Sufficient Self Forum - Let's have a heart-to-heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

elevan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I think mods need to be more approachable sometimes, and members need to remember mods are human too.
I realize that many of you are not members on BYH, so I apologize if I refer to it too much. But I say constantly over there that members should never be afraid send me a PM to ask a question or address a concern. The same applies here on SS. The only thing that I will never address with a member is moderation of another member as that is between that member and staff only and also private information of other members. We take privacy very seriously and that includes warnings and moderation.

So if you (being any member) have a question, concern or comment about the board or me - send me a PM.

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You just hit the edge of another subject. That is why the new system was put in place. In that way we could track those who chose to continually cause issue and know what action a mod has taken. In that way it is an open system ALL mods can see and have input on as a team. In that way there is now a check and double check on us, which under the old system was missing to some degree.

elevan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
but what about when things are reported and nothing is ever done?

this 'hikerchic', 'organickale', (and several other name. I can get you a list if you'd like) has repeatedly stirred the pot, caused trouble, got banned then came back as another name. It has been brought more times than I can count, reported and yet nothing is done.
Reports are always looked at. When a rule is violated then we have a system to deal with it. Are you using the Report link on the posts? Because if you're sending a mod a PM, then I can't speak for that mod. But when you (members) use the Report link then the report is accessible to all moderators. We also have a staff section where everything gets discussed. Sometimes it can take a while for staff to decide what to do about something and so it may seem that nothing is being done, but it is.

As to banned members coming back under another name, I know that someone brought it up very recently but I've never seen anything before that...so again how are you addressing it? If staff can prove that it's a banned member coming back then it's dealt with, but things aren't always so black and white.

elevan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kstaven said:
You just hit the edge of another subject. That is why the new system was put in place. In that way we could track those who chose to continually cause issue and know what action a mod has taken. In that way it is an open system ALL mods can see and have input on as a team. In that way there is now a check and double check on us, which under the old system was missing to some degree.
Absolutely. There are 2 things that mods need to keep things straight and to keep us all on the same page.

1. We need members to use the Report button so that all mods can see the complaint. If it's general then report a post of your own...don't worry you won't get into trouble for doing that. When I said feel free to PM me, I genuinely meant that. But if it's a post complaint or concern then you should use the Report button.

2. We need to use the infraction system so that we can keep track of what is going on. Imagine going to the Everything Else Self Sufficient forum and trying to find someone that ends up being on page 587. If we don't use the infraction system then that is what a mod faces. And it's not always easy to find things that way is it? As Nifty stated an infraction is a reminder and not a punishment.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
elevan said:
okiegirl1 said:

this 'hikerchic', 'organickale', (and several other name. I can get you a list if you'd like) has repeatedly stirred the pot, caused trouble, got banned then came back as another name. It has been brought more times than I can count, reported and yet nothing is done.
Reports are always looked at. When a rule is violated then we have a system to deal with it. Are you using the Report link on the posts? Because if you're sending a mod a PM, then I can't speak for that mod. But when you (members) use the Report link then the report is accessible to all moderators. We also have a staff section where everything gets discussed. Sometimes it can take a while for staff to decide what to do about something and so it may seem that nothing is being done, but it is.

As to banned members coming back under another name, I know that someone brought it up very recently but I've never seen anything before that...so again how are you addressing it? If staff can prove that it's a banned member coming back then it's dealt with, but things aren't always so black and white.
Yep, I personally have notified the mods twice regarding this coming back under a different name. and I know for a fact I'm not the only one. I send PM's to mods and I hit the report button.
how it was dealt with was I was told they will keep an eye on it and hopefully she'll behave this time. So obviously, it was known. What kind of answer is that?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
For the record, Elevan NEVER sent me an inappropriate pm. Yes, I was annoyed by newbie stuff, but I am not that easily offended, really. Everyone says things in the heat of the moment, myself included, and I try to give myself a few days to settle down if my feathers get ruffled. I will, however, stand up for those that I feel were wronged.

hikerchick aka organic kale aka bailey's mom aka redux aka (whatever else) was pretty darn obvious. People with some technical ability can figure it out fairly easily, my geek friend tells me, something about isp (?) espn? gnc? kfc? or some way to identify the computer being used, maybe?

Elevan, be careful about painting "everyone" with the same brush.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
For the record, Elevan NEVER sent me an inappropriate pm. Yes, I was annoyed by newbie stuff, but I am not that easily offended, really. Everyone says things in the heat of the moment, myself included, and I try to give myself a few days to settle down if my feathers get ruffled. I will, however, stand up for those that I feel were wronged.

hikerchick aka organic kale aka bailey's mom aka redux aka (whatever else) was pretty darn obvious. People with some technical ability can figure it out fairly easily, my geek friend tells me, something about isp (?) espn? gnc? kfc? or some way to identify the computer being used, maybe?

thanks free :hugs

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:

Its IP tracking you search for. :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Also for the record.....kstaven has been very helpful to me on byh and has given me a lot of good advice on dealing with things pertaining to milking and caring for my lactating does in an organic way. Stuff that gets slammed on the forum so we took the conversation into pm. I like him a lot and I hope the respect is mutual. I want to state that clearly. I can't publicly name those who were super inappropriate in pm's to me so I do want everyone to know that kstaven is, in my experience, one of the good ones.

elevan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
elevan said:
okiegirl1 said:

Yep, I personally have notified the mods twice regarding this coming back under a different name. and I know for a fact I'm not the only one. I send PM's to mods and I hit the report button.
how it was dealt with was I was told they will keep an eye on it and hopefully she'll behave this time. So obviously, it was known. What kind of answer is that?
That sounds like an answer where the mod wasn't able to 100% identify that it was a banned member coming back in. I'm guessing here because I don't know who the member was or who the mod was. And please don't post it here. If it's still a problem then please just hit the report button on one of that members posts and address the concern there. You can always follow up your report by PM'ing a mod.

Let's start fresh. If something has been a problem in the past then just wipe the slate clean. It's Thanksgiving. Let's be thankful for this wonderful resource that we call the Sufficient Self forum and to Nifty for starting it. If from here on out we see a problem on the board, then let's use the report button. If from here on out we feel our report wasn't taken care of then follow up with a PM to a staff member. I can promise you that I want to see this board grow and be an enjoyable place for people to come and learn how to be SS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts