Sunsaver, Livining Off-Grid In Suburbia- Happy Taconight America!

S

sunsaver

Going to bed now, heavydrunk. This is my REAL journal. I might edit @ night, but i try not to embellish. These are my real memories, as i experienced them, to the best of my knowledge, so help me God. I could never have been creative enough to write the story of my life, especially the past decade, even at the heights of my literary powers. Truth really is, far stranger than fiction.

As far as teasing my readers, i'm just writing my bedtime story the way i used to read it. Chapter by what!:th

"Say grace."
"Grace!"
:lol:

S

sunsaver

It was dark, dead silent as i stood on the back stoop with my jacket pulled in under my tightly folded arms, shivering and listening to the faint crackles of twigs snapping. "This is not good i thought" Gradually, inevitably the crackles turned into loud cracks and booms. Then it turned into the fourth of July in January. Fireworks, powerlines and transformers exploding all around me. It sounded like i was in the middle of a war zone.
The ground wasn't frozen, so i decided to walk around to the front of my house, arms still tightly tucked. I could see one of my pine trees bent into a perfect upside down, u-shape, with a power line directly beneath it. It was such a dramatic arch, that i thought "God! If that thing doesn't break it's going to be a miracle!" The rain kept coming and freezing. The cracking and thudding of branches, and the booming of tree trunks snapping, finally lulled me to sleep.
When morning broke on the ice-storm day of devastation, it turned out that i had fared better than i could have hoped. One of my pines had gone down and took out Dee's fence, which started a tradition that carries on to this day ( i swear he must have a tree magnet buried in his yard). I had a few large limbs on the ground, but no holes in the roof, and to my complete dismay, that u-shaped pine was still arched over the power line glistening in the morning sun, covered in diamonds.
News reports indicated that it was one of the south's worst ice-storms on record. People in south Arkansas and northern Mississippi had been hit hard. Energy crews from all over Louisiana were being diverted to help those who's power was out in surrounding states. I thought, "Oh great. Now i'll never get my electricity turned on!".

S

sunsaver

I waited 2 weeks, to give them some time to hook up all those people who were not used to living without electricity. After all, i had been living off-grid for a month, so waiting a little longer wouldn't hurt. But soon the weather turned colder. The propane camp stove kept running out of propane. And i was eager to have TV and microwavable frozen dinners. I can't believe i used to eat that junk. :sick So finally i called the power company: "Hey look, i know ya'll are dealing with this ice storm, but i've been living in this house with no power for over a month. So, i was just wondering. How long before ya'll can get to me?"
"Well bless your heart! Your electricity has been cut off for a month?"
"No, this is a house that was moved in here. It's never been hooked up. I was told that they were going to put a pole in my yard.
"Yes, I see the request for service right here, but the work order was never put in. You poor thing! It's freezing! I'll have a crew there tomorrow!"
"Thank you so much!" I replied, then hung up.
Those were the good days, when the power company treated people like valued customers, instead of their personal slaves. But that's a conversation for another story. Here's the rest of the Old house Story: I bought a bunch of nice new gas-guzzling appliances, started living a nice, normal American life, and lived happily ever after. Well, for about a year anyway.

The Wood-Burning Stove Story:

It was a beautiful fall day, nicely warm but cool in the shade, and the sky was as clear as i had ever seen it. I was making a delivery to a job site about 40 miles from town and the country scenes were glorious. The fields were green and gently rolling by, punctuated here and there with an old barn or a crumbling shack. I was listening to classical music, as i often did, because it makes the scenery feel like a really good movie, and by the time i pulled into the construction zone, i was feeling just about as good as i ever had.
I had several boxes to unload (good exercise) and i tackled the job with cheerful vigor. Just as i finished, i noticed that all the workmen had dropped their tools and were gathered around a small radio. One of them trotted briskly over to the car next to me, and pulled a radio out. "Hey man?" I asked, "what's going on?"
"A plane full of people just accidentally flew into one of the twin towers!" He said.
"You're kidding!" I was in shock. I didn't believe him at first.
"No, really!" He said. "It's on all the stations!"
"I gotta go." I said. Jumped into the truck, skidded onto the road, and cut the radio on. Details were sketchy at first. The worst plane disaster ever. All those people in that building. My eyes to started to well up as the reporters voice began to choke and quiver, half crying as he spoke. Soon there was a report of a second plane. I knew immediately that it was a terrorist attack. I got super angry. I had 40 miles to go to get to a TV. Listening on the radio and not being able to see what was happening was excruciating. I'm sure that everyone in this country remembers where they were, and what they were doing. I was alone, listening to the blow by blow on the radio, feeling completely helpless. By the time i got to the shop, both towers were down, and everyone in the building was crowded into the break room and around the tv. It was a day that we will never forget.
It didn't seem possible. How could we be so vulnerable? At 5 o'clock i started home in my car. I drove in a sort of confused depression, unable to grip the full magnitude of what had just happened. Obviously we were at war and already losing. I happened to glance at the fuel gauge and realized i was below empty. 'Oh crud!' I thought. 'I've got to get gas or i'm not going to make it home.' Up ahead, the gas station was full. Every pump was taken, and cars were forming lines. Lines! I haven't see gas lines since i was a little kid. I passed by and kept on driving. The next one was full, and the next! It looked like i was going to get stranded, all just because people were starting to panic. I had no choice. I had to keep driving and pray that there was enough gas to get me home.

S

sunsaver

Thanks all! Thats correct, skr8pn. I buy them through Wind/sun.com and the charger is called the SunSaver 10, 10 amp charge controller, ss-10-12v, by Morningstar.

I chose this particular model for a couple of reasons. It is the closest amp rating greater than my panel rating, it is stackable, meaning that i can add more panels and controllers and batteries all in parallel, to increase the capacity of my 12volt off-grid system. And also because they are affordable, and encapsulated in epoxy. It is very tropical like in Louisiana, and i was worried that an expensive, computer-controlled mppt controller would get corroded out there. My house is covered by giant, old trees that keep it shaded. The house movers had a heck of a time working it into the spot i picked. So my panels have to go out in the sungarden, which is one of my many "garden rooms" an idea that i learned from P. Allen Smith. Well anyway, the garden, the power shed, and all those stories will be revealed in this journal. I'm a slow typer, so please be patient with me. When my serial is over, i'm afraid this will all be boring everyday garden stuff, with the occasional eureka moment.

For now, i'm just recollecting the major events in my life during the last 10 years, which led me to the lifestyle i live today.