Talk to me about Raised Beds please DH and I can't agree

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
Well I can't say that I can give you any advice on the beds, because I didn't know that till or no till was an option for raised beds! :rolleyes: :lol:

I can say that by posting this topic, you probably saved my DH and I the same kind of argument!

I know how you feel on those kinds of things. Last year we had the chicken coop fight, and this Jan we had the to plant a garden/ not to plant a garden/where to plant it/where not to plant it fight. :th

:hugs

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Quail.....tell your hubby that I said to park the tiller and go grab a beer instead. He is doing a lot of work that doesn't need to be done.

I have NEVER tilled BEFORE building a raised bed. I build the box, set it where I want it, fill it and PLANT IT. I don't even set the posts in the ground first. When I build my boxes, I just leave the corner posts about 4 inches long, and dig just enough of a hole to let the box set level, fill it, then have at it. Once that box is full of soil,it ain't gonna go anywhere. :lol: And if any weeds grow thru the 2 foot of more of soil to reach sunshine, they they deserve to live! :lol:

356602278.jpg

356602281.jpg

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Quail.....tell your hubby that I said to park the tiller and go grab a beer instead. He is doing a lot of work that doesn't need to be done.

I have NEVER tilled BEFORE building a raised bed. I build the box, set it where I want it, fill it and PLANT IT. I don't even set the posts in the ground first. When I build my boxes, I just leave the corner posts about 4 inches long, and dig just enough of a hole to let the box set level, fill it, then have at it. Once that box is full of soil,it ain't gonna go anywhere. :lol: And if any weeds grow thru the 2 foot of more of soil to reach sunshine, they they deserve to live! :lol:

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL264/2074170/10842722/356602278.jpg

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL264/2074170/10842722/356602281.jpg
Yes! Those are exactly what I had envisioned when I thought of raised beds..

Wanna come pin hubby down while I go build my beds? I'll have beer here for you, too!!

Honestly, trying to keep DH from doing stuff is like....well it's like telling the sun not to shine. He's a workaholic and can't stand not having his hands busy.

I should put him to crocheting an afghan.....

I do apologise for complaining, I love my husband, it was just a rare occassion where we couldn't agree. Doesn't happen too often. We're over it, have apologised and um...kissed and made up...so.... LOL

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There are many different ways to garden. When breaking up the ground for the first time when making a new raised bed, using a rotary tiller would be a reasonable option in my opinion. After the first time, a rotary tiller would not be necessary. Depending on the soil type, it can be very difficult to break up the ground with just hand tools, like a shovel; but it can be done that way as well. I was digging the other day with a shovel to make two new raised beds for strawberries. We have hard clay soil where I live so it was definitely back breaking work. If I had access to a rotary tiller, I would have used it.

PS Dont feel too bad about the argument with your DH. Just about every time my husband and I start a new project, we usually disagree, and sometimes even have arguments. Between the two of us, we usually come up with pretty good ideas; but at times, that can involve some pretty intense discussions. LOL

Latest posts