Such a shame or is that sham?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My Son and I fixed the veggie hauler yesterday. Check engine light code pointed to a bad knock sensor. Well Chevy in their infinite wisdom put the knock sensors under the intake manifold :( which means... Not only do you have to buy the knock sensors, wiring harness, but also an intake manifold gaskets set. And to top it off Chevy had a recall on their intake manifold (plastic) so there is a recall gasket that you are supposed to get from the dealership also. Any time I hear get the part from the dealership, i already know it's big bucks. :(

Here are the prices from the auto parts store.
After market recall gasket set.
Screenshot_2018-12-29-00-32-54.png

Knock sensor, my truck has two of them so multiply the price by two
Screenshot_2018-12-29-00-35-26.png

Then there is the knock sensor wiring harness.
Screenshot_2018-12-29-00-38-40.png

Add it all up and you have a grand total of $276.83 if I would have purchased all parts from the local auto parts store.

So off to fleabay I went and found the parts for way cheaper!

I found a new old stock intake manifold gasket set (this is the orginal steel Chevy recall gasket set).
Screenshot_2018-12-29-00-43-58.png

And I also found both knock sensors plus the wiring harness in one kit.
Screenshot_2018-12-29-00-45-55.png

So ordering all the parts I needed from fleabay for $53.46, I saved $223.37. Doing the work with my son and I, I also saved a big pile of money on a mechanic.

All I can say is the auto parts store better start looking close at their prices. When I can go on-line and purchase parts for such a huge discount and have them sent directly to my house free in a few days and I don't have to pay taxes, use my gas and my time either. There is simply no reason to buy from local auto parts stores any more. This is what I call a sham!

Last edited: