Talk to me about GUNS

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have an old 30-30, have no idea how old or what kind. But the bullets I have for it say 30-30 WIN

It is shorter than most 30-30s I've see, not by much though.. Every one in our family calls it a saddle gun. My uncles call it the girly gun, since its smaller.

My grandma gave it to me, she stopped hunting deer. So she didnt need it any more. And my mom, aunt, and uncles inherited all my grandpas guns.. I have never shot this gun. But boy does it need cleaned. Which I dont know how to do. Dont have family around here any more and I dont trust just any one with it.. Does any one know of a book that I can read that will teach me to care for it properly..

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Sunny said:
I have an old 30-30, have no idea how old or what kind. But the bullets I have for it say 30-30 WIN

It is shorter than most 30-30s I've see, not by much though.. Every one in our family calls it a saddle gun. My uncles call it the girly gun, since its smaller.

My grandma gave it to me, she stopped hunting deer. So she didnt need it any more. And my mom, aunt, and uncles inherited all my grandpas guns.. I have never shot this gun. But boy does it need cleaned. Which I dont know how to do. Dont have family around here any more and I dont trust just any one with it.. Does any one know of a book that I can read that will teach me to care for it properly..
If you can look at it and find a manufacturers name (Winchester, Remington, etc.) and a model number, there's a good chance that I can locate a digital copy of the manual for you.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Sunny said:

If you can look at it and find a manufacturers name (Winchester, Remington, etc.) and a model number, there's a good chance that I can locate a digital copy of the manual for you.
I will go look at it. I dont know much about it except for my grandma hunted with it every year. And from what I over heard the family talking about it. I've not even had it for a year. I will PM you with the info.. Thank you

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
k15n1 said:
Is a gun is an effective weapon against a snake.
You're kidding, right?
I'm confused by this response. Is a gun the best choice of weapons to kill a snake? Yes or no.

Seems like something wider than the snake would be helpful. Obviously, a 22 bullet is narrow compared to a snake, so it make it difficult to actually hit it.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am sure there are more qualified people to answer this question but I will try.

There is a specific type of ammo called snake shot. It is a spray if little pieces, not sure what shape. They make it for most guns. So when you shoot a snake you would be sure to hit it.

G

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sunny said:
k0xxx said:
Sunny said:

I will go look at it. I dont know much about it except for my grandma hunted with it every year. And from what I over heard the family talking about it. I've not even had it for a year. I will PM you with the info.. Thank you
I sent you the info.. I messed up on the first PM.. Sent you correct type.. I messed up on one letter, its so worn from age and use it was hard to read.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't kill snakes. Call me some hippy or whatever, but it isn't that. I used to kill snakes, and killed 100s. I even bragged about it. One, and only one, did I ever use a gun on. That was a rattler I shot with a 22 when I was young drunk and stupid. Now my outlook on the world is different. I only kill things as a last resort, or if I intend to eat it. I swore I would never kill anything ever again for lesser reasons.
I don't have chickens now, but have in some times past. I consider the occasional egg or chick cheap pay to any snake who wants to come about and eat rats for me.

I don't mean this in a mean way, but I simply don't have any patience for people who feel the need for a gun simply to "protect" themselves from little critters. If I lived in bear country, I am sure things would be different. Or, if I lived in a more, let's say urban area, I would be armed to the teeth.

Now, do I own a gun? Oh yeah of course I do. My guns, however, are part of a carefully planned tool kit. Each has a specific "mission" and all must be one of FOUR calibers.
More details or long-winded advice on what YOU should get would be wasted space. I am sure most every homestead has its own needs. The best I can say is you need to carefully analyze what you may ever REALISTICALLY have to call on your gun(s) to do. From there, decide on as few different calibers as you can get away with, and then shop for guns in those calibers. You will probably have to compromise a bit here, as no single gun is perfect for every job you may have.

Go for versatility. Example: if you have coyotes, a .223 will work very well on them. However, a 30-30 will also work on them and kill deer or feral pigs very well, too.

Don't look for bargains. Get the best quality you can afford. A cheap hunting rifle is wasted money. In the case of home defense weapons, you could possibly be betting your life on the function of your weapon. Do you want to cut costs there?

In any event, I wouldn't waste ammo on snakes

I'm gonna be watching this thread....

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
k0xxx said:
k15n1 said:
Is a gun is an effective weapon against a snake.
You're kidding, right?
I'm confused by this response. Is a gun the best choice of weapons to kill a snake? Yes or no.

Seems like something wider than the snake would be helpful. Obviously, a 22 bullet is narrow compared to a snake, so it make it difficult to actually hit it.
If you were confused, it was only because I was also. You asked "Is a gun is an effective weapon against a snake", but I see now that what you wanted to know was "Is a gun the best choice of weapons to kill a snake?". Those are two entirely different questions, at least from my perspective. Yes a gun is VERY effective against a snake, but it would depend on your level of skill, and where the encounter took place, as to whether a gun would be the best choice of weapons to kill a snake.

Most of the venomous snakes that I encounter out in the open, in my rural area, are quickly and effectively dispatched with a .22. Being the toddling old coot that I am, and sometimes prone to falling down, I prefer not to get any closer to them than I have to. Somehow the idea of really pi$$ing off a 5 or 6 foot diamondback with a shovel and the tripping on a rock and laying next to it, does not seem appealing. However, in the chicken coop or somewhere else where t would be impractical to use a gun, most anything with a good reach will do the trick. AND if it is the aforementioned really large diamondback in the coop, I'd probably rather just patch the hole in the coop from the gun, than to attempt to otherwise kill it in such close quarters. YMMV

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Toulle said:
I don't kill snakes. Call me some hippy or whatever, but it isn't that. I used to kill snakes, and killed 100s. I even bragged about it. One, and only one, did I ever use a gun on. That was a rattler I shot with a 22 when I was young drunk and stupid. Now my outlook on the world is different. I only kill things as a last resort, or if I intend to eat it. I swore I would never kill anything ever again for lesser reasons.
I don't have chickens now, but have in some times past. I consider the occasional egg or chick cheap pay to any snake who wants to come about and eat rats for me.

I don't mean this in a mean way, but I simply don't have any patience for people who feel the need for a gun simply to "protect" themselves from little critters. If I lived in bear country, I am sure things would be different. Or, if I lived in a more, let's say urban area, I would be armed to the teeth.

Now, do I own a gun? Oh yeah of course I do. My guns, however, are part of a carefully planned tool kit. Each has a specific "mission" and all must be one of FOUR calibers.
More details or long-winded advice on what YOU should get would be wasted space. I am sure most every homestead has its own needs. The best I can say is you need to carefully analyze what you may ever REALISTICALLY have to call on your gun(s) to do. From there, decide on as few different calibers as you can get away with, and then shop for guns in those calibers. You will probably have to compromise a bit here, as no single gun is perfect for every job you may have.

Go for versatility. Example: if you have coyotes, a .223 will work very well on them. However, a 30-30 will also work on them and kill deer or feral pigs very well, too.

Don't look for bargains. Get the best quality you can afford. A cheap hunting rifle is wasted money. In the case of home defense weapons, you could possibly be betting your life on the function of your weapon. Do you want to cut costs there?

In any event, I wouldn't waste ammo on snakes

I'm gonna be watching this thread....
Well, I must say, I'm not typically the gun totin' type. I'm usually armed with a crochet hook, vacuum cleaner, or a stir spoon. I believe in letting nature be in general - God put it there for a reason.

However, in an instance like this where there was a copperhead snake in the middle of my yard that just bit my dog where my children normally play - I was gonna kill it, and that was the end of that. That being said, my intent is not to go on a search and destroy mission and kill em all. This is for protection of me and my family - weather it's a snake or coyotes or whatever.

I consider the occasional egg or chick cheap pay to any snake who wants to come about and eat rats for me. I have read on other forums that other people believe this as well, but I don't know if I necessarily agree with it. I believe if we have animals, it is our responsibility to take care of them and to protect them from predators. I don't think letting a snake eat them is protecting them.

I only kill things as a last resort, or if I intend to eat it. I totally agree with you here, but I think your last resort and mine are a bit different.

I don't mean this in a mean way, but I simply don't have any patience for people who feel the need for a gun simply to "protect" themselves from little critters. I'm not offended, but for me, if there is something venomous or deadly or in some other way unreasonably threatening to me and my family - little critter or not - I'm gonna kill it.

Please don't take any of my responses as to be argumentative or ugly. None of them are meant that way by any stretch of the imagination. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond and offering your input, and I mean that sincerely.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
k15n1 said:
k0xxx said:
You're kidding, right?

If you were confused, it was only because I was also. You asked "Is a gun is an effective weapon against a snake", but I see now that what you wanted to know was "Is a gun the best choice of weapons to kill a snake?". Those are two entirely different questions, at least from my perspective. Yes a gun is VERY effective against a snake, but it would depend on your level of skill, and where the encounter took place, as to whether a gun would be the best choice of weapons to kill a snake.

Most of the venomous snakes that I encounter out in the open, in my rural area, are quickly and effectively dispatched with a .22. Being the toddling old coot that I am, and sometimes prone to falling down, I prefer not to get any closer to them than I have to. Somehow the idea of really pi$$ing off a 5 or 6 foot diamondback with a shovel and the tripping on a rock and laying next to it, does not seem appealing. However, in the chicken coop or somewhere else where t would be impractical to use a gun, most anything with a good reach will do the trick. AND if it is the aforementioned really large diamondback in the coop, I'd probably rather just patch the hole in the coop from the gun, than to attempt to otherwise kill it in such close quarters. YMMV
I see. I was just curious. We have serious winter up here in MN, so there are not many dangerous snakes. Good thing too, because I don't have any guns and even if I did, I might miss. The shotgun sounded like a good suggestion, but then you'd have to carry it around...

Latest posts