TALchemist - back and moving along

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That sounds nice. I'd love to find something like that myself.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome back and Happy Anniversary! Congrats on the land purchase - you are certainly moving along in the right direction!.

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well i can finally get this thing to let me type. I have been working on the land on weekends. Playing with my chainsaw to clear a few standind dead pines near my driveway. Even got to use the saw and a guide to cut 2 nice timbers....i would like to do a timberframed something.

We decided going potty in the bushes wasnt good and started a basic outhouse-shed combo to hold a few tools....then yesterday was not a good day. I was there to install the door i got from home depot, i had a small fire pit with all cleared around it and stone blocks to hold my grill grate for cooking. A strong gust of wind took an ember several feet into the grass. Then voom. Off and running grass fire. Not enough water and no fire extenguisher. Long story after a few hour with the volunteer fire department and the alabama forestry service, the fire was out. About half my pasture is cleared and a good chunk of the pines that seperate my property from neighboors are clear of underbrush and pinestraw. The poor outhouse is gone. Also burnt up a hammer my cordless drill and a wheel burrow. :'(

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
All of which is replaceable. Glad you didn't get burned up as well.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh no! I understand that awful feeling when you can't get that fire under control. We had to call the volunteer fire dept so we weren't responsible for burning up the entire county. :hide Another time it just flat got away from us, but I called people around and they helped me put it out. The wind would suddenly shift or a gust and that's all it took.
You lost some stuff, but like Deb said, it's all replaceable. Glad you weren't hurt.

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Yes i am very glad it was just things, even though it is frustrating. I guess the brite side is i can walk the pine trees much better as it cleared most of the brush. And i have lots of clear space to start my garden and plant some fruit trees and vines.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome back, Charles. Interesting ongoing story. Best of luck with carrying out your plans into the future.

I just want to add: don't be afraid of (and get over any reluctance about) carpentry, plumbing, basic electrical, basic metal work, and similar skills/knowledge. You'll need them. You may have to hire a pro now and then (especially while you're learning), but never stop learning. As you've maybe figured out, these skills make sheltering yourself and raising plants and animals possible.

Last edited:

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
None of those skills are a concern for me. thankfully I have worked with habitat for humanity to build an entire house. I have worked with electricians and plumbers on the house too. I even like to do welding, wood turning, and lots of other fun things...if it involves tools I love it.

for the property the parts that burned are looking beautiful now. really helped clear the understory of the trees next to our build site.

we are planning on doing a 16x32 cabin. we have half of the posts/columns in place and just need to cement them and dig the other half(we started a 16x16 with full loft/2nd story, but that would be complex and expensive to go to a second story). we will do it all on a cash basis so it might take some time.

we also just finished building a shelter logic garage in a box. it is 12x20 and allows us to store things dry there, like building supplies and a small solar setup to run lights at night.

we have had to do some other things before finishing the outhouse and doing the cabin. there is a wet mess at the driveway where there is a bowl shape that we drive right through and is rutted. but I solved most of that by digging a trench along the driveway that goes away and to a lower area. we will make a French drain with gravel that crosses the low spot and goes out to the lower area. but just digging the trench stopped all water build up.