Storing Canned Goods in a Root Cellar

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Just the usual, from what I can see. My sister is currently doing straw bale construction.

The cob mix has been used for centuries in one of the most moist environments I can imagine...most were lime washed afterwards, I'm sure. Whitewashing was done to soddies back in the day, on tree trunks, etc.

Here's an excellent link to a site with good info on cob and great pics:

http://www.cobprojects.info/
My impression is that cob is mainly used in drier climates.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
The humidity and temperature of a root cellar is important. The humidity is generally too high for metal cans and jar lids.
We have very, very few metal cans. Black olives. Tuna, salmon, and a few sardines- and if we move to the place in question, we'll try our hands at farming some fish, so hopefully we won't even have those anymore. Anyway, we have few enough metal cans that I could find a different place for them. But as all the other gardeners/canners here understand, we have 500 quarts of glass jar/Tattler lid canned foods by August, and it needs to go somewhere. Which is why if we build this, we'll have at least three rooms- one for dry and canned goods, one for roots and apples, and one for wine and cheese. I know the humidity needed for roots and wine and cheese, but I'm not sure how much humidity the canned goods will tolerate.

HeronsNestFarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Sounds good but I wouldnt put root crops in gamma buckets because they need air. Without air I think they can rot. I dont know about cheese or meat thought..... :hu
I concur. Dry goods will always keep in buckets. We store much of our produce in totes successfully.

Latest posts