Stocking Up, Putting Back, Prepping = Paranoia?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What do you use the shake n bake for? I've never used it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
moolie said:
They use it for chicken and pork chops mostly. There are two elderly adults in the household, who can't have a lot of fried foods, so Shake and Bake is their little treat, because it tastes almost as good as fried ;) That junk is expensive in the stores! Now they're getting spoiled on it, and they like my version better anyway :)

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
moolie said:
They use it for chicken and pork chops mostly. There are two elderly adults in the household, who can't have a lot of fried foods, so Shake and Bake is their little treat, because it tastes almost as good as fried ;) That junk is expensive in the stores! Now they're getting spoiled on it, and they like my version better anyway :)
How do you make it?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
Wannabefree said:
moolie said:
How do you make it?
Rough estimates on these measurements, but here goes:

about a gallon of breadcrumbs
and then two tablespoons of each of these spices or to taste if you like some more than others :hu

garlic powder
onion flakes or powder
coarse ground black pepper
season salt
regular salt
chives
oregano
paprika
lemon pepper
thyme

Then you just shake it all up together to mix it well. It is a basic breading is all it is :hu You can put it on any meat really. They even use it on shrimp from time to time.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
terri9630 said:
Wannabefree said:
How do you make it?

and then two tablespoons of each of these spices or to taste if you like some more than others :hu

garlic powder
onion flakes or powder
season salt
regular salt
chives
oregano
paprika
lemon pepper
thyme

Then you just shake it all up together to mix it well. It is a basic breading is all it is :hu You can put it on any meat really. They even use it on shrimp from time to time.
Thanks. I'll have to give that a try if I can hide some bread long enough to make crumbs.:drool

BACOG

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:

garlic powder
onion flakes or powder
season salt
regular salt
chives
oregano
paprika
lemon pepper
thyme

Thank you for that. I printed out a copy for my recipes.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Speaking of paranoia... We were in the gun shop hanging out yesterday as the other half was picking up his handgun. In discussing how to carry concealed, and the trouble of carrying extra mags the shop owner says "When I'm feeling really paranoid I carry 7 or 8 extra mags with me..."
If he's ever that paranoid I want to be anywhere but here!! :gig

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maschil said:
baymule said:
Maschil said:
Hey guys.... I must admit, i just read all 31 pages... of this thread....Just joined as well. This is amazing i must say, im glad to see there are people who are trying to prepare for hard times.... like me.! Basically im a young fella.. in his 20's. Just finished school.

To tell you a little bit about myself, me and my mother inherited 2 acres in southern mississippi, from my grand parents (grandpa died in 2006 (was a heavy gardener for about 20 years on the land), and grandma is still live but lives in indiana due to having a stroke), we inherited fruit and nut trees, so i consider myself somewhat privileged in that respect... my goals are to have atleast 1 year of canned(literal cans/and/or glass ones) and dried foods) and learn how to garden year round(spring-summer-fall and winter). My mom doesnt see the need to garden YET. But i know soon she will (hopefully)...

Just encouraged with everyones attempts at this. im doing to post some picks of my pantry and try to get some further suggestions... Things i am looking to get into are...

Solar panels and water heat-for greenhouses
a dehydrator electrical first but eventually solar!
hand grain mill.

and other things....

but for now i wanted to introduce myself and say thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i now have a online community who has experience in this process! WOOH
Welcome to SS!! I live in southeast Texas and we share a lot of the same climate. Start planning your winter garden now. Prepare an area that gets full sun and get the soil ready. I live about 75 miles north of Houston and while we get winter temps down in the low 20's, they usually don't stay there very long. Winter veggies survive just fine all winter. On the menu: greens of all kinds, mustard, turnips, collard. Broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, green onion sets, kale are what graces my garden. I've had snow and ice capped on my broccoli and lettuce, but in true southeast Texas fashion, it melted and the veggies were fine. We have evolved into seasonal eaters and in your climate, you can have fresh veggies year round too. Glad to have you here! Keep us updated.
thanks so much. This is so encouraging.I am really happy that others are doing this. It's so encouraging. Thanks so much :))))))))))) big smiles. This year im going to try to have my first winter garden. Got my seeds ready!!!!!!!I Just went seed crazy again. Question my friend... do you garden year round? Spring/Summer/Fall-Early Winter. If so i desperately need your help... Thanks1
I basically plant twice a year. Fall and Spring. My garden is in our front yard between the driveway and sidewalk, so it is small. We do eat pretty good out of it though. :) If I had more room, I would have 3 garden spots. #1 Spring garden, #2 Fall garden, #3 Fallow ground. I hate having to yank something out of the ground to make ready for the next season's planting when it is still producing! I would rotate the garden spots so that I could plant the Spring garden as the fall garden was winding down. And then when the fall garden was totally done, I would turn the chickens out on it and make it their run. The chickens would eat everything that was left and scratch all the cutworm, june bug, grubs, assorted larve out of the ground. When it was time to plant for Fall again, I would have a fallow spot to plant. When the Spring garden was done, I would turn the chickens out it it to repeat the process. Chickens make good rototillers! Their droppings would enrich the soil and by rotating the gardens, the chicken yard would have time to lie fallow to let the manure decompose, before planting in it again.

I always have something growing in the garden. I planted new potatoes in March (late-shoulda been February) and had a good harvest out of my 2 little beds. Then I sprigged sweet potatoes in the same place and they are starting to vine like crazy!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, here's one for you guys... Are there any areas that you're WAY "over" stocked in, and others that you're way under? Right now, food is the hard part. The garden is limping along like a sick, deformed puppy. The birds are doing fairly well, but I'm not sure how far they will actually go, as it's only white meat foods, and I like my red meat. I have no "renewable" resource for red meats. I am HOPING for venison, but that is a shot in the dark because of finding a sitter for the kids. With my mother changing shifts to second again, maybe she'll watch them in the mornings while I hunt though, plus my brother has 14 acres of farmland that he's counted up to 26 deer at a time on, so hopefully this year I'll have better luck and be able to fill out both my buck and my doe tag (don't really care too much about "trophy" deer, I just want some meat and whatever antler I get I will use for crafting). We might also be able to get beef for a discount price from one place or another. The prison raises beef, and George has mentioned that we can purchase beef through them. I'd RATHER they sell me a steer though, as the place they take them for butcher (for obvious reasons, they cannot have their inmates set up for butchering) takes 50% of the meat for their payment. That DOUBLES the price of the meat, when I can do it for free. My brother also works at a butcher shop once in awhile... Just enough to keep his discount there. Fresh, local meat. Still, I'd rather get my red meat via hunting. It's approximately $40 (I could be way off, but I'm not looking it up right now) for doe tag, the general hunting license (one buck, one spring turkey, one fall turkey and small game) and an archery tag. That's way less than having to pay for the meat... IF I can get at least one deer.

I do think we have about a year's worth of poultry meat though. If the Cx grow out to 5lbs and have a meat content of 3.5lbs each, at 28 cornish x (keeping 10 for breeding), I'll have about 98lbs of meat from them (no bones). That's eating 1lb of chicken every 3-4 days. 1lb feeds our family of four for a meal, depending on how I make it. If I do breasts, chicken gravy or tenderloins in a pasta dish, that is more like 2-3 meals for the family of four. If it's quarters, we eat more, because it turns out, we each eat an entire leg quarter. Count in the turkeys, if we keep two toms and all of the hens (I'm estimating 5 hens from the 11 poults), we should get about 50lbs of straight meat from them. That's about 1lb per week of turkey meat. Ducks, I'm estimating 3 hens, then keeping one drake. The cripple I'm not counting. Should be about 12lbs of straight meat. That's only 1lb per month, but still, any little help and something to change up the meat a smidge will be nice. We also will have about six regular roosters that will make it to the stew pot or be chunked up for canned chicken. Then we've got the hens that should lay eggs, and I'm hoping to supplement their light over winter to keep them in production. I'll eat the first eggs because fertility might be low, but I'm hoping to have hatching birds fairly early in the spring and raise a bunch more birds. I want to really increase my duck production and probably my turkey production, and keep the chicken production about the same.

Soap, is obviously one of the strong points. Even laundry detergent and cleaning stuff (I like to use just soap/water) is well stocked up and would suffice for about seven years with the laundry detergent and 15 years for the soap (with more ingredients to make plenty more, and in a serious SHTF situation, I could use animal fats to make the soap and would have another 200 years worth of soap, lol. As for toothpaste, I have about three years worth of it right now, plus about six years worth of shampoo (only washing every 2-3 days as I do now)