Sttttttrrrreeettcch IT...

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never bought dryer sheets; after hanging everything on the line during the summer, just having them go through the dryer makes them soft enough for luxury :lol:. But I do have a box of them, and use them, when I remember, in with socks and undies to reduce the static. When my friend from the east coast brought her 2 young children out west for an extended visit she supplied her own laundry stuff, as she was using cloth diapers and using her friends' washing machines. When the visit was over (last port of call at our house) she left detergent, bleach, and dryer sheets with me. I found that half a sheet was quite sufficient for my needs, and could be used several times. And then I tried a quarter sheet; that worked too. And then I ripped the quarters in half, and they also work. So, if you use the things, you can really stretch the box by using partial sheets, and re-using them for several loads.
Oh, I might also mention that the toddler who was wearing the cloth diapers on that visit is now a junior in college - by not using the dryer sheets very often, and by cutting them up first into smaller pieces, I have stretched that box over almost 20 years - and it wasn't new when I got it, and it isn't empty yet :lol: (Disclaimer - I did also take over an almost empty box from my mother's laundry room after she died - so the box I have used for 20 years had a small addition made to 12 years ago ;)) When (if! ;)) this box is empty I won't be spending money on another; as mentioned, I only use them for static control, and because I have them. They are essentially a useless thing foisted on us by advertising, IMO.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

I have alot of dryer sheets. I have one of those scratch and dent stores in town. I bought like 20 boxes MANY MOONS ago. They were SO CHEAP I had to buy them. I have like 12 left. I split sheets. 3 pieces I rip. So I should have enough til, uh, the grave :plbb

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Marianne said:
And I save the wax paper liners that purchased cereal comes in. Cut it down the side and you have a sheet of heavy wax paper, too.
It never occurred to me before...but would those liners work in the loaf soap molds?...instead of freezer paper? I am currenly studying on how o make soap.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not being a soaper here, so just guessing.

The one time I made soap, it was pretty warm going into the mold. I have noticed that some of the wax paper liners are thicker than the others and they would probably hold up just fine. I don't think you'd get any 'wax' transfer to the soap.

You might try some in a small mold to see if you get the end results that you want.

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
wow...great ideas...Great re use of the bags...I use my ice cube trays as a freeze for sauces...but I love the blob idea...I think I have also read that the cereal package bags have been treated with something special...that makes contants last longer...
or chick you definately deserve a stretch it reward...that is something....I heard somewhere..that you can dip sheets in fabric softener dry and use that way...after reading that...I haven't actually done it...however I do notice that...clothes from the fabric softened wash never stick together..
Was very excited to come across the fabric softener recipie on here...with vinager shampoo and water...

Britesea that is such a good evaporated milk tip....will have to splurge on powdered milk sometime...

Marianne thank you 4 your tips very much appreciated will try yogurt sometime...

moxies_chickennuggets I saw a clip on this on u tube when my chickens start overlaying am eager to try it ...apparently you scramble fry the eggs...(do not add any oil or butter) then dehydrate and grind ...whalla...powdered eggs...

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Speaking of the wax paper from cereal boxes - I save the paper wrapped around butter; just fold it up and pop it in a plastic bag in the freezer. I use it for greasing baking pans, and also lay several pieces across the top of rising bread (and then cover the loaf with a tea towel as well.) I haven't done it yet, but I will also use them, someday, in the bottom of a loaf or cake pan when the recipe suggests lining with buttered parchment.

Edited because I can't type this morning

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
myzanya said:
moxies_chickennuggets I saw a clip on this on u tube when my chickens start overlaying am eager to try it ...apparently you scramble fry the eggs...(do not add any oil or butter) then dehydrate and grind ...whalla...powdered eggs...
Except that my chickens aren't laying yet. They are still too young.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I read an article where somebody tried two different ways of drying eggs; the cook-it-then-dry-it method you described, or beating the eggs and then pouring them onto a fruit leather drying sheet to dry- it takes 16 hours at 145degrees, but they said it provides a vastly superior product- indistinguishable from fresh eggs, whereas the cooked/dried eggs turn out grainy and kind of stale tasting. The risk of salmonella growing in the eggs while they are drying is mitigated by the fact that you will be cooking the product at the other end (plus, I suspect the lack of water in the dried product would probably take care of any salmonella bacteria). I think this would be a great method to even out your egg supply through the year- drying them in the spring when you have way more than you can handle and saving those for the winter when you might be getting only 1 egg a day from a flock of 10.

eta: oil the fruit leather sheets so the dried eggs won't stick!

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Britesea oohh that sounds absolutely great... will for sure try it that way one day...
moxies_chickennuggets..i completely understand...you will get there......