SufficientSelf's Chicken Thread!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The link can be found at the bottom of each page you are on here....also worth checking out the other sites as they are all handy, though not quite as big as BYC.

smackiesmommy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I can't wait to get my chickens...any suggestions on the breed i should get? I live in georgia and my 3 year old will be helping me a good bit so i want to find one that is pretty laid back

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
smackiesmommy said:
ok I am sorry if this sounds stupid but i am new to chickens (plan on getting them when i get my new place) but what are you guys talking about when you talk about layers....again total newbe here.....sorry
Laying hens. Aged between 8 months to 2 years usually. No dumb question besides the one unasked you still don't know the answer to ;)

westtxamber

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What do you guys think of easter eggers? I just love the idea of the pretty colored eggs.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
EE's take a long time to mature and aren't the best layers. It depends on your egg demand I suppose. They do, like all chickens, make good for pest control, so eggs might not be so important to you. They are gentle birds IME, and I'd recommend them so long as you aren't trying to make money selling eating eggs or have them pay for themselves in eggs.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
A beginner? Get adult....6 mo. old hens, called pullets or point of lay hens. All the hard work is done and you have birds that will be laying or will start any day.