Supper beets

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I keep some protein shakes at hand. Often, coffee, feed animals, change clothes & go to work. That protein is my breakfast. Sometimes it is lunch if I'm running around at farm working. Bolthouse chocolate is really tasty! Large size more cost effective, pour in a glass or smaller bottle and go! MOST days I eat, home cooked, homemade & healthy, raw milk, home cheese, etc,

I prefer to "eat" but sometimes no time. I do take a couple supplement pills each AM. Vinpocetine & turmeric, plus Krill Oil every 3rd day or so. There is a difference if I don't take. Vinpocetine helps with blood & oxygen, so brain isn't foggy....yeah, old age thing. I have very low BP & take no meds, no need. That's a good thing. Still work outside jobs plus do farm (15 acres, 30 head livestock & 60-70 chickens) --- Stretch exercise each morn & probably walk 2 miles a day. I work doing resets, so move a lot, climb ladders, lift product. Still load my own animal hay/feed, repair/install fence, gates, etc.

KEEP active...as long as you can. :old
If I could just outrun wrinkles! :th

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm working on gaining weight, maybe that will slow down the wrinkles? :p

I can't eat in the mornings, so after coffee I have a glass of milk with some added whey protein to get my day started. Along with some Spirulina pills for nutrients, etc.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What is spirulina? I'm clueless lol

When I'm not pregnant I have a hard time eating breakfast. These days I wake up thirsty and starving!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
When I'm not pregnant I have a hard time eating breakfast. These days I wake up thirsty and starving!
When I was pregnant I had a hard time eating, or rather keeping food down. It was so bad, I ended up losing weight! The breakfast thing has been an issue for me for many, many years though. I just can't face food so early in the day.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Breakfast -- sometimes isn't until 9:30-10:30, after chores. On days when I leave out at 6-7AM to work, can't eat, no time. Protein shake. Most work days I do not leave early like that...maybe twice a month, generally a team job. Most days I set my own hrs & work alone. :cool:

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, this thread has taken on a life of its own!
@crealbilly thank you so much for starting this with so much detail and pictures. I apologize for helping to highjack your thread. It has been years since I was able to have a real garden and this spring's garden didn't do well. I am really looking forward to my beets growing (along with the peas and broccoli I just planted.) I'm very fortunate to be able to plant two gardens a year here.
My family has a history of high blood pressure, and beet juice is one of the best things a person can drink for that. I really do prefer the real food, and am so very impressed with your garden and pictures. (I really like that this site covers so many different topics...) I am really hoping to have some beets later this fall to can. A daily dose of beet juice might not be what the doctor ordered, but it might just be what I need to stay out of his office. :)