Sunsaver, Livining Off-Grid In Suburbia- Happy Taconight America!

S

sunsaver

Sunsaver here. So, this is my journal. I hear booing. What? Already! Come on people, i used to famous! Well, briefly, and that's a whole other story that i don't want to get into. Lets just say that i was an inventor, but i prefer to be anonymous these days. I also have enemies in the oil and gas industry because of my big mouth. They are and have been actively suppressing battery technologies that would let start up companies make electric cars that are practical, and allow solar power to dominate electricity production. I also am an active pusher of solar power, and i find every opportunity that i can to promote it's use. I do not sell anything.

Unless im in the middle of an alternative energy project, my life is pretty boring. I garden all day, drink vodka, cook a gourmet meal, then go to bed, in that order. I don't eat cookies, chips, candy, cakes, or anything from a box or a bag, or fast food. I sometimes do handyman jobs, but i used to own a successful construction company until the housing market crashed. I live alone, quite happily. I never remarried because im willing to try anything once. I have two cats that are good companions. Monkeygirl is my feline girlfriend. She follows me around the garden all day. We communicate very well. I think she understands about 100 words. Monkeygirl is more like a small dog than a cat. She smiles, frowns, and she's very expressive. She sleeps with me, and on cold mornings we "spoon".

Like the title say's, i live off-grid in suburbia. My little town is just like any other small city in America. I don't try to push people off-grid, but if i can do it on my $5,000 per year income, anybody can do it. I just buy a panel or battery whenever i can, and add them onto my system. I use solid state, encapsulated charge controllers that are stackable, and only cost about $50. The brand is called "Sunsaver", hence my username.

I also have a forest garden surrounding my home. If i a cut a tree i plant a tree. I have several permaculture beds, berry bushes, fruit and nut trees. Ive been working on this private garden of eden for 10 years. I have my own well, rainwater collection coming soon, solar power shed that feeds 120VAC to my 100 year old farm house, which i moved into a subdivision. I own the lot behind me all the way to the next street, so its almost an acre, mostly woods. There are alot of wild edibles in the woods, and sometimes some good mushrooms (don't eat mushrooms unless you are knowledgeable about them)

I use an icebox that i built and i love it. I also built a solar water heater that works great. I'm working on some ideas for geothermal and solar/absorption cooling, but no active projects at the moment. I wish i had documented my transition to off-grid. It wasn't always easy, but i'm glad i did it. My home is all paid off, and i have no bills except for some staple commodities like vodka! If i get drunk and want to rant, i'll come here to do it. If you are deep in love with the oil and gas industry, i will probably offend you frequently and deeply, so let me apologize now, while i'm sober.

That's all i got for now. Got alot of journels to read! See ya'll round!:D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Sunsaver, I for one am interested in how you manage on $5000 per year! I'll be following your journal w/interest.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey rant all you want. It's an interesting read. Did you say you moved your farm house to your lot or was is there?

I would so love a well and solar. I could do without electric if I had to but the well is almost impossible.

Hey I have cell site batteries. :D Several. I should try to get some kind of panels to charge them. Maybe even if it's just one at a time. How long would they hold their charge?? I guess it depends on the size of the battery huh. Just rambling, sorry. :hide

I look forward to hearing more.

g

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well that wasn't boring at all....I hear cheers, not boos.

I've seen houses being moved before, that must have been an interesting process. I'd like to hear more about how you decided to move the house, etc. Also, that sounds like a NICE city if you have two lots and have an acre of forest and all that in the city. Where I am, when you are in the city (even in the middle of a rural county) you could practically shake hands with your neighbors sticking your arm out the bedroom windows, the houses are so close together. When we lived in a subdivision we had a big lot, but it took a lot of searching to find one like that.

As far as I'm concerned you can "dis" the "powers" that be in the power industry all you want and I think yer gonna hear more cheering round these parts. The power company here in MY county has been hassling a bunch of us regarding putting in more power lines across the top of our houses so their name is more than officially MUD to savingdogs.

S

sunsaver

Well, let me tell ya'll about my drafty old house. (Ya'll is officially a contraction these days, although my spell checker doesn't recognize this fact) This old house is probably as old as the one in "It's a Wonderful Life" When i took the wallpaper down i could see sunlight through the cracks, and when the wind blows outside it blows the candles out inside. Everybody's screaming, "cellulose insulation!" Okay. If you pay for it, i'll install it. Not a big problem so far, but ill get to that later.

So in 1998, i bought this vacant lot in the middle of a subdivision, that was built back in the 80's on what used to be a pig farm about 5 files out of town. I got it as an investment, because a friend wanted to buy it from me later, just didn't want anyone else to get it. So a couple of graduations and hospital emergencies later, i'm stuck with the lot while living in an apartment in town. Well i decided to pay a visit to my property, which i had never even seen. I fell in love instantly! Largest pine tree i've ever seen. A small creek running beside it, a little patch of mowed lawn (that the next door neighbor was treating as his own) and a little white easter bunny that had escaped from the dinner table, was happily munching on some dandelions.

"I'm going to build my house here!" i thought. And started drawing up plans for a super-efficient, small shot-gun shack.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
But I thought you said you moved a house there?

Most of the solar homes I've seen are sleek, modern things with odd roof angles and non-traditional looks. While I like that style, an old farm house has its appeal.....but the insulation?

Are you one of these people who doesn't feel the cold? My hubby goes out in winter in his shorts and sandals.....whereas I have to have my snow boots, snow pants, snow jacket, hat and gloves for the same temperatures.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:frow Welcome, Sunsaver.

I'm curious what part of the country (I'm assuming U.S.?) you live in and if you feel solar power is a worthwhile investment in all areas . . . I live in the greater Seattle area and when I looked into it years ago, it didn't really seem like solar was a worthwhile investment for our area. Just curious what you might have to say.

"If i cut a tree i plant a tree." I was just thinking this the other day. . . . that it is a good philosophy to have. Although in my case, I'm mostly planting and only removing already dead and broken (can't be left as a snag for wildlife) trees.

S

sunsaver

Monkeygirl was crying, so i had to take her out to the garden. I ate a handful of mulberries, and my first handful of blackberries for the season. It's been spring for three months here. Might as well be in southern California. I also picked a mess of rattlesnake brand pole beans to go with tonight's supper, which i'm hoping will be fish, but my fishing trip might get tornadoed out. Back to the house story.

One day in 2000, i'm on my way to visit my land and do a little bit of clearing, not much, just a trailhead; and on my way i see a vacant lot along the highway with an old house up on a giant trailer. A big sign reads: "House for sale, will move to your ready site," and a phone number. I thought,"gee Wally, i could just fix up this wreck (it was in bad, bad shape), and save a ton of money and labor vs building a new house. Plus i'd be recycling, which is a good thing, so yeah!" I jotted down the number and raced home to call it. Nothing but "Beep! Please leave your message at the tone" This was back when people still had answering "machines" instead of voicemail. "Yeah, uh, i'm really interested in the house for sale that's parked on hwy xx, i have a vacant lot just 3 miles down the road, so i'm really interested in buying it. So please call me back. Thanks!" Nothing. The next day i try it again: "Yeah, uh, this is the guy that called yesterday, i'm still really interested in the house for sale, i have a vacant lot, ready and waiting! Please call me back!" Not a thing. This goes on for 2 weeks. Then a day after i give up, i get a call:
"Uh, is the guy that called about the house for sale on hwy xx?"
"Yes, i'm very interested. How much is it?"
"It's twelve thousand."
"That's great! I'll take it!"
"Duh, uh, well i already sold it."
"What! Then why did you even bother to call me!
And why did that stupid old fart wait so long to return my call? Some people have no clue or consideration of other peoples emotions.

Later on in 2000, i'm still hoping to find another similar house for sale, checking the classifieds, etc. Fall was approaching, and it was a perfect day. Sunny and 75F. I was making a delivery to a hardware store in a small, but very old country town about 30 miles from the city. Right before i get there i see this old farmhouse along the highway with a sign out front, handmade and crudely written, that reads: "House for Sale. To be Moved." I pulled over immediately. I started to get excited, but then checked my emotions. I've had the rug snatched out from under me before. "Can't ...get...too...happy. Must...be...like...Spock! This house is perfect! The old wood siding is original and completely intact!" I started crawling all over it, inspecting for termite damage. It had two rotten sills and that was it. I crossed my fingers that this would be the one.