Stocking Up, Putting Back, Prepping = Paranoia?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
R2D2,
Yeah, x2
I had a conversation not too long ago with someone questioning why I raise meaties and work so hard in the garden (although I admit many of you work even harder than me. :) ) when the grocery store is *full of food* . I asked what would happen if they didn't have money to go to the store. There response was the government wouldn't let them starve. :rolleyes:

Ironic that Mark mentioned the fable of the ant and the grasshopper. I had that discussion with the kids last weekend when they were balking at helping me can beets.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Icu4dzs, it is coming faster than we think. The following weeks and monthes ought to be interesting...........

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I had 37 meaty babies arrive the other day. It helped me be able to relax just a bit more about not being able to work. I figure even stone cold broke I can "harvest" enough trash can gleanings, vegetation and road kill if necessary to get these babies raised and into a jar or freezer. Never mind that they are only puff balls now.

Last winter I was with a like minded friend at TSC buying some grain to supplement my chickens with. I was busily looking for whole oats instead of the rolled ones, when he asked me, "What is the difference?". I thought he knew better. I only buy whole grains when I buy those 50 pound bags, because I can sprout or PLANT those grains if TSHTF. Rolled oats, cracked corn and ground wheat can't GROW. ;)

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't usually answer these kinds of threads because I'm not a prepper. (I am prepared for an earthquake other short-term disaster, but not beyond that.) But I have to admit these threads fascinate me. People talk on these threads like there's going to be a sudden famine tomorrow, that all crops are going to be destroyed and suddenly we're going to be starving like the Somalis or living like we're in The Road. I don't understand this. There are crop losses here and there, but the United States produces far more calories per person per day than needed, and we are the nation of the obese. Where is there an indication that our food supply will suddenly be cut off?

Some people say that prepping is necessary because food prices might go up. I don't understand this either. I can't believe that people living so close to the edge of financial stability that they can't bear fluctuations in food prices. That doesn't make sense -- especially since these same people clearly are paying for internet service, computer, etc., and they don't seem to be the type to be irresponsible enough to let the kids starve to ensure they have cable. And if that were the case anyway, why not just put some money away for a rainy day and raise food at home? Why stockpile store-bought food? (I'm not talking about simply buying things on sale.)

For those of you who say, "Don't you read the news?" Yes, I do, every day. For those of you who assume anyone who doesn't prep is just an oblivious idiot waiting for a government handout, you're wrong. DH and I are well-educated, have good jobs, and vote. We neither take from the government nor expect them to come to our aid. But I still don't see famine on the near horizon. I don't see anarchy waiting to pounce. I see typical news, the possibility of a deeper recession, and the usual political snarking. I see the possibility that there could be a terrorist attack, via bomb or computer systems, both of which would be temporary and possibly very isolated. I think the United States is on the decline and there may be some political changes in the coming century, but I don't see that as a an immediate personal threat requiring ready stockpiles of food.

What am I missing? Please tell me -- I really do want to know.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I don't usually answer these kinds of threads because I'm not a prepper. (I am prepared for an earthquake other short-term disaster, but not beyond that.) But I have to admit these threads fascinate me. People talk on these threads like there's going to be a sudden famine tomorrow, that all crops are going to be destroyed and suddenly we're going to be starving like the Somalis or living like we're in The Road. I don't understand this. There are crop losses here and there, but the United States produces far more calories per person per day than needed, and we are the nation of the obese. Where is there an indication that our food supply will suddenly be cut off?
Its coming. It is bound to happen sooner or later. Crops are failing worse than ever this year (they admitted it on NBC), feed is going up, and food is going up while packaging is getting smaller. Maybe not suddenly cut but gradually cut. Our economy is severely unstable and government isnt that much better

Some people say that prepping is necessary because food prices might go up. I don't understand this either. I can't believe that people living so close to the edge of financial stability that they can't bear fluctuations in food prices. That doesn't make sense -- especially since these same people clearly are paying for internet service, computer, etc., and they don't seem to be the type to be irresponsible enough to let the kids starve to ensure they have cable. And if that were the case anyway, why not just put some money away for a rainy day and raise food at home? Why stockpile store-bought food? (I'm not talking about simply buying things on sale.)
We may be able to bear the fluctuations, but why should we have too? We stockpile some storebought food that we dont can or grow ourselves. Like tomato paste and tomato sauce, we dont make them so we buy them for a year supply in our pantry. And if its on sale and we use and it keeps a while then it comes home.

For those of you who say, "Don't you read the news?" Yes, I do, every day. For those of you who assume anyone who doesn't prep is just an oblivious idiot waiting for a government handout, you're wrong. DH and I are well-educated, have good jobs, and vote. We neither take from the government nor expect them to come to our aid. But I still don't see famine on the near horizon. I don't see anarchy waiting to pounce. I see typical news, the possibility of a deeper recession, and the usual political snarking. I see the possibility that there could be a terrorist attack, via bomb or computer systems, both of which would be temporary and possibly very isolated. I think the United States is on the decline and there may be some political changes in the coming century, but I don't see that as a an immediate personal threat requiring ready stockpiles of food.
Buy it now and you have it If you wait and its not available then your out of luck.
This is part of the stability with self sufficiency. Knowing that no matter what tommorow brings you'll be okay.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I can only answer for myself. I am not a prepper per say, not the type that feels that the entire system will suddenly collapse and there will be no power, gas, services, etc for months or years. I do come from a farming family and have inherited the mentality to put food away for the winter, that income is seasonal....and being self-employed, I've seen fluctuations in my income that are beyond my control. Stocking up eases the pain of these fluctuations. I also enjoy it.

My other big motivating force is that GOOD, nutrient-dense food is just not readily available, and when I can find it, it is outrageously priced. I rarely, if ever, find items that meet my standards.....pasture-raised meat, eggs, and dairy, and chemical-free foods that are non-GMO and not irradiated, etc. I am also finding it harder and harder to find raw materials for my own from-scratch cooking......I am growing corn this year because I cannot find....at a reasonable price......corn to grind for meal and flour. Try to find organic, non-GMO tortilla chips cooked in grass-fed tallow or lard and not in veg oils or shortening! Impossible.

I am puzzled at stocking up on the foods that cause lifestyle disease....if TSHTF like some are prepping for, there will be no medical care or dentistry or c-sections.....so eating the foods that cause serious health concerns that require these interventions really makes me scratch my head.

If I'm wrong and TSHTF in a bigger way than I am prepared for.....well, I'm pretty prepared because I really love exploring the old ways of doing things and in the process have developed many skills. However, I will not be guarding my place with guns. I also feel that it is unwise to be "an island" and that we will fare better if we have a community of people that we can trade things with, especially skills. I have neighbors on either side of me with skills that I do not have....building and mechanical skills, hunting skills. I can certainly bake lots of bread for them and repair their clothing!

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In regards to Lady Heneveres question "what am I missing" here's my take on that--our govt. is not stable, so what if something does happen to it and the dollar continues to fall,saving for that rainy day isn't a bad idea,(we do save money for that also) but the value of the ol mighty dollar may at sometime be zippo,and durable goods and the barter system could be the difference between making it though comfy or having to struggle to feed our families.

So for us, we invest some of our cash into food products, weather it be meat on the hoove and wing or seeds for veggies.this way if need be our cash and trade goods can be use for other items and we will have full bellies at all times.

The other side is we enjoy a simple life style of country life,being outside with our animals and working the soil together.

Several months ago I had unexpected surgery and was off work for 7 wks let me tell you that panty and stock pile came in very handy,our cash flow continued to flow pretty easily and the money I had went farther, since I didn't have to spend so much at the store.

So here at our lil farm we contiue to raise, grow and stock-up.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Where is there an indication that our food supply will suddenly be cut off?
Food supply disruptions can easily happen. I gave 2 real examples. Flood and blizzard. Like earthquakes, those are short term. How many people can even handle a short term disruption?

The biggest threat for America is political interference causing sudden price spikes. This article from a couple of years ago gave a good example of how politics effected world food supplies and prices.

"The growth of the global food market has meant more food for billions of people, yet it has also led to a greater concentration of supply. In 2006, the top five oil producers supplied 43 percent of the worlds oil. By comparison, the top five corn producers grew 77 percent of the worlds supply; rice producers, 73 percent; beef and wheat producers, 66 percent each. Because of this concentration, a supply disruption in even one place can ripple through the food market worldwide.

Some disruptions are unavoidable. Last year, for instance, drought in Australia, a major wheat exporter, helped drive up wheat prices by nearly 100 percent. But some disruptions are the result of political decisions. For example, in response to the high wheat prices, India, then the worlds second-largest rice exporter, decided to rely on rice, not wheat, for its public food programand instituted a ban on most rice exports. Vietnam and Egypt, fearing local rice shortages, quickly followed suit. The result was a seize-up in the global market for rice: prices rose from $333 a ton in 2006 to $963 a ton in May of 2008. "
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/09/the-great-disruption/6930/

the United States produces far more calories per person per day than needed, and we are the nation of the obese.
This is also a result of government interference. They subsidize processed grains that may fill a belly, but provide very little real nutrients. At the same time, actual nourishing nutrient dense foods are demonized. More and more cases of swat teams raiding food coops and raw dairies are popping up all the time. The government is actively blocking people's access to the healthy food of their choice.

Some people say that prepping is necessary because food prices might go up. I don't understand this either. I can't believe that people living so close to the edge of financial stability that they can't bear fluctuations in food prices.
As food prices go up, other things must be cut. Sometimes it is a question of food quality. I can't afford grass fed beef anymore, so now I am stuck with grocery store ground turkey and OPPPS!!! Guess what? It's just been recalled for bacterial contamination. The comment about starving the kids so you can have cable is just hyperbole. Many people have already cut their land line phones, cut cable but kept internet. Access from the library because they can't afford internet at home. Gone to free dial-up, etc... I have internet for work. Without internet, I have no job. Same for abi.

why not just put some money away for a rainy day
Our rainy day fund got eaten up already. Half our customers went out of business when the real estate market collapsed. It's been "raining" for too long. At least for some of us. Despite this I do put away cash when I can, but that brings us to the next issue...the value of a dollar. Since you stated you watch the news I am sure you are a aware that a dollar buys less and less everyday. Saving dollars actually loses value for you. Saving non-persihable food still gives you the same "value" down the road despite what the idiots in Washington do from day to day.

and raise food at home?
Not everyone has gardening space, gardening skills, or the climate to grow a descent amount of food.

Why stockpile store-bought food? (I'm not talking about simply buying things on sale.)
I don't have the space to grow enough pinto beans to feed the family for a year. My climate doesn't allow good crops of peas. I don't have room for a pig or a cow. Do you assume everyone does? I guess it is my turn to not understand.

I am honestly glad there are people out there that are doing so well they are insulated from economic hardship. Not everyone is. I had a friend who used to have a great job who said all the things that you just did plus he thought I was crazy for raising ducks, turning the yard in to a garden, shopping at thrift stores, cooking all food from scratch, not taking vacations, etc... For years he poo-poo'd my choices and lived the high life. But stuff happens. Things change. In his case, he was injured. He has been fighting with social security about disability for years. His supplemental insurance stopped paying because of his social security denial. So now he just lost his house and had to move in to his sister's basement. Had he done even a small measure of prepping, he would have been able to ride out the difficulties, made adjustments and then moved on. Instead, he is in a depression and having a hard time doing the things he needs to to get back on his feet.

One more quick observation. Some of us have actually been in times of EXTREME poverty at points in our life. Like not knowing if you will eat on any given day, no heat in the house, holes in your shoes POOR. Once you have experienced that, you tend to make sure you are not that vulnerable EVER AGAIN. Part of that mind set means making sure that you are not entirely dependent on someone else who may or may not have your best interests at heart. The more self sufficient you are, the less vulnerable you become. If you have never been in that situation, congratulations.

Why do I get the feeling this is another "they have no bread? well let them eat cake." moment? Maybe the biggest shortage right now is in compassion and empathy.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Lady Henevere said:
DH and I are well-educated, have good jobs, and vote.
My father had several sayings. One of my favorites was: "There is one heck of a difference between education and common sense." :lol:

Lady Henevere said:
I reckon you'll find out exactly what you have been missing, WTSHTF for real............ ;)

On a brighter note, I hoarded a little bit more ammo today. I readily admit I am stockpiling it. A gun is basically a large hammer without ammunition, and I already have enough hammers.
:D:D

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think what your missng Lady H,is the fact tha we are on a unsustainable course.We can not pay our national debt, did you not see the debt ceiling parade in Wash DC..? You may not be, but millions of Amercians are hurting. Money and education will be of little use, when the store selves are empty and the dollar has no value.Cleary, our nation is in big trouble, if you don't see that, i fear you are in denial , like many others.It's hard to believe, yes...that things have gotten so bad in America, but its real, the wake up call is ringing loud and clear.I hope you come to see the serious nature of our situation.IMO, your wrong...God Bless....