Sustainable: A Soapbox Moment

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The ancient wheat varieties also hand more and deeper root bases, which mined more nutrients and more water reserves were available. So the production was better as is the nutrition of the wheat produced.

No doubt, the old farm practices are not part of the huge, corporate, mono farms. Shame. Now it's pesticide and man made chemicals to fertilize instead of cow patties and good hay.

In the 40s when Victory gardens were pushed and encouraged by the government, people once again fed themselves. Many were community gardens. Fresher foods, no transport, etc. Variety -- & all prior to GMO issues.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ewwww. That is disturbing. Is it safe to assume it is not used in organic breads? Or no?

I guess I better start making bread again...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes when I overthink it I get stressed out. So I take one thing at a time and know that I'm always working towards self sufficiency. A little at a time!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
....just try to do as much as we can to minimize these problems. :idunno

That's the best we can do.

Yes when I overthink it I get stressed out. So I take one thing at a time and know that I'm always working towards self sufficiency. A little at a time!

Good way to take it. You can make yourself crazy.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yet another reason to make your own bread. I am even thinking about moving on to sandwich rolls for burger and such. Big Family Homestead did a blog on making some nice soft sandwich rolls. I was interested before but now doubly so.

I know I can eat home grown free range eggs but most store bought make me sick. I kind of figured it was what they feed those critters.

Latest posts