Sunsaver, Livining Off-Grid In Suburbia- Happy Taconight America!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I love that P. Allen Smith guy.....his gardens are so PERFECT though. I always wonder if he is for real. He is the best person to practice lipreading with, he speaks so clearly.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I love that P. Allen Smith guy.....his gardens are so PERFECT though. I always wonder if he is for real. He is the best person to practice lipreading with, he speaks so clearly.
I used to love the focus factor infomercials cuz I could lip read just about everything the guysaid! :lol: OK, back to our regularly scheduled program. :pop

S

sunsaver

My car was a Japanese import from the early 1990s, and it got 55 mpg, so i wasn't too terribly worried. By the time i started getting close to home, my attention was back to the vulnerability of our infrastructure. Just a handful of terrorists had crippled the fuel distribution system. What if something similar happen to the electric grid. How would i heat my home and cook my food. Solar power would be too weak and expensive to heat my house and cook my food. Natural gas was not available in my neighborhood. Wood, however is abundant both on my property and from nearby friend's properties. It's renewable and effective, and those arguments were good enough for me. By the time i pulled into my driveway, i had decided to get a wood-burning stove.
I had seen one at my local farm, seed, and mercantile store. They had set them out recently because fall was getting near, so i guess the wood-burning stove idea had already been in the back of my mind. I had wanted to build a brick fireplace, but read that they don't heat a room anywhere near as well as a wood-burning stove. So i set out to plan my installation: The pipe would go through a collar, set in a square piece of tin, which would be fitted in a window. I saw an old shack outside of Natchez, Ms., that had this type of set up. The pad for the stove was to be made of 2x6x14 cinder-blocks, which are porous and act as a heat shield. Beneath that was to be a thermal blanket consisting of two sheets of aluminum, separated by a thin layer of fine sand. Under that was to be placed a layer of styrofoam board insulation. The bottom of this layer cake was hidden by decorative wood trim.
I worked on the project for a couple of weeks and paychecks. Finally, the pad was mortared in with gray mortar that matched the blocks. The wood trim, which was stained to match the floor, made the finished edge look like a neat little hearth. The extra insulation was over-kill, but i didn't want to take any chances on starting a fire. The stove was a black, cast-iron, boxwood stove with four scalloped legs, so it looked just as old as the house. The pipe came up out of the back, made a 90* turn and went out the window, turned again and went up as high as the ridge of the roof, where it ended in a rain bonnet.
Well there i was, with my new, old looking wood-burning stove. It was time to fire it up!. I put in some straw and kindling and struck a match.
Within seconds i had a good flame. I opened the damper all the way, and the flames started to huff and dance. I put a pot of water on the back, and started loading in wood. And loading wood. And loading more wood. Then i opened the damper all the way. The water was not even steaming! 'Why can't i even boil water with this thing?' Frustrated, i added more wood until the stove was huffing and puffing like a steam locomotive, and the sides were glowing red, and even the galvanized pipe was starting to smoke. Still no boiling water! Just a strange, chemical oder and a thin, ominous white smoke coming from the surface of the pipe.

S

sunsaver

savingdogs said:
:lol:

He must have a team of master gardeners working full time! He can probably afford it.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Where is the emoticon with a tapping foot?

You are leaving cliffhangers on purpose now!

:pop

S

sunsaver

:tongue Slavedriver! I guess i'll have to write all day and all night until i get to 2011. Okay! Here it goes!

Oh! I think i found the foot tapping smile: :rant

Close enough?

S

sunsaver

At that point the firebox was roaring so loud i thought it was going to crack in two, or even explode. And still no boiling water! And i kept thinking, 'What is that horrible smell! Is this going to happen every time i build a fire?' The house was getting so smoky, i decided to shut things down. I closed the flue, shut the damper, and went around opening all the doors and windows. When i came back to look at the stove, i was surprised to find that the water in the pot was about to boil over the edge. It seems that shutting the flue and damper had trapped the heat in the firebox, and forced it to pass under the burners. "Eureka! Now i know how to cook on a wood stove! " The back burn is high, the front is low. How easy is that!"
But my joy soon turned to distress as i began coughing, slowly at first, then violently gagging and gasping for air. I decided to leave to get some fresh air. I got in my car and headed toward the pool hall. As i drove i started to feel little aches and pains. After all, i had been working real hard, so a little soreness and tiredness was nothing to worry about. The cough was gone now, and my throat wasn't sore, so i figured that was a good sign. I arrived at the pool hall, completely worn out, and dragged my self through the saloon doors, and plopped down at the bar.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Sunsaver.........if'n you'd quit double posting, you could get a little further along in the story.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:pop :pop :pop

S

sunsaver

skr8pn, i resemble that remark! But i went back and fixed it. :cool: