Stocking Up, Putting Back, Prepping = Paranoia?

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have always associated the word feral with domestic animals that have reverted back to non-domestic wild beasts. Like in the case of a young and cute pink piggy. You can put them out into the woods and next year they will have grown tusk-like teeth and have become savage beasts. Similarly a house cat will quickly become a wildcat in no time at all if left in the woods.

So I really like the term "feral people". They have abandoned the society-imposed rules to be polite and considerate to others and have become more like savage beasts. Rural Indiana is typically a very nice and easy going area to live but the "ferals" are here. Almost every day we hear of another meth lab somewhere.

About once a month we go into a town where they have some big stores. Every month I see "ferals" acting like wild beasts. I just cannot imagine what it is like to live near a big city where inner city "feral" gangs rule.

I cannot picture abifae as a wild vicious beast (well, wild maybe but not vicious). Maybe somewhat independent and self-sufficient but not feral.

Chefmom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Heck, a very simple problem of theft could shut off your electricity for hours or even days. People are climbing live electric poles and cutting down the wires for copper scrap money plunging people in the dark and making electric companies scramble to repair them!

It doesn't have to be a massive problem, just a local one to knock you back and be thankful you can at least grab the hurricane lamp, a deck of cards and make dinner in the dark. It could be anything, a severe storm, a blizzard, a tractor-trailer knocks out a transformer.

Every single person, whether you consider yourself a prepper or not needs a short term (minimum) plan for the lights going out. My husband travels, gone on Monday, back usually on Friday. Guaranteed if it is going to break it will be first thing Monday morning!!!!! The kids are off to school and I don't have water (well and septic). My Mother's husband comes over and checks all the electrical connections, but it must be the pump. Okay, it's a week without running water. Something I dealt with as a kid (water always froze in the winter), but my kids got a crash course at carrying water, flushing the toilet themselves and conservation!! Carrying water sucks, but it's better than no water. I didn't make them "bathe" Bird-Bath style like my Grandmother taught me, we drove into my mothers house for that. But, hey, they learned and we survived just fine. You really think about how much water you use when you have to carry every drop into the house in a bucket!! And we now know exactly how deep our well is and have plans to put on a hand pump for emergencies.

Also, lesson learned. Note to self: When leaving Lowes with a "brand-new" water well pump open the box and make sure it's a brand new pump in the box. Hubbie was carrying it out the door (paid for) when he tilted it and water ran out of the box and down his leg. W*H*A*T????? We went back in, to the service desk and opened it up in front of the manager to find a very dead, rusted and full of rusty, nasty water pump. With all the wires cut off. Someone had pulled a fast one and it was placed back on the shelf like new. In a perfect looking box no less!! Fortunately we had just bought it minutes before so we didn't have to tell the tale of taking it home and coming back!! Not sure if they would have believed us on that one!!

Tami :)

.........wishing my pantry was as organized as the photos a few pages back.........

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Boogity said:
I have always associated the word feral with domestic animals that have reverted back to non-domestic wild beasts. Like in the case of a young and cute pink piggy. You can put them out into the woods and next year they will have grown tusk-like teeth and have become savage beasts. Similarly a house cat will quickly become a wildcat in no time at all if left in the woods.

So I really like the term "feral people". They have abandoned the society-imposed rules to be polite and considerate to others and have become more like savage beasts. Rural Indiana is typically a very nice and easy going area to live but the "ferals" are here. Almost every day we hear of another meth lab somewhere.

About once a month we go into a town where they have some big stores. Every month I see "ferals" acting like wild beasts. I just cannot imagine what it is like to live near a big city where inner city "feral" gangs rule.

I cannot picture abifae as a wild vicious beast (well, wild maybe but not vicious). Maybe somewhat independent and self-sufficient but not feral.
The meth.... out of control. We can smell it sometimes at our cabin. Not sure if someone is cooking it or just smoking. When we take our dogs out to the forest to run, we find empty boxes of Sudafed all the time. And in town, the neighbors behind us are meth users, with a young daughter no less. Meth is literally everywhere.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
JRmom said:
The meth.... out of control. We can smell it sometimes at our cabin. Not sure if someone is cooking it or just smoking. When we take our dogs out to the forest to run, we find empty boxes of Sudafed all the time. And in town, the neighbors behind us are meth users, with a young daughter no less. Meth is literally everywhere.
Sounds like around our house. :( Last year we had a rash of propane tanks stolen off of people's grills. (I grill with briquets and wood, so no foul here) The police were telling people that the meth heads use the propane tanks to cook their product.

We also recently had a scrap metal dealer get a HUGE fine that was in the news. Evidently he bought metal from an un-identified source from an undercover police team.

Nichole

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Boogity - I live in So. IN, and it's bad here too. The front page headlines always include at least one meth bust.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nichole said:
Boogity - I live in So. IN, and it's bad here too. The front page headlines always include at least one meth bust.
I was out in the garden this morning thinking about that same thing. I wonder why our local and state elected officials don't try harder to do something about the meth lab and usage problem. It seems that most of us read and hear about the problem and just shrug our shoulders and go on as though nothing happened. Maybe a big fat reward program would help motivate people to watch for unusual activities and to call the police. There has to be something that would work. There is one thing that I would LOVE to see and that is a drug test for every welfare type handout like food stamps, welfare checks, WIC, etc. I'm certain that it would catch many users and could possibly serve to break the chain of users, pushers, growers, and meth labs. A very strict get-tough attitude among the law makers and law enforcers would help, too.

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I call the entitlement group the "more for free bunch". BTW- I live in So. IN too. Meth is horrible. In my hometown, a man killed his wife and small child and stuffed them into a rubbermaid container. The smell was was bad that his neighbors complained, which is how the police found out.

My proposal for the "drug problem" is if you get caught the first time, you get education, a fine and community service. If you are caught dealing, making or using, it is a death sentence. I bet that would drop the drug use fast. ;)

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Boogity said:
Nichole said:
I was out in the garden this morning thinking about that same thing. I wonder why our local and state elected officials don't try harder to do something about the meth lab and usage problem. It seems that most of us read and hear about the problem and just shrug our shoulders and go on as though nothing happened. Maybe a big fat reward program would help motivate people to watch for unusual activities and to call the police. There has to be something that would work. There is one thing that I would LOVE to see and that is a drug test for every welfare type handout like food stamps, welfare checks, WIC, etc. I'm certain that it would catch many users and could possibly serve to break the chain of users, pushers, growers, and meth labs. A very strict get-tough attitude among the law makers and law enforcers would help, too.
I don't know if I posted this here before or not but I called the police one day as this was the second time I smelled what I thought might be Ether and it was so strong it was making me feel very ill. They came out and sure enuf they could smell it and started by back tracking where the smell was coming from..
Found out that my next door neighbor makes custom motorcycles and that smell was him making his new fiberglass molds for a fancy gas tank.. :sick What a stink! At least he wasn't mad at me even tho his snarky wife was(but she hasn't made any friends here in the 10 or so years that they have been here so no skin off my nose :lol: ) and said that he never even thought about how stinky it was and to warn the neighbors!

But my motto is,, I'd rather be embarrassed and have to say sorry than have to explain why I didn't do anything if someone died/got hurt/went missing.. etc.;)