Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe Needed!

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used a recipe cut out from a magazine last year (as I still can't convince anyone to get the family recipe!) and tried it out for Sweet Potato Casserole. However it tasted much too bitter and I wondered if it had too much Ginger to it. I typed the recipe out in full for any input as it was listed on the magazine clipping:

SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
Serves 8
Prep 10 min
Microwave 15 min
Broil 2 min

2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
1 tbsp finely grated ginger
3/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans
1 bag large marshmallows, halved

In a large microwave-safe dish, combine sweet potatoes, ginger, and 1/2 tsp salt with 1 cup water
Cover dish tightly with plastic wrap and poke holes to vent
Microwave at 100% for 15 min
Drain potatoes and mash with butter, sugar, cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp salt
Stir in pecans and spread in a broiler-safe dish
Heat broiler
Top potatoes with marshmallows
Broil until marshmallows are browned 1 to 2 min

However, I still remain in need of a good recipe if anyone is willing to share! :fl

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
hmm, don't see anything out of the way there. I don't usually use fresh ginger in mine, but the conversion of fresh and dried are in line. I don't know why it would have been bitter, unless there was something about the ginger itself.

We don't use sweet potatoes now, because they have too many carbs for us. Instead, I found this Mock Sweet Potato Casserole that uses pumpkin; even our non-keto friends like it, and I've never told them what goes into it, lol.

INGREDIENTS
1 head of cauliflower about 1.2 pounds florets
1 cup mashed pumpkin
1/3 Brown Sugar Swerve
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter softened
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves

PECAN TOPPING
3 Brown Sugar Swerve
2 tablespoons coconut flour
3 tablespoons almond flour
4 tablespoons butter softened
3/4 cup chopped pecans

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Cut cauliflower into florets and steam until soft. (I steamed them in the Instant Pot for 5 minutes)
2. Combine steamed cauliflower, pumpkin, sweetener, eggs, salt, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves in food processor or blend. Puree until smooth.
3. Spread mashed cauliflower mixture into a 2-quart or 11x17 casserole dish.

TOPPING
1. In medium bowl, mix together Brown Swerve, coconut flour, and almond flour.
2. Cut in butter then stir in pecans.
3. Sprinkle pecan mixture over cauliflower mixture.
4. Bake at 325°F for 30 minutes or until topping has browned

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't like sweet potato mush and casserole recipes always seem to be mush. So I do mine a little different

Peel sweet potatoes, cut into strips, then into 1/2" cubes. Saute in hot oil, slightly brown the cubes.

Zest an orange, then peel the orange. Over a bowl (to catch the juice) section the orange, then squeeze the membranes to get the juice out.

1/2 cup pecans
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp mace
1/2 cup butter, melted

Combine the pecans, brown sugar and spices, add orange zest. Mix well with sweet potato cubes, then add melted butter, orange segments and juice. Spread in a pyrex baking dish and bake at 350* for 30 minutes covered with foil, then remove foil and bake another 20 minutes.

I don't put marshmallows on top, but you certainly can if you want to. You can add more brown sugar if you wish.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We usually do Candied Yam's for Thanksgiving, but this year I am bringing Sweet Potato Bake.

Grandma's Candied Yams
- Peel and boil desired amount of Sweet Potatoes. Cook until almost tender (they need to hold together when sliced). Cool completely and slice potatoes into about 3/8 to 1/2" thick rounds.
-In a shallow dish mix together 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/8 tsp black pepper.
-In another shallow dish, beat 1 egg and 1/4 cup of milk.
Heat a heavy skillet and melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
Dip sweet potato rounds in egg/milk, then coat in the flour /brown sugar mix. Place in pan and fry until browned - turn over and brown the other side. Place on plate and keep warm. Fry all the potatoes, adding butter as necessary. This is very messy and putsy, but delicious!

I will post my Sweet Potato Bake recipe when I get home tonight. It does not have marshmallow on top and has received my fathers nod of approval. He is even allowing me to sub this for his mom's Candied Yams this year for Thanksgiving.:drool

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like sweet potatoes most any way you fix them. But candied yams has always been a favorite. This time of year I often buy a case -- lot of local grown -- and make a big ole pan of candied yams, freezing into some normal meal portions for later, after I have pigged out on them! I will keep some fresh potato to bake and eat. They stay good for a few months if stored well. Yeah, plate of candied yams and collards cooked in ham broth, YUMMY. That a great meal. Don't need ham or turkey! :lol:

Sorry -- no casserole recipe. But, now that the word has come up, I'm thinking I'd like a nice yellow squash casserole -- you know, with onion, creamed soup, cheese, etc. :drool

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My dad did a sweet potato dish one year with apples and maple syrup - it was yummy. I don't have the recipe but I bet Google has a reasonable facsimile.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i always vote for simple. roasted sweet potatoes to get them mostly done, peel, slice, top with brown sugar, butter and if you must spices, but my preferences to leave them alone since i like the flavor of them as they are. topped with marshmallows and toasted is ok, but i'm in the fire camp (or camp fire i should say) when i generally just light marshmallows on fire. like a good BBQ it just doesn't seem right if there's not some black on there... :)

ok, um, what were you asking about? i've never had black pepper in sweet potatoes and i think most spices i've ever had with them were things like cinnamon. otherwise, you're stepping into sweet potatoe pie and custard like territory. which, since i adore punkin pie and sweet potato pie, i don't object to in the slightest. other than some visual indication that i'm actually eating a pie v.s. quiche or a savory...

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I appreciate everyones input and other recipes- it gives me alot of options and ideas on what to make coming up. I'll ask once more for the family recipe but if all else fails, I'll be back here to these recipes :)

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug I like to peel and dice sweet potatoes, coat them with olive oil and seasoning (garlic, rosemary and thyme works great), then roast them in a 400*F oven until browned and tender- turning once or twice. They are so good! A fantastic side for a pork tenderloin roast or chicken breasts. Simple easy supper.