Talk to me about GUNS

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
G'day,down here we have "serious " snakes,all of the snakes here rank in the top20 in the world...My choice of weapon is a "steel headed rake",why? you have got 4 ft of handle and its about 1ft wide and you usually break its back with a good hit ,the main thing is that it is moving"away from you",DO NOT attempt to kill a snake with anything other than a shotgun or snakeshot if it is coming toward you unless you are a confident,good marksman....I have "taken on" wild pigs " and foxes ,with just my .22 magnum,but I would prefer a .222 or a .243 if I could afford one.

You can look up our local snakes,Eastern Brown,Red Bellied Black, Tiger,Copperhead.

This is such a good thread,we are severely limited on what weapons we can have and must justify the need with the Police first.

..................................T.O.R............................

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
Please don't take any of my responses as to be argumentative or ugly. None of them are meant that way by any stretch of the imagination. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond and offering your input, and I mean that sincerely.
Oh no - no offense taken. I appreciate your taking a moment to assure me that you meant no offense as well.

As to the occasional egg or chick- note the word "occasional". If some snake or other animal begins to consider my stock an all you can eat buffet, and I can't effectively exclude this animal, it's rifle time. I prefer not to kill wild animals, but I am realistic about it.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I am about the same as KOxxx. Many varieties for many different uses. For the snake thing, I would use either the Mossberg model 500 youth, chambered in .410 that I bought for The Wife or the Taurus Judge Public Defender also chambered for .410 that I also carry for personal defense, if the mood strikes me. I normally carry a Glock model 27 chambered in .40 caliber for my personal defense weapon.
That being said, We keep a firearm of one type or another stashed in every room and building on the property. The shed has a Mossbeg 500 20 gauge, the shop has a Glock model 22 chambered in .40 cal. , the kitchen has a Mossberg 500 12 gauge and I normally sleep with the Taurus Judge, and I carry the Glock .40 at all times.
The Wife has a Mossberg 500 20 gauge on her side of the bed, and she carries a S&W Air-Light chambered in .22 long rifle. For battle rifles we have a Rock River .223 pistol, a Remington R-15, also in .223 and I just purchased a Rock River Varmint(sniper) w/26 in barrel, chambered in .308, plus various other pieces in different calibers. My favorite fun type gun is the Colt Anaconda w/ an 8 in vented barrel chambered in .44 magnum. It bucks, snorts, goes BOOM, and throws a lot of flame and smoke. :lol:

Wal-Mart also calls us when they run low on ammo. :D :D

SO far this year I have had to dispatch 4 raccoons that were thinking my chickens looked a might tasty, 2 ferrel cats that were thinking the same thing, and about a dozen rabbits that thought I had planted the garden strictly for their dietary needs. They were mistaken. :D

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good questions and responses. I've often carried a .22 auto pistol with me when I find that there has been signs of vermin attacking my chickens or other animals. Local dogs do come on my farm from time to time but after 1 warning call to the neighbor most likely to own him, I assured him that the next time I see their dog I won't call or discuss it but "sparky" won't be coming home.

On one occasion, I found it necessary to terminate two dogs who were killing a cat in my farm yard in the middle of the night by shooting about 75 yards out my kitchen window. The sky was overcast completely and there was what was called a "Wolf moon" which made the light rather good bouncing off of the snow. I had time and I had good position which isn't always the case.

The next morning, it was clear that I shot both of those dogs in the dark, and found the dead cat which turned out NOT to be my cat, but in the dark it was hard to see and I wasn't about to discuss it with the dogs. I talked to a number of the neighbors who denied missing any dogs and all agreed that they would do the same thing. Despite the fact that they were probably feral dogs and were on my farm killing that cat for no good reason, it always bothered me to have to kill ANYTHING. I don't do it lightly and neither should any of us but there are times that put you in a position where choices are limited.

As for snakes, a .22 is a pretty "soft bet" unless you are a seriously "crack shot" with single rounds. On the other hand, the snake shot available for a .22 is the "name of the game".
You are bound to either kill a snake or wound him bad enough that you will be able to terminate their behavior of endangering your livestock.

I would however, suggest that if you really like dogs and really want to protect your home from snakes, that you consider getting a "Jack Russell" terrier. These fierce little dogs are not only "NOT AFRAID" of snakes but they are fierce hunters and killers of snakes. In fact, the government of Guam got all the JR's they could get to hunt and kill the deadly "brown snake" that was migrated to Guam in the wheel wells of aircraft and over-ran their country. The JR will hunt and kill any snake and I, having owned a JR, will attest to the fact that I have seen them kill rattle snakes in my yard when I lived in Pensacola, Florida. They are wonderful dogs to begin with and are not only very "cat-like"in that they are quite independent and they will definitely kill a snake.

If you are a really great shot, are able to "keep your cool" when you have to find and use that gun(which takes some experience) then go for a gun. By the time you go back in the house to find, load and return, the snake will probably NOT have waited for you to threaten it.

Don't forget, every living thing can detect the "I'm going to kill you" vibes that humans or any other animal projects. Even a cockroach will start running for their lives once you decide to kill them so don't expect that snake to stay and fight. Zombies on the other hand don't have that much intelligence.

Frankly, carrying a weapon in areas that have other folks close by might not be the best option for those who are not highly trained with a weapon. That bullet might just destroy something you didn't intend to hit and some might even bounce back and damage you (although that is really quite rare and usually only happens in the movies).

In any case, carrying a gun bigger than .22 around with you is rather inconvenient most of the time if you ask me. Even having a .22 in your pocket or on you hip is just another thing to remember when you go out and I spent a long part of my life "never going anywhere without my weapon" and really didn't like it all that much. The vermin shot back in those days and that took a lot of the bravado out of the issue, believe me.

So, while a gun with good snake shot is probably a better option, for my money, a good, happy, and well adjusted Jack Russell terrier will in my estimation do a better job of keeping snakes and other vermin away from your livestock.

Fortunately here in SDAK, the only snake I have seen is a garter snake but I have heard that Rattlers are coming this way. I'm not sure I will be happy when they show up, but for now, I've been fortunate enough to only have to worry about dogs, coyotes and an occasional owl or hawk.

IMHO
Trim sends
//BT//

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think Icu4dzs is giving some good common sense advice, undoubtably also from REAL experience.

I am going to take a big chance, go out on a limb, and run my mouth off some more about the question here.
First, a couple of caveats: I am no gun guru, I don't spend my days at the range discussing ballistics and don't have a room full of guns. I have just had them around me all my life as a tool for doing certain jobs.
I don't really know your situation, and your exact situation will determine what decsions you should make concerning guns. I will just have to make a coupe of safe assumptions.

I want to start this with the snake question. A snake will only come into your yard for a good reason. There is either a good reason right there in your yard, or it is just passing through on its way to something it needs. Start here by removing all needs for it to be here if you can. Try to exclude it from your henhouse, eliminate brush piles, vermin, so forth.
Next, learn your snakes. They are your neighbors, so like it or not you will have to deal with them. Get a first rate guide like Peterson's Reptiles and Amphibians. Where knowledge begins, fear loses power. Besides that, you will soon learn how to quickly identify what snakes are no threat at all. I also believe a couple of Colubrids in your chicken area, particularly of genus Lampropeltis (kingsnakes) will not only keep your rats down but will also discourage the scary guys from moving in.

Now let's move on to the good stuff - GUNS
I have said that I only will kill an animal if I have to. I also will only cut down a tree if I really have to - and I own a few axes and a chainsaw in case that happens. I also own guns in case there is a need for them. I feel that a good gun or few are just as necessary tools on a homestead as a shovel or a pocket knife. Again, not a whole military level arsenal, just some well thought out choices.
Let me assume you have a semi-rural place in the lower 48, and not a whole lot of experience with guns. I also guess you aren't going to take up deer hunting this year. You also are very unlikely to want to sink a whole boatload of money into guns. If these guesses are way off, sorry no offense intended.

Okay, you can get by with one or two guns. Unless hordes of zombies come up your drive, this should do it.
I would look for a good solid, basic 22 rifle. Marlin makes a very good auto at a very good price - the model 795. I have one and it is a good rifle. You can pick them up at walmart for around $140 here, but your prices may vary. Marlin also has a $25 rebate on them right now. There are better rifles out there, and cheaper ones, but no better rifle at this price, especially not one that actually works like this Marlin.
Next you may want a gun just in case the most unwelcome event takes place. I am talking about a home defense gun. I would recomend a 357 revolver, from some maker such as Charter Arms, Taurus, or Ruger. You don't need to drop the mega$$ that Colt or S&W want. A revolver can sit loaded for ages with no damage to a magazine spring. You can also safely store it with the hammer down on an empty chamber and still have 4-6 rounds (depending on the model) available at the squeeze on the trigger. As to that caliber, 357 will kill any intruder you may have in the lower 48 at close range, so long as you hit it and hit it well. Recoil is a little harsh, but most people can handle it. You're not being asked to enter shooting competition with it, just get proficient.
You can also load up your 357 with 38 special ammo for practice. It is cheaper and less recoil. I think those revolvers are running in the $400 range right now.

If you only want one gun that can do both of the above, there are probably 2 options.
A lot of people will recomend a good shotgun, such as a 12 gauge pump. The Remington 870 is the flagship standard, although other people like Mossbergs and some of us like Winchesters. I have had all of them. This is a very good option, as you can load it up with buckshot or slugs and kill anything up to a bear (maybe a grizzly with very good shot placement) or birdshot, squirrel shot, so forth.
But be warned of a couple of things. One is that ammo is a bit more expensive. I think you will be paying nearly $1 / round. That adds up in practice. The other is RECOIL. A 12 gauge kicks hard. Even I, after shooting them all my life, tend to flinch up after a few rounds.
The other option is a pistol caliber carbine. The Marlin brand here is very good, but the 44 magnum caliber may be more than you want and the 357 magnums are really hard to find, especially at resonable price. Look at the Rossi brand. I think they fall short of the Marlin in quality, but the price is much better and they are still of at least acceptable quality, probably plenty good for your purposes. You can load them up with 38 as well, and pop varmints if you really must.

Just a couple more humble suggestions....
Stay away from the military guns. This is a public relations thing. The public has been taught that "assault weapons" are only possessed by crazy militia types or gang bangers. You can figure the rest of that out for yourself.
Whatever you get - practice. Practice and then practice some more. Not only will it make you a better and safer gun owner, but it can be fun. A day at the range with a 22 rifle and a big box of ammo is about the most fun you can have with your pants on.

As to guns for hordes of zombies, well that is an entirely different conversation altogether.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
Good questions and responses. I've often carried a .22 auto pistol with me when I find that there has been signs of vermin attacking my chickens or other animals. Local dogs do come on my farm from time to time but after 1 warning call to the neighbor most likely to own him, I assured him that the next time I see their dog I won't call or discuss it but "sparky" won't be coming home.

On one occasion, I found it necessary to terminate two dogs who were killing a cat in my farm yard in the middle of the night by shooting about 75 yards out my kitchen window. The sky was overcast completely and there was what was called a "Wolf moon" which made the light rather good bouncing off of the snow. I had time and I had good position which isn't always the case.

The next morning, it was clear that I shot both of those dogs in the dark, and found the dead cat which turned out NOT to be my cat, but in the dark it was hard to see and I wasn't about to discuss it with the dogs. I talked to a number of the neighbors who denied missing any dogs and all agreed that they would do the same thing. Despite the fact that they were probably feral dogs and were on my farm killing that cat for no good reason, it always bothered me to have to kill ANYTHING. I don't do it lightly and neither should any of us but there are times that put you in a position where choices are limited.

As for snakes, a .22 is a pretty "soft bet" unless you are a seriously "crack shot" with single rounds. On the other hand, the snake shot available for a .22 is the "name of the game".
You are bound to either kill a snake or wound him bad enough that you will be able to terminate their behavior of endangering your livestock.

I would however, suggest that if you really like dogs and really want to protect your home from snakes, that you consider getting a "Jack Russell" terrier. These fierce little dogs are not only "NOT AFRAID" of snakes but they are fierce hunters and killers of snakes. In fact, the government of Guam got all the JR's they could get to hunt and kill the deadly "brown snake" that was migrated to Guam in the wheel wells of aircraft and over-ran their country. The JR will hunt and kill any snake and I, having owned a JR, will attest to the fact that I have seen them kill rattle snakes in my yard when I lived in Pensacola, Florida. They are wonderful dogs to begin with and are not only very "cat-like"in that they are quite independent and they will definitely kill a snake.

If you are a really great shot, are able to "keep your cool" when you have to find and use that gun(which takes some experience) then go for a gun. By the time you go back in the house to find, load and return, the snake will probably NOT have waited for you to threaten it.

Don't forget, every living thing can detect the "I'm going to kill you" vibes that humans or any other animal projects. Even a cockroach will start running for their lives once you decide to kill them so don't expect that snake to stay and fight. Zombies on the other hand don't have that much intelligence.

Frankly, carrying a weapon in areas that have other folks close by might not be the best option for those who are not highly trained with a weapon. That bullet might just destroy something you didn't intend to hit and some might even bounce back and damage you (although that is really quite rare and usually only happens in the movies).

In any case, carrying a gun bigger than .22 around with you is rather inconvenient most of the time if you ask me. Even having a .22 in your pocket or on you hip is just another thing to remember when you go out and I spent a long part of my life "never going anywhere without my weapon" and really didn't like it all that much. The vermin shot back in those days and that took a lot of the bravado out of the issue, believe me.

So, while a gun with good snake shot is probably a better option, for my money, a good, happy, and well adjusted Jack Russell terrier will in my estimation do a better job of keeping snakes and other vermin away from your livestock.

Fortunately here in SDAK, the only snake I have seen is a garter snake but I have heard that Rattlers are coming this way. I'm not sure I will be happy when they show up, but for now, I've been fortunate enough to only have to worry about dogs, coyotes and an occasional owl or hawk.

IMHO
Trim sends
//BT//
If you are a really great shot, are able to "keep your cool" when you have to find and use that gun(which takes some experience) then go for a gun.

Frankly, carrying a weapon in areas that have other folks close by might not be the best option for those who are not highly trained with a weapon.

By the time you go back in the house to find, load and return, the snake will probably NOT have waited for you to threaten it.

Well, I USED to be a great shot. I don't believe I've fired anything since I've been out of the military. It's been 12 years now. I am so incredibly out of practice I feel I would need to take a class initially and then move on to a practice range.

As far as being able to keep my cool...well, I have thought about that. I would say that initially, I controlled my panic when Lady was bitten. I hustled her into the house and locked her in the kennel, ran back outside, got the hoe from the shed and ran back to the snake only to find that it had slithered away and I had to find it..in the dark. I was scared - I won't lie. I did have the presents of mind to take a picture of it in case it got away and I would need it for identification (I had my cell phone on me - it has a camera). My adrenaline was pumping so heavily I was shaking and breathing very hard. Those things coupled with the fact that I didn't have my glasses on (I was just going outside to lock up the chickens for the night and didn't need them), I gave 3 ineffectual chops with the hoe before I actually hit it, cutting it in half, and then another chop to decapitate it. What I'm getting at here is, for someone that is inexperienced like me to carry a gun and shoot it with adrenaline high shaking hands, and more than likely miss...I could kill someone. I would have to have much better control.

If I had taken the time and loaded the rifle, the snake would have been gone. The hoe was a better option for me.

I have decided that I will not be carrying a gun all the time. It isn't practical, and bluntly, I don't want that around my kids. I don't want them to see mom always packin,' and I don't think it's safe - though others would disagree. It would be different if we lived with more bear and coyote, but we don't and I think that would be over kill. I want something appropriate for the animal, ready to use, stored safely, though easy to get to in the event I need it. A hoe just won't due for a coyote

I would however, suggest that if you really like dogs and really want to protect your home from snakes, that you consider getting a "Jack Russell" terrier. I never knew JR were snake hunters. This is something to think about. My DH has wanted a JR for years. Frankly, they are not my sort of dog. I'm generally a big dog type - I guess that's because I was raised with them - though I have two small dogs now. I will think it over and discuss it with DH. Thank you for that suggestion.

I'll add pictures in case anyone is interested in seeing them.

776_the_copperhead.jpg

The Copperhead snake. It was 2 ft long. I resized it and you can't see it that well. It wasn't that great of a picture to begin with.

776_lady_copperhead_bite.jpg

Lady's face. You can clearly see the swelling on the right. That's as bad as it got thank goodness. She was in a lot of pain.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Toulle said:
I think Icu4dzs is giving some good common sense advice, undoubtably also from REAL experience.

I am going to take a big chance, go out on a limb, and run my mouth off some more about the question here.
First, a couple of caveats: I am no gun guru, I don't spend my days at the range discussing ballistics and don't have a room full of guns. I have just had them around me all my life as a tool for doing certain jobs.
I don't really know your situation, and your exact situation will determine what decsions you should make concerning guns. I will just have to make a coupe of safe assumptions.

I want to start this with the snake question. A snake will only come into your yard for a good reason. There is either a good reason right there in your yard, or it is just passing through on its way to something it needs. Start here by removing all needs for it to be here if you can. Try to exclude it from your henhouse, eliminate brush piles, vermin, so forth.
Next, learn your snakes. They are your neighbors, so like it or not you will have to deal with them. Get a first rate guide like Peterson's Reptiles and Amphibians. Where knowledge begins, fear loses power. Besides that, you will soon learn how to quickly identify what snakes are no threat at all. I also believe a couple of Colubrids in your chicken area, particularly of genus Lampropeltis (kingsnakes) will not only keep your rats down but will also discourage the scary guys from moving in.

Now let's move on to the good stuff - GUNS
I have said that I only will kill an animal if I have to. I also will only cut down a tree if I really have to - and I own a few axes and a chainsaw in case that happens. I also own guns in case there is a need for them. I feel that a good gun or few are just as necessary tools on a homestead as a shovel or a pocket knife. Again, not a whole military level arsenal, just some well thought out choices.
Let me assume you have a semi-rural place in the lower 48, and not a whole lot of experience with guns. I also guess you aren't going to take up deer hunting this year. You also are very unlikely to want to sink a whole boatload of money into guns. If these guesses are way off, sorry no offense intended.

Okay, you can get by with one or two guns. Unless hordes of zombies come up your drive, this should do it.
I would look for a good solid, basic 22 rifle. Marlin makes a very good auto at a very good price - the model 795. I have one and it is a good rifle. You can pick them up at walmart for around $140 here, but your prices may vary. Marlin also has a $25 rebate on them right now. There are better rifles out there, and cheaper ones, but no better rifle at this price, especially not one that actually works like this Marlin.
Next you may want a gun just in case the most unwelcome event takes place. I am talking about a home defense gun. I would recomend a 357 revolver, from some maker such as Charter Arms, Taurus, or Ruger. You don't need to drop the mega$$ that Colt or S&W want. A revolver can sit loaded for ages with no damage to a magazine spring. You can also safely store it with the hammer down on an empty chamber and still have 4-6 rounds (depending on the model) available at the squeeze on the trigger. As to that caliber, 357 will kill any intruder you may have in the lower 48 at close range, so long as you hit it and hit it well. Recoil is a little harsh, but most people can handle it. You're not being asked to enter shooting competition with it, just get proficient.
You can also load up your 357 with 38 special ammo for practice. It is cheaper and less recoil. I think those revolvers are running in the $400 range right now.

If you only want one gun that can do both of the above, there are probably 2 options.
A lot of people will recomend a good shotgun, such as a 12 gauge pump. The Remington 870 is the flagship standard, although other people like Mossbergs and some of us like Winchesters. I have had all of them. This is a very good option, as you can load it up with buckshot or slugs and kill anything up to a bear (maybe a grizzly with very good shot placement) or birdshot, squirrel shot, so forth.
But be warned of a couple of things. One is that ammo is a bit more expensive. I think you will be paying nearly $1 / round. That adds up in practice. The other is RECOIL. A 12 gauge kicks hard. Even I, after shooting them all my life, tend to flinch up after a few rounds.
The other option is a pistol caliber carbine. The Marlin brand here is very good, but the 44 magnum caliber may be more than you want and the 357 magnums are really hard to find, especially at resonable price. Look at the Rossi brand. I think they fall short of the Marlin in quality, but the price is much better and they are still of at least acceptable quality, probably plenty good for your purposes. You can load them up with 38 as well, and pop varmints if you really must.

Just a couple more humble suggestions....
Stay away from the military guns. This is a public relations thing. The public has been taught that "assault weapons" are only possessed by crazy militia types or gang bangers. You can figure the rest of that out for yourself.
Whatever you get - practice. Practice and then practice some more. Not only will it make you a better and safer gun owner, but it can be fun. A day at the range with a 22 rifle and a big box of ammo is about the most fun you can have with your pants on.

As to guns for hordes of zombies, well that is an entirely different conversation altogether.
Sorry Toulle, I didn't mean to skip over you here. I was responding to ICU and got caught up in the regular goings on around the house and I took me quite a while to finish.

I am going to take a big chance, go out on a limb, and run my mouth off some more about the question here. By all means, please do. That is what the thread is here for. I am open to discussion and suggestion. I hope this thread helps others as well and that they feel free to chime in with questions and concerns of their own.

I think Icu4dzs is giving some good common sense advice, undoubtably also from REAL experience.Yes, I agree that ICU has given some very good common sense advice.

I want to make it clear that I won't be shooting ANY gun until I take a class and go to the practice range. In my mind, it would be idiocy for me to not do that. Military and home weapons are different all together, and I realize that. I wouldn't want a semi automatic weapon in my home unless the zombies come, and I'm not altogether sure they will - but that is another thread all together ( as you said). I am interested in all types of guns people have in their home and why. There are far more knowledgeable and experienced people here and I bow my head to that knowledge. I am the student here.

We are particularly careful to keep everything picked up out of the yard to not provide a place for snakes - keep the grass cut, built the coop up off the ground to discourage rodents and thusly discourage snakes etc. We used to have plenty of feral cats here as well to keep them down, but this past winter seems to have been very hard on them, and I've only seen two this year - a mixed blessing. We live next to the wood line by water - an excellent habitat for copperheads, and I'm aware of that. We have been here since '03 and this was the first one I've ever SEEN. There may have been more but since I generally don't go out after dark I haven't seen them, and from what I understand, that is when they are most active in the warmer months. I know they live here and I accept that and I am familiar with what we have around here. If you live in the country, you're gonna get some creepy crawlies - it's a fact of life. But this thread goes beyond just snakes - I want to be prepared for the other stuff too. (Though I thank you for your advice and suggestions on how to deal with them)

Let me assume you have a semi-rural place in the lower 48, and not a whole lot of experience with guns. I also guess you aren't going to take up deer hunting this year. You also are very unlikely to want to sink a whole boatload of money into guns. If these guesses are way off, sorry no offense intended. No, you're right on here with the exception of hunting. DH is going out this year with some guys this year to learn how. I told him if he didn't learn to hunt, I would and he could stay home with the kids while I was gone. It seems it motivated him. :lol:

I thank you very much for the suggestions on guns. I have shot some of what you have suggested, but that was pre-military days for me, so that was.....oh, lemme see.....back when wooly mammoths we common :lol: and I need to approach them like I have never had any experience with them.

A day at the range with a 22 rifle and a big box of ammo is about the most fun you can have with your pants on. :gig I'm not touching that one.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Toulle said:
The other is RECOIL. A 12 gauge kicks hard. Even I, after shooting them all my life, tend to flinch up after a few rounds.

<snip>

I love my 12gauge. Don't have any trouble with the kick. Trap shooting all afternoon with my Mossberg 500 with it doesn't bother me. My 30.06 Remington 700 deer hunting rifle on the other hand is getting replaced with a .308 soon. I just don't shoot it enough to get good enough for deer hunting, because I end up flinching and that's a NOT GOOD VERY BAD THING when shooting.

As for the 22 rifle - I agree. I even had a friend who is a serious pacifist and new age flake who we dragged along kicking and screaming to the gun range (actually she wanted to come to get over her fear of guns) who decided after an afternoon of shooting the 22 rifle we loaned her, that "it's kinda meditative".

Whatever you get, get something that you can take out to the range and have fun with. The more you use it, the more comfortable you'll feel if you ever need it. Don't just get something and leave it sitting locked up in a safe or whatever and gathering dust.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
Toulle said:
The other is RECOIL. A 12 gauge kicks hard. Even I, after shooting them all my life, tend to flinch up after a few rounds.

<snip>

I love my 12gauge. Don't have any trouble with the kick. Trap shooting all afternoon with my Mossberg 500 with it doesn't bother me. My 30.06 Remington 700 deer hunting rifle on the other hand is getting replaced with a .308 soon. I just don't shoot it enough to get good enough for deer hunting, because I end up flinching and that's a NOT GOOD VERY BAD THING when shooting.

As for the 22 rifle - I agree. I even had a friend who is a serious pacifist and new age flake who we dragged along kicking and screaming to the gun range (actually she wanted to come to get over her fear of guns) who decided after an afternoon of shooting the 22 rifle we loaned her, that "it's kinda meditative".

Whatever you get, get something that you can take out to the range and have fun with. The more you use it, the more comfortable you'll feel if you ever need it. Don't just get something and leave it sitting locked up in a safe or whatever and gathering dust.
Agreed

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
THE VERY BEST GUN....... is the one you have with you when the need arises. ;)

I am going to spout off about the one thing that irritates the snot outta me.........trigger locks! That is about THE most worthless, time consuming, waste of money that anyone ever legislated, patented and produced, period, end of subject. Every firearm that I purchase that HAS a trigger lock, first thing I do is unlock it, second thing is THROW AWAY THE KEY!

First off, if you have children, TEACH THEM HOW TO HANDLE A FIREARM SAFELY,TEACH THEM HOW TO HANDLE A FIREARM SAFELY,TEACH THEM HOW TO HANDLE A FIREARM SAFELY!! THEN get a gun safe AND USE IT. Did I mention TEACH THEM HOW TO HANDLE A FIREARM SAFELY?? If you have idiot relatives that you don't trust around a loaded firearm, then keep your gun on your person and under your control or in the gun safe. No need for a trigger lock and it thins out the idiot relatives hanging around looking for a handout. :lol:
I could NEVER understand WHY, on Gods green earth, you would want to lock up JUST the gun trigger AT NIGHT, yet leave the firearm laying next to the bed?? Around here, night time is when most of the SH'sTF, and, if someone is breaking into my house, I damn sure don't want to waste time trying to find the key to a lock so I can shoot the SOB. Safeties were invented to help stop accidental discharges. Click the safety off and the firearm is HOT. Keep your finger OFF the trigger until your ready to shoot and keep the gun pointed in a safe direction at all times. NEVER point a gun, loaded or unloaded at ANYTHING unless you intend to kill it. Simple BASIC safety rules. Every gun I own that is NOT in the gun safe, is loaded, has a round IN THE PIPE and the safety engaged, with the exception of my Glocks.
To my way of thinking, an unloaded or a locked firearm without a key, is basically just a club and pretty much useless.
Third........if you are so unsure of your ability to control a trigger, or the rest of the firearm for that matter, that you think you NEED a trigger lock, then you have no business handling a firearm in the first place.

OK...rant off.

Latest posts