Sustainable: A Soapbox Moment

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's part of what we do on EG, there was a seed train going but it petered out after awhile. Once I get this harvest in and save seed I plan to set back enough for next year and a little bit more for insurance then offer the rest up for trade for other varieties. I had some pepper seeds I'd gotten from HotPepperQueen that never sprouted after the first year cause I didn't save seed, I ended up having to go out and buy pepper seeds. I intend to save the seed from them even though I know they won't come out exactly the same since they're Walmart cheap seeds

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's down right scary to think we may not have a choice in the future about we plant or even if we can get pure seed (non GMO or hybrids) varieties. :hide With government and big agri companies interference with Mother Nature.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:thumbsup Great minds think alike.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was thinking about the Irish Potato Famine as well after reading the first post.

My great uncle grows potatoes. He rotates fields so they are never in the same spot two years. He's on a 6 year cycle I think. Alfalfa for 3 years. Sweet corn. Then melons. Then potatoes. Lets the crop specific pests die off that way.

Look at the dairy industry with the Holsteins as well. They are all fairly closely related. One disease would wipe them out. It's easier for diseases to spread among genetically closely related individuals.

Disease when it hits isn't going to make the species go extinct, but it may take out any highly inbred breeds.

Used to be that there were regional varieties of plants and breeds of animals that did best for that climate. They do best in the long run. Some were usurped because new types were brought in that were touted as better and when crossed, the offspring seemed to be much better (because of hybrid vigor).

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lack of consumer education and interest, coupled with corporation greed, keeps driving this ugly machine, while Americans rush in record numbers to a medical community that is all too willing to treat with chemicals conditions that are basically self inflicted.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Weird crap to out food? Read this Hinotori. Just reading this will make you sick. I just learned this a few months ago.

Did you know that store bought bread...with it's perfect texture....never any big voids, contains azodicarbonamide. They use it to make the "perfect bread".

Do you know what azodicarbonamide is?

PLASTIC! It's the same stuff they use to make Yoga Mats! It plays a role in the formation of air bubbles by breaking down into gas at high temperature.

It is legal to use in the US, but banned in Europe and Australia. In fact, in some countries, if it is found you are using it in food, you can go to jail!

1. Azodicarbonamide is an Industrial Chemical
The primary function of azodicarbonamide is centered on the way it breaks down during processing — it creates tiny bubbles that make things “foamy.” Somewhere in the testing procedures, scientists discovered it whitened flour and acted as an oxidizing agent. Bakers, or rather “food scientists” soon concluded that it should be a standard inclusion in bread.

2. Azodicarbonamide Increases the Irritability of Gluten
Gluten has been linked to a host of gastro-intestinal, immunologic and neurologic diseases. If you take it a step further, gluten is irritating to gluten intolerant bodies because it contains two proteins, glutenin and gliadin, which those body’s struggle to process. When bread dough is treated with azodicarbonamide, it can break down the gluten and make glutenin and gliadin more immediately available.

3. Azodicarbonamide Can Cause Respiratory Problems
Research has established a direct link between exposure to azodicarbonamide and the onset of asthma. According to a World Health Organization (WHO) follow-up report, regular occupational exposure to azodicarbonamide can lead to asthma and allergies. The WHO report notes many of those who developed asthma and other respiratory complications experienced symptoms within just three months of exposure.

4. Azodicarbonamide is a Skin Irritant
The WHO report also noted physical exposure to azodicarbonamide caused recurring dermatitis. Fortunately for those suffering, eliminating exposure caused the indications of the dermatitis to go away. While this is good news, these results show how quickly industrial chemicals can initiate an autoimmune response. Unfortunately, skin irritation seems to be the least of concerns…

5. Azodicarbonamide Disrupts the Immune System
In 2001, lab tests found that direct exposure to azodicarbonamide inhibited human immune cell formation and function. Although “direct exposure” may be less of a common problem, the bigger problem happens when azodicarbonamide is heated up, as when it’s a bread ingredient…

6. Azodicarbonamide Creates Toxic By-Products When Heated
While azodicarbonamide is used to condition bread dough, when it’s baked, the heat causes it to break down. Two by-products can result: semicarbazide and ethyl carbamate. Semicarbazide belongs to a family of chemicals known as hydrazines that are especially carcinogenic. A 2003 study using animal models found that it caused free radical damage to DNA. Other studies have found that semicarbazide damages human immune cells and the DNA of animals.

The other half of the gruesome twosome is no better. The National Institute of Health’s Hazardous Substances Data Bank states that ethyl carbamate is a carcinogen to animals; in fact this is backed by over 200 studies. Research from 17 years ago confirmed that adding azodicarbonamide to bread increased ethyl carbamate levels. The awful truth is that industry has known for nearly two decades that this is toxic trash and fed it to us anyway.

7. Harmful to Hormone Function
Exposure to semicarbazide can present another health risk. Animal studies have found it has a toxic impact on hormone function and the hormone-regulating organs, including the thyroid, thymus, spleen, testes, ovaries, and uterus. As is the case with all endocrine disrupting compounds, this stuff is poison!

8. Europe and Australia Have Banned It
While US Officials continue to claim the amount of azodicarbonamide found in most baked products poses no serious health threat, European and Australian officials have banned its use in bread. Baby food jars were another source of exposure and officials were left without answers concerning the “safe levels” for infants. Consequently, European officials disallowed its use in sealing glass jars.

9. Subway is Not the Only Violator
An NBC news piece released shortly after Subway’s bread revelation identified several other restaurants whose food contained azodicarbonamide. These include McDonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s, Arby’s, Jack in the Box, and Chick-fil-A. Although not all bread from these restaurants may contain azodicarbonamide, is it worth the risk? Bottom line — if you want to avoid it, get in contact with the corporate big wigs who control restaurants from afar and verify they’ve made a pledge not to use any azodicarbonamide.

A Final Thought…
“Health officials” may claim this trash is safe in low doses, but who’s monitoring exposure? And let’s face, at any level a toxin is a toxin. If it doesn’t contribute to health, it’s taking away from it. As I’ve said for years, disease happens when toxic buildup in the body becomes too great. The best approach for encouraging good health continues to be eating a diet of natural, organic foods from trusted sources and regularly detoxifying your body.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Holes are good, so long as they aren't tooo big. then the P&B squishes out. :cool:

Latest posts