Suburban Off-grid living

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hope you aren't too far gone. That's one thing that I fear for my hubby, but he won't listen when I try to talk to him about it.

S

sunsaver

Thanks, DD. I realized just how much i really want to live. It's easy to quit drinking when a doctor tells you that you are about to die any day now. Hopefully i won't need a liver transplant. The organic berries and greens seem to be helping. Today the swelling was down even more, and i was able to go pull up a few flower bulbs that i want to save from the front flower bed. I plan to convert it to food production and edible ornamentals. Anybody want a forsythia bush? If i can't eat it, it's gotta go! My entire property will eventually be an edible forest garden, even the wooded area will be nut trees, cherries, persimmons, almonds, peaches and such. That's if i live long enough.
I'm off to a good start, thanks to mother nature. The lot already had plenty of mature and productive mulberry trees and black cherries. I'm adding all types of berries known to mankind, and propagating them myself to save money. My pear trees and plum trees are just now starting to produce, and i hope to be doing a lot of canning in the coming years. I have more solar projects planned, terraces, a more efficient irrigation system to replace the pop-up system, a root cellar/storm shelter to finish, more stone walls to build. These are the dreams that are keeping me alive right now. :)

Denim Deb

Reaction score
If you were so far away, I'd take you up on that. I've wanted a forsythia bush for years. And, since you can make cuttings from one, one would be all I'd need.

I honestly don't know that everyone can quit just because they've been told they're about to die. My one grandfather was an alcohol and a chain smoker. And, that's what killed him. He had cirrhosis of the liver as well as emphysema. And, I've heard of people on oxygen that have been told they can't smoke and they STILL want that cigarette.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
If you were so far away, I'd take you up on that. I've wanted a forsythia bush for years. And, since you can make cuttings from one, one would be all I'd need.

I honestly don't know that everyone can quit just because they've been told they're about to die. My one grandfather was an alcohol and a chain smoker. And, that's what killed him. He had cirrhosis of the liver as well as emphysema. And, I've heard of people on oxygen that have been told they can't smoke and they STILL want that cigarette.
I can attest to that! I was in the hospital with lymphoma, hooked up to an IV getting chemo, and I would drag that pole with me out to the back of the hospital to have a cigarette!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
And this is one reason that I won't touch either alcohol or cigarettes. I hated my grandfather for years. He died when I was a baby, so I never had the chance to know him. It wasn't until I was older that I was able to transfer that hatred instead to what killed him. My husband drank when we met, but was trying to stop. And he did-for several years. Then he developed IBS. His sister suggested he drink a small glass of red wine whenever he had an attack. I was against it, but he thought he could handle it. The rest, as they say, is history.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Holy sh*t, Sunsaver. :hugs

Keep up the good attitude, the dreams and laugh often, k?

Ya, if I was closer I'd take you up on that bush. Do you have sunchokes? Jerusalem artichokes?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
" Thanks, DD. I realized just how much i really want to live. It's easy to quit drinking when a doctor tells you that you are about to die any day now. Hopefully i won't need a liver transplant. The organic berries and greens seem to be helping. Today the swelling was down even more, and i was able to go pull up a few flower bulbs that i want to save from the front flower bed. I plan to convert it to food production and edible ornamentals. Anybody want a forsythia bush? If i can't eat it, it's gotta go! My entire property will eventually be an edible forest garden, even the wooded area will be nut trees, cherries, persimmons, almonds, peaches and such. That's if i live long enough.
I'm off to a good start, thanks to mother nature. The lot already had plenty of mature and productive mulberry trees and black cherries. I'm adding all types of berries known to mankind, and propagating them myself to save money. My pear trees and plum trees are just now starting to produce, and i hope to be doing a lot of canning in the coming years. I have more solar projects planned, terraces, a more efficient irrigation system to replace the pop-up system, a root cellar/storm shelter to finish, more stone walls to build. These are the dreams that are keeping me alive right now. smile "

I just saw this, and I hope you have a great recovery. You definitely have the right idea about pouring your energy into something that will help you in the long run.