Sufficient Self members with Poultry!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Hinotori
So checked on the hen, its not draining just very swollen, what do you think if I put arnica cream on it?

It really cant hurt. I always felt arnica was more of a skin herb. Lot's of fluids and usually I quarantine them. Hospital cage in the house so I can monitor food intake

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The picture doesn't show the swelling in the wattle. The swelling is in the vicinity of the ear, below it in the ear lobe area, as was stated above by @Hinotori . I would be more inclined to think it is an abcess of some sort and that rubbing arnica on it will have little effect. It will either come to a head and burst open, or the infection will go internal into the blood stream. More like likely to come to a head and burst. It could also burst to the inside all according to where it actually started from. If it is not causing her to stop eating or drinking, the most you could do is wait for it to open up and clean it real good... I would be afraid to try to lance it.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd get some antibiotic for her since it's injury. Chickens are amazing at recovery from injuries, though.

I also keep Vetericyn to clean out wounds. Some in a syring to clean out punctures. Use it on birds, dogs, and myself if I really need it. It's an antimicrobial wound wash.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, when I got back from getting the mail I went out and got the hen,, the wattles were very hot, the ear lobe was still big, the discoloration / pale/bruised/ look in the wattles tells me she has a fever , an infection, I cant risk the rest of the flock, sweet hen is no more,

:oops:😔🥺
I’m so sorry. I don’t know anything different you could have done. I’ve been gone on vacation and just getting caught up on posts. I have No idea what the cause was for the infected ear lobe on your hen. You did all you could, sometimes that just isn’t enough. I’m really sorry about your hen. :(

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It’s so hard to not only move, but move and start over for animals with nothing there to start over with. I think you are doing super fantastic. Come spring, you will be off and running again!

Latest posts