Sufficient Self members with Poultry!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You'd think fairy egg, but it's just a first egg from a project silkie pullet. They don't always lay this small at first but it happens fairly often to mine. It had yolk and all.
20230118_123413.jpg

And my really old lady gave me an egg today. She'll be 12 in a few weeks. Only one who gives the speckled eggs left so easy to tell when I get a rare one.
20230118_123429.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You'd think fairy egg, but it's just a first egg from a project silkie pullet. They don't always lay this small at first but it happens fairly often to mine. It had yolk and all.
View attachment 22276

:)

And my really old lady gave me an egg today. She'll be 12 in a few weeks. Only one who gives the speckled eggs left so easy to tell when I get a rare one.
View attachment 22277

wow so is there something like a dog-years equivalence for chickens like maybe 9 to 1? i really don't know... :)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:)

wow so is there something like a dog-years equivalence for chickens like maybe 9 to 1? i really don't know... :)

No idea. Most of mine average around 6-7. This hen is one of the first chicks I got. Raised inside and handled a lot so she's very friendly. Outside the pecking order. Everyone let's her do what she wants. She was the crony to the head hen who ruled with an iron beak for 10 years until she passed in her sleep.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
3 silkie cockerels down about 12 boys to go. All of todays were around 6-7 months old. Dressed out around 1.5 pounds.

I removed two from a pen that didn't have enough hens to roosters so the girls were hiding in the coop. By the time I was done, the girls were out celebrating.

Have to check for leg bands and re-evaluate each one before butchering. One has already managed to put himself into "save for later" because he's not bad looking and is fairly friendly. I can walk up to him and pick him up, a trait I have been selecting for years.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I keep a bottle on the shelf,
well I just came in and got the dishes dont and got the pot of turkey stew out and is heating up.

I got ever side wall wiped down and then sprayed with the Clorox cleaner and wiped again.
(an older pic)
View attachment 22325

I think you are right, I think , even though it wasn't much it was mold. I did bring a warm wash cloth out and wiped her wattle off and rubbed it a bit, then I put bag balm on it. I scrubbed the water jug and refilled it. I added Rooster Booster electrolytes and probiotics to the water.

OH!! and its SNOWING, started about 10:30/11

We had mixed precipitation.

Try using some vinegar on the mold. Bleach doesn't kill most of them.

Latest posts