Sufficient-Self Preparedness Library

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Build It Better Yourself, Rodale Press, Inc. My edition is from 1977. Hundreds of projects and ideas for all skill levels. Includes the basics for every kind of project--gardening, food storage, sheds, fences, furniture, greenhouses, buildings for livestock and people. Well illustrated. Despite being almost 35 years old, the projects are still pertinent to homesteaders today.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The Barefoot Doctor's Handbook is an English translation of a Chinese book for neighborhood "barefoot doctors" in that country. It is quite long and very thorough. The herbal references are Chinese but they do have some English translation. Sorry about the Country Wisdom and Know-how. My bust
As for the others they are all good. Traditional American Farming Techniques is quite good since it was written before electricity was ubiquitous. Very handy if the power gets shut off.
SAS handbook by Lofty___. Can't remember his name but Lofty is his first name. It is rather new and very good in every respect.
Trim sends
//BT//

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Theo said:
Build It Better Yourself, Rodale Press, Inc. My edition is from 1977. Hundreds of projects and ideas for all skill levels. Includes the basics for every kind of project--gardening, food storage, sheds, fences, furniture, greenhouses, buildings for livestock and people. Well illustrated. Despite being almost 35 years old, the projects are still pertinent to homesteaders today.
I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! I stole...er...borrowed it from my dad. :lol: It literally has almost everything in it you would need to for a homestead. And like you said it is very well written.

farmhouserock5

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Homemade, Best Made By Readers Digest

This book isn't very self sufficient (a lot of store bought ingredients) But it has chapters on canning, baking,
decorating, homemade beauty products (lotions, perfumes, bubblebath, hair care,etc.) home remedies, and all kinds of handicrafts.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Carla Emery's book is awesome! A great go-to book for almost anything!

Now here's one NOT to waste your money on... Urban Homesteading, by Rachel Kaplan and Ruby Blume. I bought it thinking it would really help me with our small lot at the cabin. Although it covers a range of topics, it's really just a starter book for someone thinking about being more self sufficient. It also has a huge political tone. I just want good solid info without being preached at.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
I found this link, which has an amazing variety of books to choose from:

http://www.transitiontowns.org.nz/node/1514
Now thats a list.

I have a few on it.

Im going to have to wait till later tonight and take a closer look at all the books listed. Im already making my christmas wish list. I may want to ad some of those books on that list to it..