Supper beets

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My parents use the super beets. My mom hates beets, they do have a garden but root vegetables can be difficult for them to manage (knee surgeries and all, still hard for them to get down on the ground). They aren't lazy. They just pick their battles. I think supplements are often better than taking medication.

Lazy... I stand corrected! If you can't, you cant. Thanks for keeping me honest :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We use a powdered supplement with all kinds of super foods in it - all organic and all that. No way I could mix up the stuff that's in that....and we love it. I can't do pure beets - damn near killed me once...

I think there's a place for both. If you can grow 'em - I say go for it. If you can tolerate it without an allergic reaction - do it! I'll continue on with our powdered supplement because it covers more than I ever could ever mix up - or even grow.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know if people have more $$$ than brains or if they are just lazy and don't want to put in a garden and can? All the dependancy on processed food nowadays is simply crazy. Even my MIL & FIL won't eat the eggs that my chickens lay, let alone chicken that I raised and butchered. They say "it's not natural". Which is the most lame assed excuse I ever heard... if they would only understand what kind of conditions factory chickens live in they might understand natural from unnatural... But you know I have to be nice to the in laws.

I used to sell chicken eggs and I still remember one lady that told me she wasn't going to buy my eggs anymore because "they're too orange!" She claimed they made all her baked goods look weird. *sigh*

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My sister won't eat at my house. I raise and slaughter animals and I am cruel......and my sister joins the ranks of blithering idiots.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I actually had an egg customer tell me once that my hens' eggs are "too rich" for them :th Poor things.

As for the powdered supplements, I bought some powdered kale, pea protein, spirulina etc to add to my morning shake for a protein boost. Yikes. It may be good for you, but the taste :sick

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I really like beets. I planted two rows of them yesterday. When I was a kid, my mom used to make beet jelly. Prettiest jelly you've ever seen. It was my favorite kind. We've been looking for the recipe for years. :drool

I do also use supplements, because face it, I can be a really lazy cook sometimes. I'd much much much rather be outside doing almost anything than be stuck inside cooking. I'm the first one up in the morning, and DH and DS rarely eat breakfast, so I sometimes just make up a healthy shake, or a cup of yogurt with healthy stuff dumped in. It's fast, and I don't have to do a lot of dishes. If I'm outside working on something, I often lose track of time, and hate to have to stop for something like making lunch. I'm very productive until I stop and sit down... Granted, this is when DH is at work, and DS is now old enough to make his own meals...
My husband is a FABULOUS cook (his only brother was a certified chef), lucky for me! My kids call me a "tin can connessiouer" (I have no clue how to spell that!) :lol: The joke around our house is that we "survive" on my cooking, and "thrive" on his. I'm ok with that. :gig