Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe Needed!

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Mini Horses - "Beg" is overkill on my part...I meant "Ask" in the kindest possible way. I mainly said it because I've been asking for the past three years or so to try and get it? It's my husband's aunt who knows the recipe. It was passed to her from her grandmother (DH's great-grandma) and darn it is good. But she's so busy these days it's hard to get a chance to chat, so hoping when we gather for Christmas I can get it then :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Mini Horses - "Beg" is overkill on my part...I meant "Ask" in the kindest possible way. I mainly said it because I've been asking for the past three years or so to try and get it? It's my husband's aunt who knows the recipe. It was passed to her from her grandmother (DH's great-grandma) and darn it is good. But she's so busy these days it's hard to get a chance to chat, so hoping when we gather for Christmas I can get it then :)

it has taken us about 10yrs to get one recipe from one side of the family (for baked spaghetti). finally we got it this past summer. made it. yep, it's still good. i'd tried once before but we didn't have it right and it didn't work so i was discouraged and didn't pursue it again until this year.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My late husbands Ex was Italian and made THE BEST spaghetti sauce ever! Her 2 daughters were taught....and sworn to secrecy.

Many years later, their dad was dead set on having his weekly Italian dinner. So, he had his oldest DD to make sauce for us.
They also had a tradition with lasagna that was awesome plus. This DD was advised -- by her dad -- that lasagna needed to be made and frozen for us, a year's worth. He paid for all ingredients. One year, when the "annual make lasagna day" was close, she decided enough was enough! I needed to help. So, I learned to make this lasagna. Then I presented her with two huge pots to make "the" sauce...one for her and one for us. LOL All day stirring and watching gave her time to think on this extra work. She finally decided I wasn't going anywhere and her dad had to have the sauce. sooooooooooo…….the following year I was given a day to be at her house to WATCH her make the sauce. No recipe was given but I was handed a pen and paper and was on my own.
After that, I could make the sauce. Granted, it had to be in the 24 qt pot because I only knew spices from watching & guessing. :lol: Later, I was able to do well with lesser amounts. Even today, I make great sauce & lasagna!

I am suggesting that you need to be there to "help" make that casserole!!! Go help that lady!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Momma learned from Grandma all her recipes (Grandma taught her how to cook). i can duplicate them and have helped make them since i was about 6yrs old, but they are also all written down. i'm half Italian - it is our base cuisine (Italian American is what i consider it).

i'm sure this can be a fun debate among the purists but the bake lasagna noodles are so much nicer. :)

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Mini Horses - Hopefully I can catch her sometime baking it! She lives a good bit a ways but there should be a family reunion/Thanksgiving gathering soon and I'll be tagging behind aunt-in-law to get a bite and get a recipe. :fl I wish I could've gotten my Grandmother's pineapple upside down cake when she was alive, but I don't think she ever kept written recipes and no one else learned to make it! Not crumbly, not dry, perfect flavor.