Sustainable Tips to Save Money on Groceries

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do most everything on the list, but buy local, for us buying local is a great thing but it will not save you any money

right, the closer stores are smaller but more expensive so to make a trip further away worth it they are our bulk food stops once every month or two. it is, however, good for us to get out once in a while and our favorite chinese food place is over that ways along with the asian food store that i like to wander through and check out what is in there that i haven't tried. that store also has bulk rice and beans so if i'm in need of either of those it is a good place to get some (even if i'm not much of a rice eater i can still have some from time to time).

for bartering and friendly neighbors i could have had some free apples this past fall from someone fairly local to me but i just had no time at all for going and picking them or time to process them.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I also eat seasonally in regards to fruit and vegetables I grow as it hurts my soul to buy from the store.
And of course all my meat is free from my hunting/diving.

Not quite there yet with fruit and berries but working on it... I can relate to the hurting soul having to buy from the store.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got them from a rancher friend. Cattle syrup lick tubs will make a fine garden! LOL
Protein tubs will hold 21 gallons of water which is a little over 3 cuft of compost soil.

The least expensive bagged soil I've found last year was on sale at rural king (40 lbs or .75 cuft) 4 bags should get you close for each tub. Currently top soil at rural king is $2.75 a bag so that's $11.00 a tub, if you went with all bagged soil.

At this rate, if you got access to a plow and disc you would be a lot better off money wise. Probably wouldn't take but a few dollars in fuel to plow and disc. If you have access to a box tiller you could also till instead of plow and disc but I like top soil on the bottom rotting when the roots find it they take off like a rocket.

Just thinking out loud

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Mooch off of friends and family.

DD is soooo wasteful. She always tosses the turkey carcass. I got it simmered yesterday.
She always throws out the giblets. Not anymore. I'll take them.
She throws away alot of food. Lots of rice. I bought her a large round foodservice bucket with lid from the Chefs Store and now anything that she wants to throw away goes in there, and placed in the extra fridge in the garage.. Purportedly for the 12 chickens, but sometimes I find things for us. (like half a cabbage yesterday).

Elderly neighbors below us let me glean their garden a few times. In exchange, I passed on some Harry & David gourmet items I had picked up from their Medford OR giveaways.

Another neighbor has a large apple tree. All the apples fell off. I asked and then got permission to pick up the fallen ones and so I made applesauce.
Love it!