Stocking Up, Putting Back, Prepping = Paranoia?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maschil said:
Hey guys.... I must admit, i just read all 31 pages... of this thread....Just joined as well. This is amazing i must say, im glad to see there are people who are trying to prepare for hard times.... like me.! Basically im a young fella.. in his 20's. Just finished school.

To tell you a little bit about myself, me and my mother inherited 2 acres in southern mississippi, from my grand parents (grandpa died in 2006 (was a heavy gardener for about 20 years on the land), and grandma is still live but lives in indiana due to having a stroke), we inherited fruit and nut trees, so i consider myself somewhat privileged in that respect... my goals are to have atleast 1 year of canned(literal cans/and/or glass ones) and dried foods) and learn how to garden year round(spring-summer-fall and winter). My mom doesnt see the need to garden YET. But i know soon she will (hopefully)...

Just encouraged with everyones attempts at this. im doing to post some picks of my pantry and try to get some further suggestions... Things i am looking to get into are...

Solar panels and water heat-for greenhouses
a dehydrator electrical first but eventually solar!
hand grain mill.

and other things....

but for now i wanted to introduce myself and say thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i now have a online community who has experience in this process! WOOH
Welcome to SS!! I live in southeast Texas and we share a lot of the same climate. Start planning your winter garden now. Prepare an area that gets full sun and get the soil ready. I live about 75 miles north of Houston and while we get winter temps down in the low 20's, they usually don't stay there very long. Winter veggies survive just fine all winter. On the menu: greens of all kinds, mustard, turnips, collard. Broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, green onion sets, kale are what graces my garden. I've had snow and ice capped on my broccoli and lettuce, but in true southeast Texas fashion, it melted and the veggies were fine. We have evolved into seasonal eaters and in your climate, you can have fresh veggies year round too. Glad to have you here! Keep us updated.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Sam's Club online has a whole section for "Emergency Food Storage" now. I guess there are enough preppers and the like that they are beginning to market to them.
I find it funny on several levels that "Preppers" have become so mainstream that even Walmart and Sam's Club is catering to them.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Wannabefree said:
Sam's Club online has a whole section for "Emergency Food Storage" now. I guess there are enough preppers and the like that they are beginning to market to them.
I find it funny on several levels that "Preppers" have become so mainstream that even Walmart and Sam's Club is catering to them.
I think it's great. I would never purchase the kit stuff they have available, but you know what? At least people are starting to realize that stocking up is important, even if they do it in a way we never would. And, the ones I've seen actually provide real food, not garbage. So, at least, if someone is buying those kits, if something happens, they'll have some decent food to give them energy until they can learn how to keep themselves going.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We must be paranoid, made an expensive trip to Sam's today... :hides

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
We must be paranoid, made an expensive trip to Sam's today... :hides
That's not paranoia, that's smart BB ;) Me and the other half make a trip to Sam's 3 X a year - so we buy enough to last the 4 months until we can go back. Get some pretty weird looks sometimes. I just smile and say "Yeah, I sure wish they had a Sam's closer to us. We have to travel over an hour to get to this one! Sure would be cheaper if we could stop in a bit more regularly, to spread things out a bit." Most just nod and drop the looks. :hu

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
That's what we do too.... :lol: Auntie, and Gran had a buggy full of things like PB, and other smaller packaged food. The trolley me and mom had: 100 lbs. of sugar, 50 lbs of rice, 50 lbs. of Popcorn, 100 lbs of assorted flour, and clorox. Plus dry beans, and a few packs of canned items. :cool:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Wannabefree said:
I'm going once a month :D
Lucky! :tongue
uh...necessity bro. We go through 100 pounds of flour a month, and with canning season...all the jam...sugar is about the same right now too. I can slack off this Fall and just go every other month :lol: