Stock up alert!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I know this will depend on where you live and what stores are near you, but things seem to go on sale at certain times of the year. post your stock up alerts here and give everyone a heads up!

My latest... Pinto beans. Safeway had 4lb bags for $2.49. I bought 6 :D

Cantaloupe are in season now. Rocky Ford melons are cropping up everywhere. Prices are up from last year at both the stores and the farmers market. Between $2-$3 a melon is common. If you can find some at a good price, get a few extra and melon ball them. Then toss in the freezer. To make sure you have a good melon, sniff it where the stem was. If it smells strongly of melon, it's nice and ripe.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Our grocery store had a sale on pigeon peas....1 lb bags for $.37. I got about 8 or 10 of them. I have no clue what to put them in, so I googled and it looks like they're frequently cooked with rice. I think I'll can some to add in soup later on.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we "SS people" are supposed to eat local fresh in season

so again it comes to everyone wanting what they can't grow, and preserve, and then we wonder why we need a GLOBALl economy
;)

just saying that if you want to be SS, freezing what is not grown in your area is not a true SS trait? OR IS IT?

just thowing out food for thought :p

I am rambling and enjoying it LOL

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Rocky Ford cantaloupe are named after a region in Colorado called ROCKY FORD :gig Family owned farms, yada yada....So buying local isn't even an issue with the melons. As for the dried beans, no idea where they were grown, but dried beans are very stable and portable. Always have been. They are also "native" to my area. So it isn't like I am talking about stocking up on imported Mongolian yak cheese. Did someone run out of coffee this morning or something?

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
WZ: Great idea!

I got 3 melons at the farmer's market on Saturday for 50 cents each! They were closing down the stand and said half off everything. I plan to go back next Sat and the next and the next! Ate a whole one for breakfast this morning! YUM!

Got a WM trip planned for tomorrow. Might hit King Soopers (kroger) too. I don't usually care for safeway but might pop in there too.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Buying local and in season always has made sense, but really I will go for the sales and stock up whenever I possibly can. My sister has been doing some side-line couponing the past few months and I think she has a nack for it. Her outboard boat is completely filled with dog and catfood and you don't even wanna think about her cabinets in the kitchen. I do some of my shopping with her. All I need to do for inspiration is watch the news or overhear it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we all love a good global economy don't we? :)
gets us what we want and what we must stock up on before the SHTF! :lol: :lol:

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Glad you find this all so amusing. Bless your heart.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Back to the topic at hand...

Be sure to post when stuff is in season in your area so others know what to look for at farmer's markets, etc.

I friended one of my favorite farmers on facebook so I knew what he would be bringing to the market I visit every Saturday. A lot of their crops are behind because of our bad spring weather, but next week their chilis and watermelon should be in.

As for pigeon peas, I had to go look those up. It looks like you can use those in any recipe you use black eyed peas. I did find this recipe if you want to be adventurous.... http://www.congocookbook.com/vegetable_and_side_dish_recipes/mbaazi_wa_nazi.html

Latest posts