TALchemist - back and moving along

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
ok i qualify for a conventional loan or fha. i am just waiting to get a signed contract and get my info to the banker to get final paper work :) might be closing on Dec 1.

we went ring shopping and have the engagement rings and both wedding bands and i have us booked for a 7 night cruise the day after the wedding :D she just has to get her dress (she is going tonight) and the final choice of venue....on sunday we go and talk with the place we really want a nice bed and breakfast here in town.

It will be really busy this end of the year, but it is just plain awesome!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WOW - things are moving right along and it all sounds wonderful! Congrats on everything coming together for you!

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
since i now have a pond to use, does anyone know any fruit trees, bushes, shrubs, vnies, etc that grow well near the pond? i know the soil would be more wet there and most trees dont like wet feet. is there any exceptions? there are oaks and some kind of maple at an elevation lower than the pond so i imagine they have more mosture there. i have always planned around not having enough water...now i got a LOT of it :idunno

more land means more posibilities and less limitations....but more agrivation since i dont know enough.

one good thing...the previous house tenant got a few deer from the back door during deer season so yeah free meat :) boo garden pests....i guess that is a mixed blessing.

i think the goats i plan on getting will be used by the house to clear alot of the undergrowth in the trees on the 5 acres (it is much more wooded except near the house) then once it is cleaned a bit i most likely move them accros the road to clean the edges of the 8 acres. and have the sheep grazing the larger pasture.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't recall where you're located. I know cranberries will grow around water, but I don't know what other considerations there are.

As for trees, I know a ton that will grow well in wetter areas, but not knowing where you are means I don't know if they'd be good trees for you or not. Once I know where you are, I can tell you if these trees would be good for you.

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
central alabama. zone 8

hot humid summers. but nicer mild winters :)

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
ok, hopefully today i will get the contract signed for the land. but since i still need an appraisal and signed paper work for the land i most likely will have to wait till the first of the year to close on the land...as i only have one more week till my wedding and weeklong honeymoon.

getting excited now.

still a little intimidating.

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
and now for some updates.

the land changed from just 8 acres and a barn for $40k, to 13 acres a pond a barn and a 2 bedroom 1 bath house for $65k. (this was the 5 acres a pond and house accross the road added to the original 8 acres)

on the good side i am now married :) she wants to grow a garden in her yard and learn about animals. :) she wants the land and to get a homestead going :D

on the bad side. we went wiht a different bank at my dad's proding..was going to be conventional loan...then no...then FHA loan...got everything done and off to underwriter.....just found out no deal. they wont do a mortgage if the house is less than 75% of the sale price. my land is 57% land. we then went back to bank one...they want 20% and i dont have that and wont for some time....so no deal.

my dad is going to talk to the owner since earlier he offered to owner finance it....(my dad didnt want to do that)...but now it is our only choice. if they do it will be owner financed for 2-3 years and then i can get a loan to pay off the rest. that would give me time to move to the land, sell my house and my wifes house, then save a nice big fat down payment for the land.

so limbo again.

but i am happy with my wife so all is still good.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congratulations on getting married! :woot

I'm Canadian, so all of your mortgage stuff is pretty much Greek to me, but sorry that you are dealing with it all--hope you find a way!

TAlchemist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i am back on the site and on the correct path finally.

i know its been a while but i just wanted to get back on and update.

in a few days i will have been married a year and am so grateful for my wife. :D
we also closed on land last month. 25 acres. about 50% open hay pasture and the rest woods. mostly large oak, elm, and pine. there seems to be a huge amount of oaks, some very large over 1-2ft trunks...lots of acorns. according to previous owners there are deer and turkeys on the property for hunting. there is nothing on the property so it is a wide open slate. the soil is pretty good, and there are wild muscadine vines growing everywhere...the first time we visited the land they where all loaded with wild muscadines. we will be taking it slow and avoiding spending any money on it till after the holidays. we have camped out on thel and and built a nice dog pen to take our dogs with us when we camp. it is in a pretty well undeveloped area only 30-45 min from my job so once we move out there it wont be a bad drive. might be a while before we move out there but we can start prepairing, planting, and planning mostly.

i plan on building a shed with some of the timber on the propertry and my woodworking skills <to learn more than basics, i have read alot and watched videos but i need to practice to really learn it> this will mean low to no cost but lots of time, especially since i love using my hand tools.... and it is something fun to do on weekends when we visit. :D

all told it was a very good year.

Latest posts