TanksHill...Roll on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:thumbsup Glad to see the helmet on your horse gal!

WOW I love your raised beds. Even crippled old me could grow some veggies in those boxes. LOOKING GOOD! :cool:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
:thumbsup Glad to see the helmet on your horse gal!

WOW I love your raised beds. Even crippled old me could grow some veggies in those boxes. LOOKING GOOD! :cool:
I didn't see a helmet on the horse. I did see one on the child, though. :hide

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:lol: Silly girl, horses only wear their helmets when in the trailer! :gig

No, I just mentioned it because I always wear a helmet, my kids always wear helmets even when showing Western! They have always placed just as well in shows and other events, but still there are so many that opt for fashion over safety.

Warning gruesome story to follow:

I have a friend who lost her child due to a riding accident. The child slipped off of a dead broke 30 year old horse who jumped when he was hit by a piece of gravel. The horse began to run and the child was snagged on the saddle. The horse's back foot was striking her daughter's head. As the horse went past my friend the child's brain literally fell out.

We had made the decision to always ride in a helmet BEFORE I ever met this friend. That just cemented the deal. I grew up like most of you, riding bareheaded and barefooted for the most part. My children grew up in a wiser world.

There have been many professional horse people that were killed or even severely disabled due to head trauma.

Sorry for the rant on your journal Tanks. :hide

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:sick I'm sorry but I don't like horses they scare me to death. It takes a lot for me to let my kids ride them. But Auntie is pretty safe. It's the one area of her life where I think she does not through caution to the wind.

A couple years back her daughter was cleaning up poop. She walked behind a horse. It kicked her in the face. Her upper cheek. She was very lucky to not have a broken cheek bone or head. After SIL took her to the hospital CPS came out to investigate with the sheriff. They were giving her a hard time abut wearing helmets. She had to explain several times that the child was not riding the horse.

You know Ca, we have laws for this stuff. Bikes, Motorcycles, horses all require helmets. :p My dh always says that is why he likes his motorcycle instead of a horse. He can turn off the key, it can't kick you and you don't have to clean up the poop. :gig

Thanks for the compliment on the garden boxes. I love them. We have a added a couple every few years. They have wire on the bottom to keep the gophers out. The tall ones are a bit of wasted lumber. But if I amend them enough the soil is nice and deep and the rabbits don't get in. And your right FF. There just tall enough to rest your bum on. :D

My onion sets are starting to peep through. :clap

I slept awful last night. Which had my mind running. My knee was really sore, my shoulder hurt. I was trying to think why??? Then inflammation came to mind for both. Do you think there is anything in that Bob's Red Mill flour that could be bugging me? Kinda in reverse of helping DD? I know it's far fetched but I am normally pretty healthy. That is the only thing in my diet that has changed. It just seems too coincidental. :hu

I think I am ging to avoid it for a while.

g

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I know of nothing in the flour, but this massive storm system that is effecting the whole country could be part of the problem. It seems like when storms move through I am ALWAYS more stiff and sore.

That is what I thought about those boxes!

Tell me again what you made them out of, so I can be even more jealous. :p

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My dh will only use Redwood. They are 2 x 6 boards. The big, tall ones are 4 x 12 ft. This will be the 3rd season for them. The low ones in front are actually about 8 years old. They are 4 x 8ft. There are 3 more on the far side of the yard against the fence. He built them for me last year on Mothers day. There are 3, 2 x 8 boxes.

If that makes sense.

It really is amazing how much I can grow in them. This year I really want to stick to things we use a lot of. So I am doing one whole box of peppers. Another box of green beans. I am using the 3 new ones for my tomatoes. and probably tying them up to cattle panels.

The planter where my pumpkins grew so well is now inside the chicken field. Not sure what to do there.

I need to pick up some more red wood bark to spread around. The area used to be my kids swing set. So when we decided to put in boxes I raked back all the bark and put down new weed fabric. Industrial stuff. Then placed the big boxes and raked all the bark back over the top. The weeds sometimes grow on top of the fabric but they are very easy to pull. So every year I just add a couple bags of redwood chips. Helps everything look neat and clean.

Thats about it. :idunno

g

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Well they look great! The Redwood is I am sure is responsible for their longevity. Around here that is pricey wood though.

I would probably still be planting in the chicken yard planter if it was me. I bet you can find some crops that would benefit from the hen attention. Like maybe broccoli or cabbages that have a lot of worm problems?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, as long as I keep them out until the plants start growing. Usually they are fine. It's the seedlings that get ran over.

Well I made an appointment with the doc to look at my shoulder. I can't stand it any more. Not sure what she can do. Maybe I should have gone straight to the Chiropractor?

:idunno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts