TanksHill...Roll on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think maybe you should tell you 4 yo to come back and turn it off. Maybe the inconvience will make the point.
That reminds me, one time I left the kitchen sink running, my dh called me outside to see something. Of course I got side tracked. To make a long story short. There is now a hole in the drywall on the roof of my garage. Garage is under house. Not good. :hide

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sunday May 24th,

Well I tried to have a productive weekend. did most of my house chores and laundry on Fri. Spent Sat out in the yard. Weeded, removed some rotted fence boards. Worked for a few hours in the garden. I had the little fiasco with the worm farm and rabbit hutch. But for the most part it was a good day. My dh put some new fancy pulleys on my closthes line. It slides really smooth now. We had my fil's tractor here so when he cam to get it we asked if he could smooth and scrape the yard. We are hoping to put in a patio soon. Just waiting for the contractor to get us more free pavers then install them.

Then this morning around 5:30 am when I got up I could her my Roo complaining up a storm. I went out on my porch to see what he was squawking about. He was out cruising around. Not good considering my run is enclosed. So I went out in my pj's to see what was up. The bird netting on the top of the run had fallen in. I imagined the roo flew the coop to get out to the orchard. So I let all the girls out to hang outside for the day. That's when I noticed I was a few hens short. I did a head count and 5 were missing. I figured they had gotten out as well and were all ready in the neighbors orchard. Well then I came back to the house I got a call from the neighbor. He said he had a massacre of feathers around his house. So I went back out and looked again. I found another two spots with feathers on the ground.

So I guess the coyotes had a good night. I am not sure how many I actually lost. I will do a head count tonight and see who comes back. I do wonder though if the coyotes or whatever ate them jumped into the run through the netting. I have never had a problem with this before. Maybe the netting just fell in and the flighty birds got out. Then the coyotes got them, Who knows. The only weird thing is we did not hear any coyotes last night. Which makes me wonder what actually killed all the birds. Hummmm!!!

I spent the morning sewing and finished two sundresses for my girls. They like the dresses and they did not take to long to make once I got going.

I picked a zip lock full of green and wax beans today. I have another round of zucchini's in a few days.

were off to the in laws for dinner. My dh is going to work on a wood door for his dad. Not closing right.

have a great day.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Cute dresses. I love the color.

Sorry about the chickens. Wonder if it was dogs instead?

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Now I might just be only getting my chickens, but back on the homestead, I spent a few nights in the rafters of the barn. We have coyotes here too, but what your telling me is not the handy work of coyotes, sounds more like coons to me.

They, I say they, because I killed three coons the second night in the rafters. They had found a way to open the wire under the roof outside. Although I was in the rafters, they had made their way under the eves.

In the pen they killed several hens including one of our roos. In the pen we found many feathers/blood, some bodies. Outside scattered we found feather spots and heads where the chickens were dragged outside and eaten.

The first night we spent in the rafters didn't produce anything, up till all hours, hot, but ready just in case. Got on with chores the next morning, hung out, showered and stood watch the second night.

I must have doozed off when I herd a shot, and Bobby was shouting to me to shoot those coons. I was half asleep, but saw those buggers in the pen. It wasn't one but a whole clan, I got one on the floor, and shot the other two while they were trying to make their way out of the coop.

Sounds like coons to me.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Jay, you never know. I have seen raccoons around here a couple times in the past 10 years but they are not very common. We had no blood or body parts any where. Just a few feathers.

Last night I secured the netting a bit better. One thing I think I may have not mentioned in my original post. I left the sprinkler on under one of my trees in the orchard. I forgot to turn it off in the evening.

Yes I know what a waste of water. Around here coyotes are attracted to water sources. They chew off sprinkler heads all the time.

So I basically set up a buffet. Water and chicken. I feel very responsible for what happened.

I guess I learned that lesson the hard way. :/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nice dresses Gina....the girls will get alot of use from them over the summer!!

Sorry about the hens. Yup, everything wants to eat our chickens...LOL---we lost alot in the past from mainly coons and skunks. They do more damage then all the other critters put together for me.

Always some type of battle to fight trying to outwit the critters! LOL

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Funny to read your post this morning....yesterday AM I fed the chicks and the dog at about 8-8:15, a few minutes later I heard one of the hens squawking and then the dog started howling. I went out and looked around but saw nothing and all the hens were busy eating as if nothing had happened. About 45 minutes later Dh was sitting on the sofa drinking his coffee when he spotted a coyote on the hill behind out house he was making his way towards the fence and clearly watching the chickens. I went out there and threw some rocks in his direction but he just stood and stared right at me, no fear at all!

I am a little nervous now. I let the girls out later than usual this morning, after I got home from driving kids to school, just because with the windows open I can hear if something is going on.

I hope your chickens are safe now!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks Dace, I plan to keep the hens locked up for a good week or so. We have had coyotes walk through my in laws yard no more that 30 ft from us and just stare us down. They have no fear. Scary!! I think it's that time of year when water is scarce and they start coming down from the hills. We all need to be careful.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Wow, honey, that's scary! I have only had to deal with smaller critters, nothing that big or menacing. Good luck, hope whatever it was doesn't come back. How's the puppy?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
He's enormous. Such a little devil and going on about 45lbs I think. I can't believe how fast they grow. We got him on March 23 at about 15lb. So thats what 30 pounds in two months. He's finally mastering the whole potty training thing. We are spending lots of time in the garden so we are just outside more. You would not believe he steals carrots from the garden. Knows right where they are planted. Does a drive by pulls the top and takes off running. I yelled at him for it but couldn't help smiling at the same time. I guess it my fault for giving him carrots straight from the bed. Funny dog. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.