon tank on my truck. you do the math.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
~gd said:
elijahboy said:
Yes But the stores are getting wise to your kind. Local Piggly-Wiggly[locally owned and operated] no longer gives Rainchecks period. Food Lion has copy in ads and in the store "we reserve the right to limit quanties" Legal and Enforceable the courts have ruled. When I see a cart driven by a hog I ask who they are buying for if no responce I harass them as much as I think I can get away with, Greed is Evil and frankly empty shelves are a P I T A even with Rainchecks. So if you run into a Nasty Old Man in a supermarket it might be ME ~gd
so you harass me right.........then i have the manager call the police right......when police get there i file a harassment complaint......my complaint: this "nasty old man" is harassing me.. well thought out on your part huh?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Around here, you're normally limited to the number of any one item you can buy on sale. This can be a PITB when you have a coupon that you can only use if you buy x number of items, and it's over what you can buy on sale! But, I have found that normally when they have an item on sale, if you buy the maximum that you can at the sale price, by the time you're out of it, it's for sale again, either in that store, or in another one.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to agree with GD. The shows on tv... those people are ridiculous. They're so proud of their stock, but for one, most of it is random garbage food, and for two, WHY?! The umpteen gazillion bottles of shampoo and crap? Now, I go through a LOT of shampoo and conditioner, but some of those stocks are just insane. Not to mention that I agree with how greedy it is to clean a shelf and keep it out of stock for however long because you take rain checks on the items as well. There will be another sale another time, why be so greedy to take from other people who might want to get enough for their family to use?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Guys, please just drop it. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to see more drama, posts disappearing, threads getting locked and people leaving.

Latest posts