Supper beets

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm going to throw out a warning here... Several years ago after juicing some very healthy ingredients....apples, carrots, fresh from the garden beets, I had a very severe reaction. Everything I used was organic and/or home grown.

It was a very hot day and I had been outside mowing, weeding and was overheated and thirsty. I made juice. What could be more healthy, right? Within a minute or so of my first drink of "healthy" juice my throat started feeling scratchy... so I drank more juice. Another minute goes by and I'm dizzy, nauseous, feel like I'm about to pass out and can't even call out for DH. I managed to get from the kitchen to the living room and still can't speak so I knocked on the wall to get his attention. Being the nurse that he is - he takes one look at me and says we're going to the ER. Being the stubborn person that I am - I said no - I just want to get in a tub of cool water (because I'm thinking I'm hot and I want to cool off). Or maybe not thinking, lol. I get in the tub - start shaking violently, vomit in the water, get out and off to the ER we go.

I had oxalate poisoning from the fresh beet juice. Oxalates are the same thing in the house plant "dumb cane" (which accounts for the vocal cord problems) and in rhubarb leaves. Excess oxalates can also do kidney damage.

Let me just say that you DON'T want to experience what I experienced.

I am a firm believer in healthy eating - and I still think juicing has its place for some folks. Just be careful.

Further research seemed to indicate that my ratio of beet juice was too high and the beets were too fresh. The beets you get in a grocery store are usually ok - because they are anything but fresh, lol.

A lot of times I'll say I had an allergic reaction to beets - but in reality - that's not true. I had a reaction to the oxalic acid in the beets.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm going to throw out a warning here... Several years ago after juicing some very healthy ingredients....apples, carrots, fresh from the garden beets, I had a very severe reaction. Everything I used was organic and/or home grown.

It was a very hot day and I had been outside mowing, weeding and was overheated and thirsty. I made juice. What could be more healthy, right? Within a minute or so of my first drink of "healthy" juice my throat started feeling scratchy... so I drank more juice. Another minute goes by and I'm dizzy, nauseous, feel like I'm about to pass out and can't even call out for DH. I managed to get from the kitchen to the living room and still can't speak so I knocked on the wall to get his attention. Being the nurse that he is - he takes one look at me and says we're going to the ER. Being the stubborn person that I am - I said no - I just want to get in a tub of cool water (because I'm thinking I'm hot and I want to cool off). Or maybe not thinking, lol. I get in the tub - start shaking violently, vomit in the water, get out and off to the ER we go.

I had oxalate poisoning from the fresh beet juice. Oxalates are the same thing in the house plant "dumb cane" (which accounts for the vocal cord problems) and in rhubarb leaves. Excess oxalates can also do kidney damage.

Let me just say that you DON'T want to experience what I experienced.

I am a firm believer in healthy eating - and I still think juicing has its place for some folks. Just be careful.

Further research seemed to indicate that my ratio of beet juice was too high and the beets were too fresh. The beets you get in a grocery store are usually ok - because they are anything but fresh, lol.

A lot of times I'll say I had an allergic reaction to beets - but in reality - that's not true. I had a reaction to the oxalic acid in the beets.

Yes... We all should be careful... Thanks for pointing that out.

Our bodies become used to the poor quanity of nutrents contained in store bought food. A sudden inflow of large amounts nutrents contained in fresh foods can cause adverse affects. It's kind of like a shock to the system... Same kind of thing holds true for well well vs city (clorine) water.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:) Just to clarify - what I experienced wasn't from a large quantity of nutrients - it was due to the oxalic acid (oxalic acid = poison) contained in the food. Oxalic acid is also implicated as contributing to kidney stones and is considered to be an "anti-nutrient."

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That is good to know, FEM. I wonder how long you need to wait with fresh beets, before they can be juiced safely. Heaven only knows how old the ones in the grocery stores are :\

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you can them, doesn't that kill the oxalic acid?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you can them, doesn't that kill the oxalic acid?
No idea - I just don't eat beets anymore. :( I do love them pickled though...maybe I'll give one a little taste.

I had no problem juicing beets that I had bought at the grocery store. That was the first time I'd juiced really fresh beets. And, by fresh, I mean they had literally been in the ground 5 minutes before I drank the juice. The other factor mentioned by the doc is the possibility that because we were in a drought that year that the oxalates might have been more concentrated... I dunno...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:) Just to clarify - what I experienced wasn't from a large quantity of nutrients - it was due to the oxalic acid (oxalic acid = poison) contained in the food. Oxalic acid is also implicated as contributing to kidney stones and is considered to be an "anti-nutrient."

Also Google just might be your friend here...
Screenshot_2017-09-18-12-35-07.png

Direct link ---> https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/kidney-stones-oxalate-controlled-diet

Luckily for me I don't have this problem, so I'm not giving up my canned raw beet juice - it has to many positives for me :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Crud, I like all the things on that list… I'd better go easy on them.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As a matter of fact... I just finished drinking my daily 1 1/2 pots of coffee. Now I'm drinking lemonade with a touch of beet juice. For me it's a great mid-day pick me up so I don't fall asleep. After all that coffee you wouldn't think I would be tired though.