Stocking Up, Putting Back, Prepping = Paranoia?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome

I answered more specifically about the soups in your other thread, but when it comes to pre-prepping for meals I do it both ways: I can ingredients like plain tomato sauce and plain ground beef or chicken/pork/beef chunks as well as soups, chilis stews etc. That way I have lots of variety and can make those "chili or meat sauce for pasta?" type decisions just before serving a hot meal to my family :)

I don't can huge amounts of prepared meals ahead of time, just a canner load at a time. This allows for variety on the shelf, and for me to can whenever I get deals on various ingredients. I do can larger amounts of meats and simple things like tomato sauce at a time because the prep is fairly simple and I can be prepping the next batch while the first is processing.

I also have to watch my storage space, because I only have two places that don't get much light: two metal canning shelves in my basement family room store my fruits, veggies, jams, pickles etc.--mostly water bath canning, and my kitchen cupboard is where I store my meats, beans, tomatoes, and prepared foods--so that my kids can see them when they are looking for something for lunches or ingredients to help make dinner (with teens it is "out of sight, it doesn't exist").

Candy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
DeniseCharleson said:
[
I've not noticed many of those characteristics in members of this board, but am a member of <another board> where such characteristics are pervasive. To many there, everything the government does is hostile, individual absolute freedom (to the point of anarchy) is paramount, and 3/4 of the activity on the board seems to be in support of exposing government conspiracies.

All all preppers paranoid? No.
Are some preppers paranoid? Yeah, some are.
I think some are paranoid for pretty good reasons. Guess that makes me a paranoid enabler.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Candy said:
DeniseCharleson said:
[
I've not noticed many of those characteristics in members of this board, but am a member of <another board> where such characteristics are pervasive. To many there, everything the government does is hostile, individual absolute freedom (to the point of anarchy) is paramount, and 3/4 of the activity on the board seems to be in support of exposing government conspiracies.

All all preppers paranoid? No.
Are some preppers paranoid? Yeah, some are.
I think some are paranoid for pretty good reasons. Guess that makes me a paranoid enabler.
In the wise words of Sigmund Freud, "sometimes even paranoid people have real enemies!"
YMMV

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I'm having some paranoid activities right now. Put several LBs of cucs to brine for 24 hours and then dealt with that stock pile of ripe tomatoes and bells on my cabinet. Only canned 5 quarts today, but better than rotting on my cabinet and at least I have food. Yeehaa. And I now have some counter space!!! Face it guys....we are different, but while we the odd balls now.....well, lets just hope we don't prove them wrong, cuz a lotta people will suffer.

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hey guys.... I must admit, i just read all 31 pages... of this thread....Just joined as well. This is amazing i must say, im glad to see there are people who are trying to prepare for hard times.... like me.! Basically im a young fella.. in his 20's. Just finished school.

To tell you a little bit about myself, me and my mother inherited 2 acres in southern mississippi, from my grand parents (grandpa died in 2006 (was a heavy gardener for about 20 years on the land), and grandma is still live but lives in indiana due to having a stroke), we inherited fruit and nut trees, so i consider myself somewhat privileged in that respect... my goals are to have atleast 1 year of canned(literal cans/and/or glass ones) and dried foods) and learn how to garden year round(spring-summer-fall and winter). My mom doesnt see the need to garden YET. But i know soon she will (hopefully)...

Just encouraged with everyones attempts at this. im doing to post some picks of my pantry and try to get some further suggestions... Things i am looking to get into are...

Solar panels and water heat-for greenhouses
a dehydrator electrical first but eventually solar!
hand grain mill.

and other things....

but for now i wanted to introduce myself and say thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i now have a online community who has experience in this process! WOOH

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello Maschil,
once your mom gets to try some vegetables from your garden I think she will come around... Home grown ones from garden taste sooooo much better than the store bought.. Plus you know how fresh they are and what was used to help grow them..

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was in Wal-Mart today and saw something interesting that was funny and sad at the same time. They are now selling an emergency food kit!:rolleyes: About $64 for a kit that is suppose to feed 4 people for 72 hours. The sad thing was there didn't seem to be much "real food" in it. It wasn't junk food, but not what I would consider good choices. I guess it would be better than nothing, but for $64 I think we could do allot better for longer! I guess (from what I read on other sites) that some Wal-Marts are selling dehydrated foods of all kinds. :idunno

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Sam's Club online has a whole section for "Emergency Food Storage" now. I guess there are enough preppers and the like that they are beginning to market to them.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They have some MRE type foods back in the camping area of our wal mart.