Sufficient Self members with Poultry!

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Day 12 under broody-all 6 eggs show development and have movement! Hatch day should start next Sunday into Monday. Should be mid 50s by then so better than the 30s we had today.
That is so scary! Not in winter, I could not let my girls do that. Not that they get broody lol I think Lil'Mama will not go broody again. Those 4 peeps sucked the life out of her. Poor thing!

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is so scary! Not in winter, I could not let my girls do that. Not that they get broody lol I think Lil'Mama will not go broody again. Those 4 peeps sucked the life out of her. Poor thing!
I think they will be ok. She is a big mama. Worse case I add a heating plate for a bit

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've always cherished my broodies! First 2 weeks will be a watch time for late chicks but, my hens have always known what to do. I've had some early spring sets that had same weather concerns. All ended well.
Yep I plan on checking frequently the first couple weeks

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So one of the black chicks I thought was a girl is a boy. 13-14 weeks old before I could tell.

20221014_155546.jpg

This is a few week older girl.
20221015_115010.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With traditional birds the feathers or combs or crow tells the tale -- beyond the vent lookie -- what's the key for a silkie. All I see is fluff🥰😁. Maybe the ear on the side?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Silkies are notoriously hard to sex. I was even asked how I could tell over on the silkie thread on BYC.

Comb is starting to get bigger. My adult silkie hens usually have pretty much no comb or just a bit of a bump. Pullets get rounder, bigger crests. Cockerels get streamers coming off back of crest. This boys are just starting to show.

He's just starting to get some leaky hackles in as he's from a black father over a partridge mother. Yes the girl also has leakage around the neck but it's different looks close up.

His stance was my first clue. It caught my attention so I caught him for a closer look.