Stocking Up, Putting Back, Prepping = Paranoia?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Feral is the term I use to describe abi because she is very in tuned with nature. We use it as a term of endearment. So we need to pick another term to describe the entitled and obnoxious. :D

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Actually, I like the term feral, too; can't we come up with a different term for Abi?? :lol:

fer'al: 1. Existing in a wild or untamed state. 2. Of or suggestive of a wild animal; savage. (American Heritage Dictionary)

Sounds like some entitlement types to me. :hide

And welcome, tractor girl! :frow It's nice to hear from the voice of experience.

Tractor girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
JRmom, I know what you're talking about. I get that reaction at our local grocery store here, often enough. I make a point of saying "excuse me" in a nice tone of voice, not confrontational, but it's surprising how often people say nothing, glare, or push past. It is a subtle breakdown of society. If people can't behave kindly in such minimal, presumably unstressed situations, what will happen when big stress comes along? Ugly is just under the surface, and it does concern me.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have to say that feral isn't really a good term for entitlement people either. DW uses the term in an endearing way when refering to certain students of hers: the ones that do random, humorous things that indicate a pure and unpolluted state, not yet feeling a confining and negative influence of society.
Almost the polar opposite of what you all are describing.

I use the term "masses", as a broad encompassing term to describe not only the entitlement mentality but also the mindless pop-culture way of life.

As to rudeness in the grocery store or whatnot - I don't encounter it much locally. We are, after all, in the South. People of most any demographic I encounter locally tend to be polite and say "excuse me" or whatever, and move out of my way when they know I need them to do so.
There are occasional exceptions; but that is usually due to reasons other than deliberate rudeness. Being an inbred moron is the usual reason.

When I go into the big city, however, things are different. There are a lot of, let's say transplants from places of a higher latitude, that seem to think good manners are a sign of weakness.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Perhaps what Abi is, is better described as Rousseau's "noble savage"? To me, feral brings to mind the "wolf children"-- the ones that never learn to speak, and have no ability to interact socially at all. When I see things like flash mobs, feral is the only word for it.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Britesea said:
Perhaps what Abi is, is better described as Rousseau's "noble savage"? To me, feral brings to mind the "wolf children"-- the ones that never learn to speak, and have no ability to interact socially at all. When I see things like flash mobs, feral is the only word for it.
Oh that's pretty close. I didn't learn to speak til I was 9 and social interaction is still new and exciting.

:)

I am definitely feral girl.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Abi the Wood Nymph? :)

The "feral" people (rude, me-me-me types) are more like "the mob" as it was used in Roman times, IMHO.