Talk to me about GUNS

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last night, my foundling Beagle Lady was bitten by a copperhead snake.

Luckily, today she is fine. There is still some swelling and pain, but she is getting around fine, eatting and drinking running and wagging her tail. She was bitten on the lip and I'm pretty sure it was either a dry bite or the fangs went through her lip.

The most handy thing I had was of course...a hoe, so I went after the slithery little devil. I was almost bitten and it scared the dickens outta me - it struck at me twice. I would not have had time to get into the house and unlock the rifle and load it had I even thought of it , but it got me thinking....

What sort of guns do you have at home and what do you use them for? How do you store them and how much ammunition do you stock for each?

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have got a shotgun, but it's not really useful for anything other than loading it w/ light ammo to scare the deer out of the orchard.
Anything that gets after my chickens - a handgun is more useful as you can shoot the pred and not the chickens.

Edited to add : Still prefer a shovel for snakes - works faster and feels safer.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit that I have more guns than perhaps 75% of those on the forum, but they're just one of my hobbies. Around my property, I carry a .22 magnum revolver with me during the warm months, specifically for venomous snakes. I use the .22 magnum because it carries a little more power in the case that I have to deal with a rabid raccoon (as I once did), but it's still light weight and easy to handle.

Each gun that I own has at least one specific purpose, and sometimes they crossover to other purposes.

12 gauge shotguns in home defense configuration and for water fowl hunting.
.410 gauge / .22lr combination for camping and small game.
.22 rifles for small game and target shooting.
.45 acp semi-auto pistols for personal defense.
9mm semi-auto pistols for my wife and daughter personal defense.
.308 bolt action rifles for long range shooting
Battle rifles in .223 and .308
.38spl, .357, and .44 revolvers for target and self defense.
A plethora of others in various calibers and configurations for target, sport, and varmint shooting.

Edited to add: We have enough ammo, that the local Wal-mart calls when they run low. ;?)

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the hubs has a shotgun and a 9mm

I'm wanting a .22 for Christmas. I'm eager to read what people put on here. I need to learn!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
No guns. Too many family members with brain cooties to own one. My red rider bb gun doesn't count...though technically I could shoot my eye out :p

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
No guns. Too many family members with brain cooties to own one. My red rider bb gun doesn't count...though technically I could shoot my eye out :p
:lol:

We have a couple, but they rarely come out of hiding. One of them is still in the box, and we've had it for years.

Honestly, I didn't want any in the house and kicked up a fuss when DH said he wanted it...and I mean a FUSS.

But this whole thing got me thinking, especially since we live way back in the country off the road a good way. There are bear (rarely) poisonous snakes (obviously), wild dogs, coyotes, cydogs....

I used to be very good with a weapon...but that was a million years ago in the military. Home weapons are different. I don't have an M16, SAW or M60 hanging around the house...and that might be a little much ... though grenades sound fun (KIDDING!!).

I need me some edjumacation on some guns and thought I'd start here first.

I'm very interested in what everyone has to say.

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we have two basic, cheapie .22lr rifles. they are mainly for target practice (i'd never shot a gun before) and for taking care of the raccoons etc that we catch in live traps, after they've tried to get at my chickens. i'd love to expand and be able to go deer hunting or have a little handgun for personal safety, but they tend to be pricey so that has to wait a bit.

we store them loaded (safety on though), one in the house and one in the garage... the one in the house is inside a latched closet. (we have no kids, don't know anybody with kids, and would more safely store it if we knew that any kids might come anywhere near, but, it's basically a non-issue.) i think we've got two boxes (approximately) of about 500 rounds on hand, but it's the cheap 22s so it's easy to keep well stocked on bullets for them.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is timely for me. We have no guns here- DH technically owns some, but they are at his parents' house 500 miles away.

We live in town, so we have no need for one here and now, but we are looking very seriously at moving out to the country in the spring, and I think we will probably end up needing one there.

We have bears here, lots of them, and they wander across human habitation pretty frequently. I've never heard of anyone here being killed or even harmed by a bear, but they get after livestock. I don't think I want to be packing adequate firepower to blow a bear away, though, so I'm thinking instead of a giant gun we'll just get a couple of giant guardian dogs, Pyrs or Maremmas. That's what all the dairy farmers have (in addition to Blue Heelers or Border Collies for herding). Local wisdom has it that one Pyr will chase off a bear, and two can take down a bear. To be fair, our bears are small, around 800# for the males.

But even if we solve the bear/wolf/coyote problem with guardian dogs, our venison source is drying up, so I think DH might need a hunting gun. I am really against the idea of a handgun because we have small children and I don't want the responsibility, but I do like the idea of being able to take care of racoons in the chicken coop, or a cottonmouth. Lots to think about.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I carry a double barrel 410 pistol around the place with me during the summer for whatever reason might crop up. Its small, packs a whallop and since I am not that great a shot with a pistol I am assured of hitting any snake that might slither into my path.

At night time when I go out to check the animals I not only have my 410 pistol I also carry my 410 long gun or either my 22 pistol, depending on the noise or my reason for checking. The 20 ga/30-30 over and under is always loaded and my personal favorite gun to keep close by. It can be used for multiple pursoses from shooting squirrels and snakes to killing much larger animals.

There are others that are used for hunting or taget shooting. But the ones who see the most use are listed above.

We keep ammo on hand for all the guns but not an over abundance for most of them. My main stock of ammo is 410's, 16 ga, 20 ga,
22's, 25's, and 30-30's.

My all time - I want gun is a 9MM. I just have not wanted to turn loose the money for that one yet. But I will, sooner or later.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would suggest some sort of pocket pistol. That way you can have it on you at all times but not have to carry it in your hands. In most instances, you don't have time to run back and get a gun. Obviously a rifle would have to be carried unless you can strap it onto your back somehow. A pocket pistol is small and lightweight and easy to carry in your pocket.

Latest posts