Sufficient-Self Preparedness Library

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Boogity said:
Icu4dzs, do you plan to compile these suggested books into a concise catalog? It would be nice if we could have a PDF file ready for folks to download from the boards here. A categorized list would be a great tool.
Boogity et. al.
Great List, thanks, shipmate!
To be succinct, I am probably NOT the most talented at that but if we can get a good enough list and hopefully enough links to the sources, it would be "do-able". Unfortunately, I don't know how to generate a .PDF file so I'll defer to folks with superior knowledge and experience on something of that nature.

Anybody else out there want to help with something like that?
Just holler!
Best
Trim sends

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I can write pdf files. It's an older version of Adobe Acrobat, but the files are readable by the current version of the reader (9.x).

Icu4dzs, If you would like to compile the list and then e-mail it to me as a Word or Text file, I'll be happy to create the pdf and share it with the group.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
I can write pdf files. It's an older version of Adobe Acrobat, but the files are readable by the current version of the reader (9.x).

Icu4dzs, If you would like to compile the list and then e-mail it to me as a Word or Text file, I'll be happy to create the pdf and share it with the group.
Let's see what books we get on this string. Maybe we can do it from right here. Everyone has different ideas as to which books would be best; some are new, some are old. Perhaps we could get a short report from the individuals who recommend them as to why they recommend it. Everyone has different perspectives.

The ones I like are ones that have lots of "HOW TO DO...." in them. I don't know how to do a lot of things and that is why I want books so I can learn if I need to do something that I don't know how to do. The other point is that as I continue to get older those "HOW TO..."skills may deteriorate (no doubt) in my head but they remain stable in a good book.
Some skills just don't change. Some improve with newer technological perspectives but the basic skill has to be learned first.

Currently, I have become VERY interested in a guy named Joel Salatin who discusses "sustainable farming" by managing the land in a very intelligent way, despite the argument he gets from 'experts' on his techniques.
I'm just keeping a list based on what books folks mention here. Then we have to find where to get these books on line if possible...or in hard copy.

To me, hard copy is really hard to beat. Takes up space and all but really doesn't require any energy to use...other than the old fashioned "elbow grease"! Maybe we could assemble the books on a CD or DVD and distribute them to everyone who wants them. That technology is easy to use and as long as we don't "sell" them, there should be no issue with private profit motive...I hope.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a few more good ones in my Girl Guides stash but I'm too lazy to go down to the basement to look up the exact titles:

Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
Mike Bubel, Nancy Bubel

The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It
John Seymour

Organic Kitchen Garden
Juliet Roberts

Homegrown Vegetables, Fruits & Herbs: A Bountiful, Healthful Garden for Lean Times
Jim W. Wilson, Walter Chandoha

Back to Basics
(Readers Digest Book)

Preserving food without freezing or canning : traditional techniques using salt, oil, sugar, alcohol, vinegar, drying, cold storage, and lactic fermentation

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Those ISBN numbers that boogity is posting are very useful for online
buying and selling. They are in the first few pages of the book if anyone else wants to post them.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
These are not really SS. But can still come in handy. Because every one loves an easy way to cook. But instead of box mixes from the store. You can make your own, and know what is in the ingredients.

*Make a Mix
*More make a mix
Both by. Karine Eliason, Nevada Harward, and Madeline
Westover

*Gifts in a Bag
*Dips
*Rubs & Seasonings
*Hot Drinks

*Gifts in a Jar
*Bars & Brownies
*For Kids
*Holiday Fun
*Cocoas, Cappuccinos, Coffees & Tea
*Cookies
*Muffins & Bread
*Soups
*One Dish Meals
*Slow Cooker
*Cakes & Cobblers

*Mug'ems
*Meals & More
*Sweet Things
*Soups & Bread
*Holiday

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Some of my "GO TO" books:

Better Basics For the Home 0-609-80325-5
Lots of recipes and formulas for household products, hair and body products, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/Better-Basics...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301522842&sr=1-1

The Doctors Book of Home Remedies 0-553-58555-X
A great reference for common health problems.
http://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Book-...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301522808&sr=1-1

Preserving Summers Bounty 0-87596-979-8
Tons of ideas for freezing, canning, preserving, pickling, drying, juicing & root cellaring, and some great recipes.
http://www.amazon.com/Preserving-Su...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1301522771&sr=1-1

And, of course: Nourishing Traditions 0-9670897-3-5
http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Tr...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301522726&sr=1-1

Latest posts