Sufficient-Self Preparedness Library

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I went back and began to read the string by a young man with a wife and special needs son today. He opened his string by asking for guidance in beginning his journey toward preparation for his family in the event of disaster/social disruption. He did this in the face of sincere skepticism by his wife, for whom he obviously is very devoted.

While we all have been working on these issues for years and have come to this BB to share those ideas with each other and in particular those like this young man, it appears to me that it might be a good idea to start a book title library (with links if possible.)

I say this because of the advice of a number of folks that was given to this young man. Books such as edible plant identification, survival skills, (and the list goes on).

My guess is that often, many of us have books we have either collected or read or borrowed (and hopefully returned to the owner) on the very subjects that folks new to this endeavor would benefit from having/seeing.

To that end I would like to ask the collective body of SSF to begin submitting their suggestions as to books that particularly pertain to this art and to which a person new to our way of thinking would MOST BENEFIT in your opinion.

Books that come to the top of my head are such as:
Storey's Country Wisdom and Knowledge
Back to Basics
The SAS handbook
The US Army Survival Handbook
Food Plants of the World
American Farming Techniques
Where there is no Doctor
Where there is no Dentist
Edible Plants of North America (Sorry Neko-Chan I don't know much about Tasmania)
The Barefoot Doctors Handbook (Chinese medicine)

My list can go on and on. The point is that many of you have knowledge gained from a variety of book sources that if shared will benefit the entire group.

A list of useful periodicals would also be good here... Backwoods Home Journal, The Mother Earth News, Countryside and Small Stock Journal, etc.

This list is or will be by no means all inclusive or exhaustive but if everyone mentions just a few titles, imagine how big a library we can assemble for the betterment of all?

Hopefully, by assembling this library, and possibly uploading/downloading as many of the books as are possible, the library will become a resource for not only the new among us but those who want a new skill or idea to help their efforts.

We all want to be ready. Now is the time. Here is one of my most favorite philosophical statements:
"Remember. It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark"

All the best
Trim sends

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
There are so many, but of those not yet listed, these rank high in my library.

1. KJV Version Reference Bible with Apocrypha

2. First Aid -- (American Red Cross Handbook) Responding To Emergencies

3. Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times by Steve Solomon

4. Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners by Suzanne Ashworth

5. Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival by Jack A. Spigarelli

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
"Medicinal Plants of the ..." by Michael Moore - In my case "... of the Pacific West", but he has done others pertaining to other regions

"Complete Medicinal Herbal" by Penelope Ody

Any good, basic cookbook - " Joy of Cooking" or "Good Housekeeping" or the like

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
The Backyard Homestead, Storey Publishing
Produce all the food you need on just a quarter acre!

Has lots of detailed info.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
I went back and began to read the string by a young man with a wife and special needs son today. He opened his string by asking for guidance in beginning his journey toward preparation for his family in the event of disaster/social disruption. He did this in the face of sincere skepticism by his wife, for whom he obviously is very devoted.

While we all have been working on these issues for years and have come to this BB to share those ideas with each other and in particular those like this young man, it appears to me that it might be a good idea to start a book title library (with links if possible.)

I say this because of the advice of a number of folks that was given to this young man. Books such as edible plant identification, survival skills, (and the list goes on).

My guess is that often, many of us have books we have either collected or read or borrowed (and hopefully returned to the owner) on the very subjects that folks new to this endeavor would benefit from having/seeing.

To that end I would like to ask the collective body of SSF to begin submitting their suggestions as to books that particularly pertain to this art and to which a person new to our way of thinking would MOST BENEFIT in your opinion.

Books that come to the top of my head are such as:
Storey's Country Wisdom and Knowledge
Back to Basics
The SAS handbook
The US Army Survival Handbook
Food Plants of the World
American Farming Techniques
Where there is no Doctor
Where there is no Dentist
Edible Plants of North America (Sorry Neko-Chan I don't know much about Tasmania)
The Barefoot Doctors Handbook (Chinese medicine)

My list can go on and on. The point is that many of you have knowledge gained from a variety of book sources that if shared will benefit the entire group.

A list of useful periodicals would also be good here... Backwoods Home Journal, The Mother Earth News, Countryside and Small Stock Journal, etc.

This list is or will be by no means all inclusive or exhaustive but if everyone mentions just a few titles, imagine how big a library we can assemble for the betterment of all?

Hopefully, by assembling this library, and possibly uploading/downloading as many of the books as are possible, the library will become a resource for not only the new among us but those who want a new skill or idea to help their efforts.

We all want to be ready. Now is the time. Here is one of my most favorite philosophical statements:
"Remember. It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark"

All the best
Trim sends
That's a good idea.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Grow It
By Richard Langer

Its a older book. But it tells you how many seeds you will need to make certain size rows. And tells you how many bushels that amount will get you.. Havent read the whole book. But it appears to be a good one to have. It also has a section on livestock and chickens. But disapointed that it doesnt have a section about rabbits. Oh well have other books for that one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stillroom Cookery
By. Grace Firth

Appears to be a good book. But havent been able to get my hands on a copy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will probably think of more later..
Some that I was going to mention have already been said.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Icu4dzs, do you plan to compile these suggested books into a concise catalog? It would be nice if we could have a PDF file ready for folks to download from the boards here. A categorized list would be a great tool.

Here's a short list.

Putting Food By
ISBN-10: 0452296226
By Ruth Hertzberg, Janet Greene, Beatrice Vaughan

Stocking Up
ISBN-10: 0671693956
By Carol Hupping

Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
ISBN-10: 9781882424580
By Suzanne Ashworth

Basic Butchering of Livestock & Game
ISBN-10: 9780882663913
John J. Mettler

The Trapper's Bible: Traps, Snares & Pathguards
ISBN-10: 0873644069
Dale Martin

Primitive Wilderness Living & Survival Skills: Naked into the Wilderness
ISBN-10: 0967877776
John McPherson

The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
ISBN-10: 0976626608
Samuel Thayer

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dare to Prepare!
Written by Holly Drennan Deyo
A very comprehensive publication with information on everything from how to get started, basic food storage tecniques and shelf life to surviving floods, hurricanes, nuclear disasters, tornadoes, extreme heat-extreme cold. There is even a chapter on Bio-warfare decontamination.